A4 (B9 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B9 Audi A4 2017-

DIY: Add red door warning light and remove door panel B9 A4

Search this Thread

Old 03-03-2017, 04:06 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 21 Likes on 14 Posts
Default DIY: Add red door warning light and remove door panel B9 A4

When I first got my B9, I was quite surprised to find that Audi decided to skip the active door red warning lights for this generation. Instead of a red light that gets illuminated when the door is opened, the new B9 now comes with a red reflector instead.

A while back, I decided to add the red warning lights back in. This involved some wiring work as the harness to connect the red warning light does not exist in the B9. I was able to source a plug and play harness for the door warning light. This DIY will show you how you can add the warning light back using this plug and play harness. Again, proceed at your own risk

The idea of this harness is simple. The red warning light will piggy-back off from the door puddle light. When you open the door, both the puddle light and the warning light will illuminated (this is how it is wired in previous generations). Everything is plug and play which allows you to remove this harness in the future if you sell your car or no longer require the light.

For anyone interested, I am selling the entire set for 4 doors for $60US. Please PM me for more details.

As you can see, the harness has 3 ends.
A - this connector accepts the plug that is currently used for the door puddle light
B - the plug from this harness will plug into your original puddle light
C - this plug will go into your new red warning light

The DIY below is the full instruction involving removal of the door panel and installing the harness. You can also remove some of the clips on the lower portion of the door panel and fish the harness through.

Step 1
Before you start, lower all your windows. This will give you more space when removing the door panel.

Step 2
FRONT DOOR: Using a trim removal tool, unclip the aluminum/wood trim from the front door. You can unclip them from the bottom side of the trim starting from the front of the car

Step 3
Total of 3 bolts in the front door panel (marked by the red circle)

Step 4
Using a trim removal tool, unclip the door trim panel starting from the lower rear corner. There are 8 clips in total (marked by red circle)
For those who would like to fish the harness through, you should be able to do that once you've disengage the clips for the door panel

Step 5
Once all the clips have been unclipped, pull the door upward to disengage the door from the final metal clip. This is an image of the door clip looking down from the top. By pulling the door panel up, you are sliding the block away from the metal clip.

Step 6
Unclip the door lock mechanism by pulling out the green clip, then unhook the wire from the door lock mechanism

Step 7
Cars with B&O will also require to remove the connector for the midrange speaker (red circle on top left picture). Disconnect blue and the black connector from the door controller

Step 8
Install your warning light harness and route it.

Step 9
Re-attach all the wire and the speaker connector, as well as the door lock clip. To install the door panel back, first push the door panel to the door to engage the metal clip. Once engaged, hook the door panel on the top and install the door panel.

Step 10
Install the 3 screws, and then reinstall the trim piece

Step 11
REAR DOOR: Remove the aluminum/wood trim. Notice the trim is hooked in to the door. To remove the trim, push the trim to the direction of the arrow and the out.

Step 12
Remove 3 bolts then unclip the 9 door panel clips behind (Similar steps to the front door)

Step 13
Remove the door lock mechanism then remove connector

Step 14
Route the harness in, re-attaches the door and the trim (similar steps to the front door)

DONE

Hope this helps.

Last edited by ekyp; 06-17-2017 at 11:19 AM.
The following 4 users liked this post by ekyp:
AndyM001 (05-07-2020), Camb9 (04-07-2022), Kranknhank (11-20-2023), Mikey T (02-07-2021)
Old 03-03-2017, 04:54 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Awesome! Great procedure and thanks for putting the harness together!
Old 03-03-2017, 05:08 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts

Nicely detailed DIY. Nice kit too. If you live and park on city streets often the red lights should be a must have for safety.
Old 03-03-2017, 06:29 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 44 Likes on 41 Posts

Damn. Would've bought the red light kit too but the dismantle looks complicated. I don't think I'd be able to remove the door panels like you did.
Old 03-03-2017, 08:59 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 139 Likes on 102 Posts

Absolutely fantastic write up! Thanks for your contribution.
Old 03-08-2017, 05:30 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Im getting from you ekyp two kits, the audi puddle light kit and this red door warning light kit.
The puddle light kit is a straight forward replacement if I could pry out the old light fixtures without a minimum damage,
to install the red door lights still need to remove the entire door panels? or I can just fish through in between puddle light to red door lights?
I am not really afraid to take off the panels but if I could save myself on time also this first several winter months the panels didn't rattle may keep them in same shape if I don't touch...

Last edited by bigHUN; 03-08-2017 at 05:33 PM.
Old 03-08-2017, 09:21 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Originally Posted by bigHUN
Im getting from you ekyp two kits, the audi puddle light kit and this red door warning light kit.
The puddle light kit is a straight forward replacement if I could pry out the old light fixtures without a minimum damage,
to install the red door lights still need to remove the entire door panels? or I can just fish through in between puddle light to red door lights?
I am not really afraid to take off the panels but if I could save myself on time also this first several winter months the panels didn't rattle may keep them in same shape if I don't touch...
What puddle lights are those?
Old 03-09-2017, 04:41 PM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by VipinLJ
What puddle lights are those?
not OEM but some inexpensive audi rings lights for fractions of a cost, but for this piece price what can go wrong?
pm the guy he may have more
Old 03-09-2017, 07:02 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Originally Posted by bigHUN
not OEM but some inexpensive audi rings lights for fractions of a cost, but for this piece price what can go wrong?
pm the guy he may have more
I have aftermarket puddle lights. I thought he had the original ones
Old 03-10-2017, 06:51 PM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by VipinLJ
I have aftermarket puddle lights. I thought he had the original ones
Did you had to take off the door panels or possible to fish through the wire harness.
My package is in the way takes some time to arrive from West coast, and on the other side mother nature is still playing four seasons every week, if you don't know what that means:
minus 15 for a weekend and plus 15 for Wednesday than again minus 15 for the weekend....on and on

Quick Reply: DIY: Add red door warning light and remove door panel B9 A4