A4 (B9 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B9 Audi A4 2017-

EGR Not Ready

Search this Thread

Old 03-11-2022, 12:22 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 1,899 Likes on 1,612 Posts

There's nothing special about the drive cycle other than laying out that the tests will not initiate or proceed to completion without long (5-7 min) stable stretches with minimal "excitement" in acceleration/deceleration in the ~50 mph range and in the ~60 mph range. Other details include the EVAP test taking a long time in the cold and not operating unless the fuel tank is over half full (maybe >1/4 would work, but when I need to clear my P0299 and do the readiness drive to the emissions test, I always fill up before).

I do wonder if you just go to Mode 6 and run the test directly if that will set the monitor readiness. As mentioned, the VVT test is 53 (hex $35). There's also statistics in Mode 09 that might be interesting to review. TID 08 should have counts for things such as:
♦ Counter EGR Diagnostics / VVT - diagnosis
♦ Denominator EGR Diagnostics / VVT - diagnosis
Not sure what is meant by Denominator.

On the Gen2, there's three monitors that are "not installed", SAI (secondary air injection, that's on the V6), heated cat, and A/C refrigerant. After a clear DTCs, misfire, fuel system, and comprehensive components are already Passed (readiness bit value 0) before even starting the engine. That leaves the five monitors to resolve: Cat (mode 6 TID $21), EVAP (mode 6 TID $3C and $3D), O2 sensor (mode 6 TID $01 and $02), O2 heater (mode 6 TID $41 and $42), and EGR (ie, VVT in these engines, mode 6 TID $35).
Old 03-11-2022, 12:28 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 1,899 Likes on 1,612 Posts

Originally Posted by agp2572
I went to the dealership today and they set the code readiness for EGR. It was just a code that they set via their system via OBD-II. They were charging me $215 for it and I argued with them as they even mentioned there is no EGR value in this car model. I told them if there is no EGR then they should just set it for free as no matter how much I drive it will never be set. They knew the only way to do it is to set it manually which is what they did for EGR. As part of doing this they actually did a recall software update which erased another code so I still need to drive to set it and was not able to get the smog testing done. This is just waste of time from their end as all the things had passed except for EGR and not I need to do another drive cycle tomorrow when car is cold.
Clearly it's not the required case. Having to go to the dealership annually to set something that them setting manually should be illegal would be illogical. You had something out of norm, but what was never determined. I presume we'll never get the whole story.

Here's a link that's out there for an old version (May '16; the one at erwin.audiusa.com is Sep '18, or maybe even newer now) of the CYMC Generic Scan Tool workshop manual: https://vwts.ru/diag/engine-cymc-gen...n-tool-eng.pdf
Old 03-15-2022, 09:47 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'm also facing this issue now. I went to the dealer for a software update recall which reset my monitors and I then found that evap and egr haven't completed in ~2 months and a couple hundred miles. Although I just got the evap one to set today, so maybe with the warmer weather coming in erg will be soon to follow. Who knows. I'll be sure to update if I get the egr to set or I end up needing dealer intervention.