A4 (B9 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B9 Audi A4 2017-

A few quick questions

Search this Thread

Old 09-12-2016, 10:03 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default A few quick questions

Hey Guys,

Just like everyone else here I'm a new owner of the B9 A4. Mine is a Premium Plus with Sport and Cold Weather packages. I have a couple of questions about the vehicle after I've had it for about the past week or so (keep in mind I've read around on the forum and also done some contextual searches for answers).

1. When I took delivery of the car (Audi of Atlanta), my primary key had nicks and scratches on it. Definitely all superficial, but I think you'd get why I was unhappy with this. I took delivery of the car from a dealership trade (Audi dealership in New Orleans), and my sales person said that it would be at the discretion of the original dealership on if they would offer me a replacement or not (since they aren't cheap at $300). Has anyone experienced a situation like this before? I haven't heard a verdict back from my dealership yet and probably plan to lodge a complaint with the sales manager at some point today. There was also a slight imperfection in the paint, but it was barely noticeable. I'm more concerned with the key, seeing as it was a new car delivery, I was expecting a new and damage free key.

2. Key related: I tried to use the panic button/unlock the doors with my key from about half a block away yesterday and the car didn't respond. Does anyone have an idea of what type of responder distance these keys have? It seemed like the vehicle was entirely too close for it not to work, but the unlock sequence only happened after I got about within around 40ft.

3. Maybe key related: I have the setting turned on in the vehicle menu for the windows to roll down when the key button is pressed for an extended time. This still has yet to work. Is there something I'm missing here?

4. Parking Brake: The car will automatically engage the parking brake when there is an incline and I place the car in 'P'. I'm not sure what the tolerance on this might be, but I'm wondering if that could be altered in code to permanently allow that to be on.

5. Vanity lights: The lights underneath the visors and attached to the headliner. I have no idea how to turn those on. Are they even lights? This might be a dumb question.

6. The 'clicking' noise that people have posted about on other Audi models. Mine seems to happen right around the 24-25mph mark. I read a few of the other forum strings. Was there a definitive decision on what is causing this/ should it be looked into further?

7. Rear camera: I'm getting some pretty strong signal interference on the backup camera. I'm not sure exactly what might be causing this, or if it's normal. I would say it's not a huge deal, but when there is banding moving across the screen (horizontal bands that align up and down the screen) and it catches the corner of my eye it makes me think that an object is moving or out of place when it isn't. Has anyone else had this problem? It could just be a crappy camera, but my thinking is that there's a wire running too close to something else that doesn't have magnetic shielding.

8. MMI phone audio: Every time I plug in my phone through the USB dongle it automatically cues up a song from my internal phone storage, and it's always the same song since I have only one album stored. Is there a setting to override this function, or alternatively to shut it off?

That's about all I can think of off the top of my head. Thanks in advance for answers or thoughts!

-Watson
Old 09-12-2016, 10:10 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

*Edit

Sorry I left this one out, but I've come across two instances where my Pre Sense has experienced a failure, and the message on the dash reads something along the lines of "Audi Pre Sense Failure! Please have your vehicle checked by Audi Service."

I took it in after the first failure and the service writer said that it might be nothing, but if it happens again, to schedule a service check and they would try to look at it. Though he also said that if he can't recreate the issue that there's nothing that could be done about it. My caveat here is that Pre Sense has worked intermittently after each failure, so it is not a persistent issue, but still seems troubling.

Anyone else had this happen?
Old 09-12-2016, 10:14 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 49 Likes on 34 Posts

Minor, but annoying issues. If you feel strongly enough about it, (I don't think it would bother me) you should insist on a new key fob. More worrisome would be the "paint imperfection" as that would concern me. Not sure how far the key remote goes, but is a shorter distance than other cars I have had.
Old 09-12-2016, 10:19 AM
AudiWorld Member

1. I’d want a new key. Don’t stop bugging them until you get one.
2. Many factors play into this. Change the battery in the key fob and try again. Could be low battery, interference, etc. Mine usually works from about 100 ft away.
3. Talk to dealer and see what you missed in the programming of this feature or read the manual to see if that is still a viable feature on the car.
4. Safety feature I would assume.
5. When you pull down the visor and open the flap to utilize the mirror the light should come on.
6. Unsure at this time.
7. Have dealer diagnose.
8. Unsure at this time since I have not encountered this but read where others have. Check the board and see if you can find the answers. Are you double tapping to close out all apps? If it’s an iphone then try that and if android I am not sure how to help there.
Old 09-12-2016, 10:20 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by mdwcreative
5. Vanity lights: The lights underneath the visors and attached to the headliner. I have no idea how to turn those on. Are they even lights? This might be a dumb question.
I don't have my car yet so I don't have answers to most questions but I've watched every you tube review 100 times over. But those lights I believe only turn on when you slide open the mirror. That's how it works in my B8.

As for your first question that's a first I've heard of anything like that happening. I could see how a dealer would fight you on replacing those. If you get no resolution that you are happy with try contacting AOA (Audi of America) and see what they may do. Also the dealer should fix those paint imperfections, again if they refuse contact AOA.
Old 09-12-2016, 11:05 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

@Bob: On the paint issue, it's actually really really small. I'm a bit OCD so I noticed it, but looks like a piece of dirt or something got lodged on the primer before paint and clear coat. I could bug them about it, but I'm not sure it would be worth the hassle to have the door panel fixed.

#3 seems to have a limit of 6ft max distance for the function. Found it on another post.

-Watson
Old 09-12-2016, 12:42 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by mdwcreative
@Bob: On the paint issue, it's actually really really small. I'm a bit OCD so I noticed it, but looks like a piece of dirt or something got lodged on the primer before paint and clear coat. I could bug them about it, but I'm not sure it would be worth the hassle to have the door panel fixed.

#3 seems to have a limit of 6ft max distance for the function. Found it on another post.

-Watson
Any fix they try to do would probably end up looking worse anyways...
Old 09-12-2016, 02:54 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 113 Likes on 87 Posts

As I mentioned in the other thread, the clicking at 25mph is normal. It is the ABS motor recycling the fluid and doing a check.

I wouldn't worry about the key. It will get marks the first time you put it in your pocket with your house keys.

Enjoy your new car!
Old 09-12-2016, 09:17 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

For #8, set the iphone to shuffle songs (in carplay or on the phone) and it'll remember that. At least this way it doesn't play the same song every time. With that said, I don't experience this issue with carplay and my B9. I did encounter this with the older iPod style integrations (my previous vehicle). Are you on the latest version of iOS and using CarPlay?
Old 09-13-2016, 05:24 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

I'm not using CarPlay. This is just through the normal MMI interface when the phone is first plugged into the USB connector. I usually play my music through an app called Hype Machine, but that's not supported yet through CarPlay, and I'm not holding my breath that it will be any time soon.

-Watson

Quick Reply: A few quick questions