A4 (B9 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B9 Audi A4 2017-

At the dealership - random observations.

Search this Thread

Old 06-16-2017, 07:43 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Seat comfort seems pretty subjective... I love the non-sport seats in my Q5. Thigh extenders are useless if your legs don't benefit from having them.

Carplay, like iOS, is garbage. It's a terrible UI for use in a car. I have both an iPhone and a Pixel and only one phone ever gets connected to MMI. Android Auto isn't perfect by any means, but at least we get the option to use both systems. Android Auto is much easier to use without looking at the screen.

I've had 0 issues with the MMI. What's troublesome about it? It doesn't have a grid of icons like her iPhone? Meh. Buy a BMW then.

Not sure what point you're trying to make about dealerships. Some are great, some suck. What's new?

Originally Posted by bob m
So I went into the dealer's today for an oil change and some quick random observations while checking some cars in the showroom.

1. The standard seats on the Q5 are not at all comfortable.
2. Most any seat without thigh extenders will never be as comfortable as one with thigh extenders.
3. I would only get sport seats (bolsters) no matter which model or brand car.
4. I checked out 2 2017 A5's - one with a 3.0 and one with a 2.0 (don't remember the level) but when I closed the door on that 2.0 A5, it was the tiniest sounding door I ever experienced and I opened and closed it many times. Not the case on any other car there
including the 3.0 A5.What the heck is that about?
5. I was speaking with another customer who was having her 2017 Allroad in for a nail in the tire fix.
A. She loves her Allroad, but MMI is very troublesome and Appleplay works only intermittently.
B.While looking to buy an Allroad some months back, she called another local dealership to ask about a buying/leasing an Allroad and wanted to test drive one. They said ok. When she got there, they said there was only one Allroad and that was in the showroom
and they would not let here drive it and that it could even be sold! What the heck! She would never go back to that dealer again, obviously. But she had no problem getting a test drive and buying one at the dealer we were at. Dealers - one bad experience
can sour future orders!
6. Above issue aside, dealerships do try to satisfy their customers.
Old 06-16-2017, 08:18 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 7 Likes on 2 Posts

Yes, especially when I see how nice the other cars look with a norma, properly placed screen.
I'm with Bob. The fixed nav screen popping up like someone shoved an iPad into an otherwise elegant cabin is a turn-off to me.
Old 06-17-2017, 01:00 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Of all the fixed screens I've seen at least the Audi one looks most like it belongs there. And driving down the road I'm sure the assumption by most observers is it pops right out of the dash.
Old 06-17-2017, 04:09 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 49 Likes on 34 Posts

Originally Posted by agarcnyc
Seat comfort seems pretty subjective... I love the non-sport seats in my Q5. Thigh extenders are useless if your legs don't benefit from having them.

Carplay, like iOS, is garbage. It's a terrible UI for use in a car. I have both an iPhone and a Pixel and only one phone ever gets connected to MMI. Android Auto isn't perfect by any means, but at least we get the option to use both systems. Android Auto is much easier to use without looking at the screen.

I've had 0 issues with the MMI. What's troublesome about it? It doesn't have a grid of icons like her iPhone? Meh. Buy a BMW then.

Not sure what point you're trying to make about dealerships. Some are great, some suck. What's new?
You are right - seats comfort is subjective, actually very subjective. I like the bolstering of the sport seats - first on my 2014 Q5, then my 2016 Macan (the Macan's 14 way seats were the most comfortable seats I ever sat in) now in Allroad, but some people may find them too confining. Seat comfort is something very important - even critical for me - both being 64 and having back issues, but even as a short guy -5' 6" I use the thigh adjustment extended a bit, I find it helpful for support. It could possibly be that if someone (not you in particular) has not tried them, they don't know what they are missing and wonder why their legs/back is a little sore on long drives.

Actually I was somewhat surprised getting into all the non sport seats there including the Q5, how short/deep the seats actually are. But this was not the case on the Q7. But having owned 2 Q5's I can say without hesitation that the 2017 standard seats simply are not comfortable as on my 2014 Q5 (forget the thigh extensions and bolstering for a moment) due to lack of cushioning. This has been mentioned on the Q5 forum. But if that works for you, that is all that matters. Again not the issue with the Q7 - the 2 cars were right next to each other and I went back and forth a few times to verify (it's amazing the things one can do out of a mixture of curiosity and boredom at a dealer)

Actually, I was making observations, not points - again very subjective and certainly nothing earth shattering. But regarding dealerships - I think the vast majority (that I have been in) go out of their way to make the customer experience a positive one and that a mishandling - like the one I mentioned, has caused that dealership any further business from that customer as well as recommendations for her friends.
Old 06-17-2017, 04:14 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Originally Posted by dseag2
I've read that the next gen A6 and A7 will come with non-retractable screens just like the A4 because very few people actually retract them when the leave the car.
That may very well be the case, but I am betting if that happens, the screens will be more elegantly placed than on the ones now. I wonder what a discerning customer about to spend 100k on a A8 would think about that screen - as it now exists on his dash. I think Audi would dare do it.
Old 06-17-2017, 04:28 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Originally Posted by Versprechen
Of all the fixed screens I've seen at least the Audi one looks most like it belongs there. And driving down the road I'm sure the assumption by most observers is it pops right out of the dash.
Well, not sure about that, but looks to be equally as poor a placement as on the MB C class.
Attached Images  
Old 06-17-2017, 05:31 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

IMO BMW's dash mounted screens look the best. Being rectangular they can incorporate them into the shape of the dash better.
Old 06-17-2017, 05:40 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 491 Likes on 335 Posts

Well, not sure about that, but looks to be equally as poor a placement as on the MB C class.
No, it isn't.

The Audi screen is angled to the driver. The Mercedes screen is not (same issue in the Mercedes E class with the twin TFT screens - they are not angled to the driver and I found it awkward to read the right hand side of that display). The Audi screen matches all the trim lines and materials of the dashboard, the Mercedes screen looks aftermarket in comparison.

Presumably Mercedes likes to point its screens straight ahead so the rear passengers can read the information and instruct their driver to make changes?

You're right, such concerns are subjective. I never retracted the screen in my A7, and struggle to understand why anyone would have wanted to. I'm not concerned what it looks like when I am not in it.

The C8 models will have multiple integrated screens - the design direction will be similar to the D5 A8, which appears next month. With the advent of VC type binnacle displays, and an apparent development of HUD, the central screen is becoming more peripheral in function, so less need for a high eye point.
Old 06-17-2017, 07:30 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'm not a fan of the screen's aesthetic, but my main concern is that the visible, dashboard-mounted screen might encourage break-ins.

If the screen did retract, I would absolutely, positively retract it each and every time I exited the car.
Old 06-17-2017, 07:54 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 132 Likes on 108 Posts

Originally Posted by ajbutler13
I'm not a fan of the screen's aesthetic, but my main concern is that the visible, dashboard-mounted screen might encourage break-ins.

If the screen did retract, I would absolutely, positively retract it each and every time I exited the car.
The screens do retract on those vehicles with retractable screens when you shut off & exit the car. I quite often retract the screen in my A6 when not needing the Nav function. Off course, if you put it in reverse, the screen pops back up. Also, I agree about the break-in potential that was previously posted. Some low-life druggy thinking its an Ipad.

Quick Reply: At the dealership - random observations.