A4 (B9 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B9 Audi A4 2017-

Drove an S5 this week

Search this Thread

Old 05-19-2019, 07:06 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Drove an S5 this week

My 2018 A4 was in for its second service so while I waited, I found a 2018 S5 prestige on the lot. They happily let me have a spin. Thoughts:

• The sport seats are GLORIOUS. I want these a LOT.
  • Totally jealous of the gauge-center mode in the VC.
  • It is notably faster than my A4 but not as much faster as I hoped. Maybe I had too high expectations?
  • Exhaust sound - it exists! My A4 makes no sporty noises at all but the S5 sounds great. Do 3.0T's make the DSG fart with aftermarket pipes?
  • The chassis felt just a bit more planted and I'm not sure if it's the 5-ness or the S-ness. In retrospect I didn't notice if it had the adaptive suspension.
  • Back seat is merely homage to the possibility of carrying >2 adults.
Overall I expected to kinda have ruined my A4 but that wasn't the case at all. I'm really happy with my A4 and will definitely consider an S4 on the next upgrade but it wasn't a religious experience. Both are really good cars.

Those seats though...gaaawd.
The following users liked this post:
ETrains (07-03-2019)
Old 05-19-2019, 08:01 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks for your comparisons and observations, as I had my curiosities about the S5 as well.
Old 05-19-2019, 08:06 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 102 Likes on 86 Posts

I am driving a new A4 with Sport suspension these few days. Its a bit tad harder than the regular suspension but wouldn't call it harsh. Its more planted and making the driving much more enjoyable. Regret didn't get the sport suspension with my car.
Old 05-19-2019, 08:13 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts

Any thoughts of any difference in feel (at taking off or low speed maneuvering) between the A4 DSG (if you have that) versus the torque converter in the S5?
Old 05-19-2019, 09:56 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts

I didn't focus too much on that. Didn't back the car up so didn't notice the DSG roll between R and D. Off the line it's fine but the shifts never smack you in the back.
Old 05-19-2019, 11:17 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 44 Likes on 41 Posts

The S4 isn’t significantly faster than the A4 if you go by seat of the pants feel. That’s not because the S4 is slow. But because the A4 is fast. And the DSG shifts faster than the S4. There is no DSG fart in the S cars because they don’t have DSG transmissions. Also, in Dynamic mode, the S cars have exhaust notes played through the speaker. But there is still a better natural sound than the A4 (obviously).
Also yes. The seats r nice. And the car is planted.

Like OP said. Driving an S car only makes you appreciate the A4 even more.
Old 05-19-2019, 01:09 PM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I was excited to read your post, and apprehensive at the same time. I don’t know how many times I’ve questioned myself, “should I have just bought the S”. After reading your post, I don’t think I’ll question as much. Don’t get me wrong, my next Audi will very likely be an S, and likely a CPO. Hoever, for now, I am super satisfied. The only mod I have on my 17 A4 PP sport is the JB4. It is plenty fast IMO. I do plan on getting the APR tune after my warranty is up, along with a couple other popular mods. Thanks again for scratching my itch by proxy.
Old 05-19-2019, 03:25 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 491 Likes on 335 Posts

Originally Posted by VipinLJ
The S4 isn’t significantly faster than the A4 if you go by seat of the pants feel. That’s not because the S4 is slow. But because the A4 is fast. And the DSG shifts faster than the S4. There is no DSG fart in the S cars because they don’t have DSG transmissions. Also, in Dynamic mode, the S cars have exhaust notes played through the speaker. But there is still a better natural sound than the A4 (obviously).
Also yes. The seats r nice. And the car is planted.

Like OP said. Driving an S car only makes you appreciate the A4 even more.
The S cars, at least prior to July 2018 production, most certainly bang / fart on upshifts, and crackle on the overrun. But not cruising around the block in D mode, you have to be on it. This is software programming of injection timing to allow a small amount of fuel to enter the chamber just as the exhaust valves are opening. It has nothing to do with the transmission.

Neither the A4 or S4 play exhaust music through the speakers. They both have Soundaktors mounted on the firewall near the bottom of the windscreen, but this is to enhance engine sounds, not exhaust. You must be thinking of BMW.

The S4/S5 has a multi-valved exhaust, so it actually does open up the exhaust depending on MMI settings and engine rpm.

The OP didn't say which S5 he drove, although probably the coupé from his description of the back seats. The A5/S5 coupé are on a short wheel base, and feel a bit different from the A4/S4. The A5/S5 Sportback are on the same wheelbase as the A4 series.

The S4/S5 is just a version of the A4/A5 series, not a fundamentally different car. Personally, I think if you want a refined, quiet, comfortable car which still offers decent performance and good handling in all road conditions, the A4 quattro is still the best car in its class. Obviously some (about 6 to 8% globally will buy an S version, about 1.5 % or so an RS) ) will want to trade some refinement for a more sporty experience. From my perspective, the two most compelling reasons for the S version are the Sport differential and the larger brakes. But that's just me.
Old 05-20-2019, 11:29 PM
AudiWorld Uber User

Received 279 Likes on 213 Posts

I've owned a B8.5 and a B9 S4 and I can comment on a few things:

The DSG was better no question. Both make fart noises on shifting but the DSG did more so and on every shift, while the ZF in the B9 only gets farts on hard acceleration. The B9 burbles off throttle (especially in dynamic mode) but the B8.5 didn't. The B9 has valves in the exhaust and the B8.5 didn't.

Sport seats were excellent in both.

The B&O was much better in the B8.5.

The S cars also have the sport differential which is IMO one of the defining features of the car. It goes around corners so hard the G forces make all the blood go to one side of my head until I feel a little retarded.

The A4's now that they have 250 HP are fast enough for nearly every driving situation. I've had a couple loaners and they get up and go. Big improvement over my old B5 A4 2.8.
Old 05-21-2019, 11:20 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

A4 2.0T takes you well over the speed limit real quickly and the sport model handles like a charm, it's hard to imagine why an S4 is needed, other than for the badge factor (and those who actually race their cars). I do love my ventilated/heated sport seats though on my A4.

Quick Reply: Drove an S5 this week