A4 (B9 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B9 Audi A4 2017-

Google Earth Going Away in 2021?

Search this Thread

Old 07-11-2017, 02:41 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Google Earth Going Away in 2021?

I received an email from Audi inviting me to participate in the "myAudi Talking Progress series" today.
What I found in the fine print is this interesting gem:
1) Online services are subject to change at any time. Google EarthTM features will not be available after December 2020 for MY2018 and older vehicles.
That's the first I've heard about end of Google Earth. Granted...it's a few years away...but I was planning to keep the car for 5 years. And Google Earth is one of the best features of this vehicle.

What's the story here? Is this just news to me? Or is anyone else caught off guard by this statement?

Cheers from California!
2017 Audi A4 - First Edition Series
Old 07-12-2017, 05:10 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 30 Likes on 14 Posts

There have been a couple of threads on this. Audi, BMW and Mercedes recently bought Nokia's "Here" mapping service, which includes imagery. Most people think Audi is going to replace GE with Here. More info:

https://www.wired.com/2015/08/bmw-au...-mapping-tech/
Old 07-12-2017, 07:44 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 21 Likes on 20 Posts

^ After reading that article, I guess I see the benefits of moving away from Google Maps to HERE since it offers a lot more than just satellite imagery.
Old 07-12-2017, 09:57 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Is Audi actually going to upgrade MY18 and older cars to the new system though? That doesn't sound very Audi to me.
Old 07-12-2017, 09:59 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Originally Posted by Edelwild
Is Audi actually going to upgrade MY18 and older cars to the new system though? That doesn't sound very Audi to me.
I think they'd have a legal problem on their hands if they took away a feature that we paid for and didn't replace it with something comparable.
Old 07-12-2017, 10:34 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Audi only uses Googlemaps for an overlay. They navigation stuff is HERE.
Old 07-12-2017, 11:31 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Originally Posted by Strife1013
Audi only uses Googlemaps for an overlay. They navigation stuff is HERE.
Yes, but the thought is that they will eventually substitute the HERE overlay for GoogleEarth. They can't sell a car that has an image overlay and then take it away without substituting something similar.
Old 07-12-2017, 11:37 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by KevinB656
They can't sell a car that has an image overlay and then take it away without substituting something similar.
Sorry. Why can't they? Isn't google earth part of Connect Prime in the US and an optional payment?
Old 07-12-2017, 11:42 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Originally Posted by mmorais
Sorry. Why can't they? Isn't google earth part of Connect Prime in the US and an optional payment?
Yes, but many of us bought the car we did because of the availability of that option. If they take away that option, we haven't received what we paid for. There was nothing in any of the materials, at least when I bought my car a year ago, saying that option might be taken away. I would feel pretty good about bringing that class action suit if it happened. Why would they not simply substitute the HERE imagery overlay since they own it?
Old 07-12-2017, 11:56 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 21 Likes on 20 Posts

Originally Posted by KevinB656
Yes, but many of us bought the car we did because of the availability of that option. If they take away that option, we haven't received what we paid for. There was nothing in any of the materials, at least when I bought my car a year ago, saying that option might be taken away. I would feel pretty good about bringing that class action suit if it happened. Why would they not simply substitute the HERE imagery overlay since they own it?
Fine print does state that online services are subject to change. But I'm sure that removing google maps overlay doesn't mean they won't replace it with HERE.

Quick Reply: Google Earth Going Away in 2021?