A4 (B9 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B9 Audi A4 2017-

Engine bay dirt and cleaning

Search this Thread

Old 03-18-2017, 12:28 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 46 Likes on 33 Posts
Default Engine bay dirt and cleaning

Cleaned the car yesterday and at the end I randomly decided to open the hood. I haven't done so in a really long time.

What I found...

The engine bay area, as you look at the car with the hood open on to right side towards the driver.<br/><br/>Very miniscule sand particles.

This is on the other side too. I took a pic but only after I kinda cleaned it.

The only way I can think of how that sand got there is from when I drove from Toronto to Lake Placid, and on the way, through the mountains, we took more scenic (ie, windy and hilly) routes that were a blast to drive in, but the roads were covered in sand not salt to combat the snow.

Should this even be here though? The only way it could have gotten here is the front wheels kicking it up into the engine bay. I thought it was supposed to be sealed off more properly though.

How do I clean it? Can I take a hose out and water the engine bay down, or for once or twice a year, better to take it into a shop for them to do the engine bay cleaning? And will they protect the components of the engine bay that should be protected when doing a full wash?
Old 03-18-2017, 12:33 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 44 Likes on 41 Posts

Engine bay becoming dirty is normal. Though it is significantly less here compared to when I was in India.

And while it is safe to hose down the engine bay, I wouldn't advise it. I'd use a damp microfiber to clean up the dirt and engine cover and the like. Maybe even use a little shampoo to clean up stubborn stains? Wipe it dry afterwards and you should be fine. You even get trim dressers to clean the plastic engine cover and stuff.
Old 03-18-2017, 01:25 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 102 Likes on 86 Posts

That's right above the wheel wells with few cracks (the plastic cover) to let dirt in. Mines are all white from northeastern winter salt/dust. I brushed it a bit then blow them off. The main engine area under the hood is generally fine though.

Last edited by minmet; 03-18-2017 at 05:35 PM.
Old 03-18-2017, 02:06 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Originally Posted by minmet
That's right above the wheel wells with few crack open (the plastic cover) to let dirt come in. Mines are all white from northeaster winter salt/dust. I brushed it a bit then blow them off. The main engine area under the hood is generally fine though.
Exactly - Ok cool - feel much better not - thanks!
Old 03-18-2017, 02:08 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 44 Likes on 41 Posts

That's right above the wheel wells with few crack open (the plastic cover) to let dirt come in. Mines are all white from northeaster winter salt/dust. I brushed it a bit then blow them off. The main engine area under the hood is generally fine though.
Yup. After blowing it off, if there are any residues, you can wipe it with a damp microfiber. I use a mixture of water and shampoo to wipe it off and then dry it using a dry microfiber.
Old 03-18-2017, 02:34 PM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Temporary use of duct tape over the front suspension access covers will reduce road debris in winter!

I have experienced same issue here in northern California, while driving in snow country were sand is used to grit roads.

Also added an ECU cover from http://www.ecstuning.com/b-ecs-parts.../019468ecs01a/ in an attempt to further protect engine bay.

Last edited by dccarver1; 03-18-2017 at 03:14 PM.
Old 03-18-2017, 02:50 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Originally Posted by VipinLJ
Yup. After blowing it off, if there are any residues, you can wipe it with a damp microfiber. I use a mixture of water and shampoo to wipe it off and then dry it using a dry microfiber.
Thanks again - yup just did that, and yeah the rest of the engine bay was really clean. A very very thin layer of dust, but pretty impressed over all given that I've actually taken it on 2 longer road trips and in both cases we've either had really bad weather or very salty dry roads.

Follow up question - took another picture. I'm really not sure what this part of the car is, but, it looks like it needs to have a cover on it, does it not?

Old 03-18-2017, 02:51 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Then again... maybe not:
http://www.autos.ca/wp-content/uploa...i-A4-JW-16.jpg
Old 03-18-2017, 03:02 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

It does need one...

https://www.ecstuning.com/Audi-B9_A4...U_Cover_19468/

LOL!!!
Old 03-18-2017, 03:29 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Originally Posted by dccarver1
Temporary use of duct tape over the front suspension access covers will reduce road debris in winter!

I have experienced same issue here in northern California, while driving in snow country were sand is used to grit roads.

Also added an ECU cover from http://www.ecstuning.com/b-ecs-parts.../019468ecs01a/ in an attempt to further protect engine bay.
Originally Posted by jcallip1
LOL. I don't know how I missed DCarver's post - thanks to both of you.

That's so stupid IMO, to not provide a cover for it. I'm gonna have a chat w/ the dealership as it's on my way to work.

Quick Reply: Engine bay dirt and cleaning