A4 (B9 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B9 Audi A4 2017-

Decisions! 2017-18 vs 2019 A4

Search this Thread

Old 04-10-2018, 10:24 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Decisions! 2017-18 vs 2019 A4

Hey everyone. I am ready to buy my first Audi. I have been keeping an eye on all the local(Bay Area) CPO A4 B9 Premium Plus models. I am upgrading from a 2011 Mustang that I have outgrown and hate driving(please don't judge).

My question, is, should I look for a good deal on a 2017-18 model or wait until the 2019 A4's come out? I am not in a huge rush to purchase, but lets face it, i'm ready.

To me, the A4 is timeless, which is a reason many people love this car. This fact, I think, would make me happy with the 17-18 model regardless of the 2019 facelift (if happening).

Does anyone here have a A4 B9 that can't sleep at night knowing there may be a drastic body change? Thank you!!
Old 04-10-2018, 11:54 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

If you don't mind the potential styling changes for the 2019 or 2020 model year, then a CPO 17/18 car is very nice indeed.

If you can wait, I would. Either its a hit and you proceed with the 2019, or you don't like it as much and prices on 17/18 will have come down further than where they are today.

That said, if it is coming in 2019, we should get some details by fall. Usually Europe gets the updates first and we haven't seen anything yet so my guess its coming mid/late 2019 to the states??? Even if it comes stateside in 2020, the reveal for Europe should come later this year so you don't have THAT long to wait...

Personally I suffer greatly from "latest and greatest" syndrome - a very costly condition - but with cars, it can be hit or miss as styling is 100% subjective.

Depending on how it looks, I'm gunning for a B9.5 S4
Old 04-10-2018, 11:55 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 21 Likes on 20 Posts

Originally Posted by majestictiger
Hey everyone. I am ready to buy my first Audi. I have been keeping an eye on all the local(Bay Area) CPO A4 B9 Premium Plus models. I am upgrading from a 2011 Mustang that I have outgrown and hate driving(please don't judge).

My question, is, should I look for a good deal on a 2017-18 model or wait until the 2019 A4's come out? I am not in a huge rush to purchase, but lets face it, i'm ready.

To me, the A4 is timeless, which is a reason many people love this car. This fact, I think, would make me happy with the 17-18 model regardless of the 2019 facelift (if happening).

Does anyone here have a A4 B9 that can't sleep at night knowing there may be a drastic body change? Thank you!!
You should wait and see until they released official information regarding the 2019 A4; I've been hearing that it's a redesign so that could be in for a good/bad direction. I personally like the current A4 design and as you said, it is timeless. Though, I wish they put a little more effort into the interior.

I'm waiting for the 2019 now (I said that last year with the 2018 lol), and if you don't like/want to get the 2019, get the 2018 models while dealers phase them out so you get good deals for it.
Old 04-10-2018, 01:10 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

I picked up a 17 premium plus/tech/sport as a CPO with 7500 miles and saved $12k from msrp when new.
Those fine scratches in the paint from the previous owner using an automatic car wash are the only difference I've found from new...and now I don't feel guilty for using an auto carwash myself.
The added warranty is better than new. Use some of the savings for Audicare prepaid maintenance and then enjoy your car.
Waiting for the latest thing is a game you'll never win with automobiles or tech.
​​​​​​
Old 04-10-2018, 01:57 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

You should always think about, and be careful, when purchasing the first year of a redesign based on what Audi decides to do with the A4. The 17-18 is bullet-proof and rated as the #1 car in Consumer Reports in its category so you know what you're getting.
Old 04-10-2018, 02:10 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by securityguy
You should always think about, and be careful, when purchasing the first year of a redesign based on what Audi decides to do with the A4. The 17-18 is bullet-proof and rated as the #1 car in Consumer Reports in its category so you know what you're getting.
I think this depends a lot on what Audi will do with the redesign. It does seem like it will be a meaningful one, but I would argue that in most conventional facelifts, post-facelifts tend to be a bit more reliable than those pre-facelift. I don't have any data to back this up unfortunately, but I think generally the added time gives OEMs an opportunity to go in and address any issues that popped up pre-facelift.

That said, if they introduce new powertrain technology or overhaul the electronics its all up in air. There's a chance Audi gives it a thorough facelift cosmetically but leave much of the powertrain and electronics untouched or with minor improvements. In that case, I would imagine the facelift would be just as, if not more reliable than pre-facelift.

All hypothesizing of course. For my sample size of 1, my first year A4 has been solidly reliable but with numerous rattles and strange sounds to be addressed at my next service.
Old 04-10-2018, 02:44 PM
VM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 50 Likes on 39 Posts

Originally Posted by JDA_yeg
You should wait and see until they released official information regarding the 2019 A4; I've been hearing that it's a redesign so that could be in for a good/bad direction. I personally like the current A4 design and as you said, it is timeless. Though, I wish they put a little more effort into the interior.

I'm waiting for the 2019 now (I said that last year with the 2018 lol), and if you don't like/want to get the 2019, get the 2018 models while dealers phase them out so you get good deals for it.
I think it's very unlikely that the 2019 will be quite different. I think we would have heard something from Europe if they were planning major changes for 2019.

Shouldn't the 2019 order guides be out soon?
Old 04-10-2018, 03:06 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Originally Posted by VM
I think it's very unlikely that the 2019 will be quite different. I think we would have heard something from Europe if they were planning major changes for 2019.

Shouldn't the 2019 order guides be out soon?
Ok not a redesign but mid-cycle facelift. Supposedly a "major styling makeover" with the help of Chief designer, Marc Lichte (who didn't design the A4). Apparently sales of the A4 B9 is very weak compared to other cars in the segment. But let's see if all these articles are true.

I've asked Audi dealerships if they have order guides, and none of them have it yet.
Old 04-10-2018, 03:20 PM
VM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 50 Likes on 39 Posts

Originally Posted by JDA_yeg
Ok not a redesign but mid-cycle facelift. Supposedly a "major styling makeover" with the help of Chief designer, Marc Lichte (who didn't design the A4). Apparently sales of the A4 B9 is very weak compared to other cars in the segment. But let's see if all these articles are true.

I've asked Audi dealerships if they have order guides, and none of them have it yet.
In which country? Audis are selling like hotcakes here, though the Q5 is probably driving that more than the A4...

I still think if they were planning a "mid-cycle facelift" two years in for North American MY2019, it would have been seen in Europe by now.
Old 04-10-2018, 04:21 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Originally Posted by VM
In which country? Audis are selling like hotcakes here, though the Q5 is probably driving that more than the A4...

I still think if they were planning a "mid-cycle facelift" two years in for North American MY2019, it would have been seen in Europe by now.
in Europe apparently but I don't know what the sales numbers are. Well if the they announce it for 2019 in Europe we might not see it until 2020 anyways

Quick Reply: Decisions! 2017-18 vs 2019 A4