A4 (B9 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B9 Audi A4 2017-

S/RS Sport-Layout on A4

Search this Thread

Old 01-25-2021, 07:45 PM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 32 Likes on 10 Posts
Default S/RS Sport-Layout on A4

Hi all, quick write-up. I spent some time this weekend trying to figure out enabling sport-layout on VC on non-S/RS cars. Here's a quick tutorial for those whose cars have less than 100 km (60 miles) that I found on a Chinese forum. Once the cars are past 100 km, this can no longer be used. There are other methods for those vehicles that you generally have to pay for.

OBD 11 instructions:

- go to dashboard [17]
- adaptation
- designvariant activation
- designvariant_activation-1

turn your car off for 5 min. Once you turn it back on, you should be able to access sport-layout functionality and change the design of your VC.

The following users liked this post:
vkamnyev (01-26-2021)
Old 01-26-2021, 03:56 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 25 Likes on 16 Posts

i hope someone soon will leak the knowledge on patching the VC to enable RS/S dial.. i think it's a matter of time before someone decides to leak it all, like MIB2 patching

thanks for sharing!
Old 01-26-2021, 04:09 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 55 Likes on 41 Posts

Originally Posted by kdagher
i hope someone soon will leak the knowledge on patching the VC to enable RS/S dial.. i think it's a matter of time before someone decides to leak it all, like MIB2 patching

thanks for sharing!
There is a hack to enable the single dial layout which involves installing a modified radio head which does something to the MMI which then enables single dial mode, however it is not switchable. It stays in single dial mode all the time and the only way back to to go through a multi-hour uninstallation process. I think it's on youtube, but I've seen discussion in either audisport or audizine.
Old 01-26-2021, 05:10 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 25 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by bniner
There is a hack to enable the single dial layout which involves installing a modified radio head which does something to the MMI which then enables single dial mode, however it is not switchable. It stays in single dial mode all the time and the only way back to to go through a multi-hour uninstallation process. I think it's on youtube, but I've seen discussion in either audisport or audizine.
i believe you are referring to this video ?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E5qd...nel=YaodeChain

I am trying to find a way to telnet VC, unsuccessful so far. i cant keep the developer mode active permanently
bniner (01-26-2021)
Old 01-26-2021, 05:26 AM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by kdagher
i believe you are referring to this video ?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E5qd...nel=YaodeChain

I am trying to find a way to telnet VC, unsuccessful so far. i cant keep the developer mode active permanently
Yes, that's the one that people seem to link as the most current info.
Old 01-26-2021, 06:26 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 32 Likes on 10 Posts

There's definitely a better patch that enables all of the functionality (including switching between sport and standard layout) and does not require any hardware modifications. It is available in Russia by Audi-Rus and costs around $200. See links to the product and reviews below. If you do not speak Russian, you can use Chrome to auto-translate. I think it consists of an FEC patch + VC FW update without the 100 km limitation and then designvariant activation.

Product
Review 1
Review 2
Review 3
Review 4
Review 5
Review 6
Review 7
bniner (01-26-2021)
Old 01-26-2021, 07:08 AM
AudiWorld Member

What I learned today - Audi Riviera Blue is the same color as blue painters tape
Old 01-26-2021, 11:17 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by aberbic
There's definitely a better patch that enables all of the functionality (including switching between sport and standard layout) and does not require any hardware modifications. It is available in Russia by Audi-Rus and costs around $200. See links to the product and reviews below. If you do not speak Russian, you can use Chrome to auto-translate. I think it consists of an FEC patch + VC FW update without the 100 km limitation and then designvariant activation.

Product
Review 1
Review 2
Review 3
Review 4
Review 5
Review 6
Review 7
Yup; but said files are free: "NOT FOR COMMERCIAL USE - IF YOU BOUGHT THIS YOU GOT RIPPED OFF" but if you prefer to pay instead of doing it yourself sure.

I am looking for that VC FW without 100km limitation. I havent seen that anywhere. but with this method i think we are only scratching the surfacce. There is soo much more that hasnnt been released yet, its probably been in dev for severall years and only made the rounds a year ago on the net and only on the international ones. I havent seen it on any US sites (forums alike)
Old 02-17-2021, 11:31 PM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by bniner
Yes, that's the one that people seem to link as the most current info.
I must have this!! How do I order/install it? The YouTube video didn’t specify.
Old 02-18-2021, 03:04 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

I stumbled upon an S5 VC and installed semi-succesfully in my A4 (just need a cable to get maps, arriving from overseas). This allows me to switch between the one gauge "Sport" layout and the "Classic" layout anytime with ongoing swutchability beyond 100km. The cost was C$850 for the cluster and $C160 to get Component Protection removed. It works perfectly once I coded out adaptive suspension and all wheel steering, which took two seconds with OBDEleven.

All of which is to say, it may be more cost effective to wait for an S4/S5/RS5 cluster to show up on eBay or your local wreckers. The install is quite straight forward.