A4 (B9 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B9 Audi A4 2017-

As far as reliability compared to other brands how is the Audi A4?

Search this Thread

Old 01-05-2016, 07:18 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default As far as reliability compared to other brands how is the Audi A4?

As far as reliability goes, how reliable is the Audi A4 compared to the C-Class, 3 Series, Q50 etc.?

This will be my first Audi, first luxury german car ever (only had Toyotas up to this date). I am planning on getting the 2017 Audi A4 with the new virtual cockpit. How much so I expect to dish out every year on maintenance while in warranty and once the initial factory warranty runs out?

I've always been told to never buy a new car within the first 3 years so the company can smooth out all the issues with the car. Does this come into play with the new 2017 Audi A4? My main concern is the virtual cockpit, from what I have been told this is new to the A4. Has there been any issues with it on the TT?

Thanks!
Old 01-05-2016, 12:46 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 61 Likes on 56 Posts

Originally Posted by AndrewT1993
As far as reliability goes, how reliable is the Audi A4 compared to the C-Class, 3 Series, Q50 etc.?

This will be my first Audi, first luxury german car ever (only had Toyotas up to this date). I am planning on getting the 2017 Audi A4 with the new virtual cockpit. How much so I expect to dish out every year on maintenance while in warranty and once the initial factory warranty runs out?

I've always been told to never buy a new car within the first 3 years so the company can smooth out all the issues with the car. Does this come into play with the new 2017 Audi A4? My main concern is the virtual cockpit, from what I have been told this is new to the A4. Has there been any issues with it on the TT?

Thanks!
Consumer Reports give 2016 A4 "Much Better than Average" reliability.

If you purchase an Audi, you have the option for approximately $900 to purchase prepaid maintenance for 4 years / 50,000 miles. First service actually is no cost.

If you fear first year models, then consider leasing the vehicle. You would have no financial risk.

The more technology and features in a vehicle, the more risk as to reliability.

You are coming from a Toyota, which are generally very reliable. Many feel they drive like an appliance, but they are reliable.

Do your road test and decide. Cost of ownership is going to be higher in an Audi.
Old 01-05-2016, 06:38 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 541 Likes on 362 Posts

If you are concerned about reliability, I would wait until at least the 2018 MY before buying a B9 A4. The first year of the B8 platform, 2009, had a significant number of reliability problems that were corrected in subsequent years. 2017 is the first year of a completely redesigned platform and is likely to have bugs that will be eliminated over time.
Old 01-10-2016, 06:02 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

I have the exact same concern. I have seen a review website where a lot of customers are having major costly issues. From tech failure to engines dying. All that happening on fairly new low mileage A4s. Reviews about terrible customer service as well. The problems seem to have continued regardless of how far in into the b8 model years Audi has gotten. I don't mind paying extra for the car + higher service costs but if this car is prone to major issues, that'd put me off. Rather spend a bit more and get a c class or 3 series. Looking at 48 month lease btw.
Old 01-10-2016, 06:42 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Consumer Report stated that Audi is number 3 for reliability. Wonder how accurate that list is. Seems like its only behind Toyota & Lexus according to the report.
Old 01-10-2016, 08:42 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 61 Likes on 56 Posts

Consumers Reports reliability ratings come from their members in an annual survey. Probably the most reliable survey available. The survey is paid for by the members subscriptions and contributions. Not paid for by the manufacturer.
Old 01-10-2016, 11:37 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 244 Likes on 188 Posts

Anything that fails during the first 4 years or 50000 miles should be covered under warranty. Some issues (lie high oil consumption in the early years of the previous model) are harder to fix but shouldn't be an issue anymore. I had a water pump fail in the first year in my 2010 Q5 (2nd MY) and no issue whatsoever in my 2012 A6 (1st MY), other than that just routine maintenance.

If you speak German you can follow Qualitätsmängel am B9 : Audi A4 B9, it discusses some of the issues the first B9 owners experienced.
Old 01-10-2016, 10:01 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Originally Posted by AudiA4B6US
Anything that fails during the first 4 years or 50000 miles should be covered under warranty. Some issues (lie high oil consumption in the early years of the previous model) are harder to fix but shouldn't be an issue anymore. I had a water pump fail in the first year in my 2010 Q5 (2nd MY) and no issue whatsoever in my 2012 A6 (1st MY), other than that just routine maintenance.

If you speak German you can follow Qualitätsmängel am B9 : Audi A4 B9, it discusses some of the issues the first B9 owners experienced.
Hmm..interesting. Thanks. This car has been released in european markets a year ahead of us. 2016 model, I believe got the refresh. Does that count as a year of trial and error credit?
Old 01-11-2016, 02:17 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 244 Likes on 188 Posts

The first deliveries of the A4 B9 started in November 2015 in Germany, so it's not a year ahead, just about 6 month. While Audi use to release the facelift model or next model year about 12 month after Germany they changed that with recent models. The 2017 A4 B9 is only about 6 month behind the 2016 A4 B9 in Germany, similar to the 2016 A6 (facelift) which was available in early 2015.
Old 01-11-2016, 02:58 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Originally Posted by AudiA4B6US
The first deliveries of the A4 B9 started in November 2015 in Germany, so it's not a year ahead, just about 6 month. While Audi use to release the facelift model or next model year about 12 month after Germany they changed that with recent models. The 2017 A4 B9 is only about 6 month behind the 2016 A4 B9 in Germany, similar to the 2016 A6 (facelift) which was available in early 2015.
Ahhh i see. Thanks a lot

Quick Reply: As far as reliability compared to other brands how is the Audi A4?