A4 (B9 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B9 Audi A4 2017-

Factory intercooler question

Search this Thread

Old 02-18-2018, 10:26 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I looked in the factory repair manual - doesn't mention it. It *may* be in the "body exterior" manual which covers the bumper... but I don't have that one.
Old 02-18-2018, 10:37 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I removed mine. Super easy from under the car.
Old 02-18-2018, 10:38 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

This is the orientation looking from the drivers side of car
Old 02-18-2018, 11:24 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by JayA4Sline
This is the orientation looking from the drivers side of car
thanks a bunch for the pics. Mines coming off tomorrow
Old 02-19-2018, 07:41 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I removed mine today. Drove up on ramps and removed the 5 bolts underneath the bumper and the plastic bumper cover from the engine bay. Reached down to the intercooler and pulled the top part of the cover off, then wiggled the bottom out. Removing the 5 bolts gives the bottom of the bumper just enough flex to wiggle the intercooler cover out. It only took about 10 minutes and looks much better.
The following users liked this post:
floridaorange (12-13-2019)
Old 02-19-2018, 08:10 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts

I'm having a hard time believing audi installed this for no reason. Large corporations like Audi don't spend an extra couple of dollars on anything that's non function or not needed from an engineering standpoint. Bottom line profit means everything. Look how you only get one trunk light, one grocery hook, red reflectors instead of lights in the doors. If Audi could save a few dollars not installing the plastic intercooler piece they would. It's the corporate way.

Maybe the plastic piece creates some sort of pressure differential that moves the air through the IC more efficiently. IDK, there's got to be some explanation of what it's intended purpose it.

Last edited by up-n-coming; 02-19-2018 at 08:24 AM.
Old 02-19-2018, 10:35 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 119 Likes on 81 Posts

Originally Posted by up-n-coming
I'm having a hard time believing audi installed this for no reason. Large corporations like Audi don't spend an extra couple of dollars on anything that's non function or not needed from an engineering standpoint. Bottom line profit means everything. Look how you only get one trunk light, one grocery hook, red reflectors instead of lights in the doors. If Audi could save a few dollars not installing the plastic intercooler piece they would. It's the corporate way.
Maybe the plastic piece creates some sort of pressure differential that moves the air through the IC more efficiently. IDK, there's got to be some explanation of what it's intended purpose it.
I agree. Audi engineers didn't just tack that on for the heck of it.
Old 02-19-2018, 11:33 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 102 Likes on 86 Posts

Originally Posted by up-n-coming

Exactly the same thinking when I saw first few posts of this thread. Probably won't pull that off till it's clear what's there for. Do applause members' experiment though.
Old 02-19-2018, 01:03 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 11 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by A4Driver
I agree. Audi engineers didn't just tack that on for the heck of it.
It's a snow guard for the intercooler. Just don't go shoveling snow with your front end too much and you should be fine. I'm sure wdimagineer will chime in eventually and put your minds at ease.
Old 02-20-2018, 08:34 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by Fantasiamon
It's a snow guard for the intercooler.
I guess maybe it could be. But, the way an intercooler works is by having air forced through the fins. Even if the other 2/3rds of the IC is packed with snow I don't see how air can be forced through as the plastic cover would block any appreciable flow. If there was a fan behind the IC like the radiator has then I could see air being drawn through but there is no fan. If that piece is in fact a snow shield then I've lost all faith in Audi engineering. To reduce the efficiency of the IC by 30% all the time to address a winter event that may or may not happen doesn't seem like sound engineering.

Quick Reply: Factory intercooler question