A4 (B9 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B9 Audi A4 2017-

Google Earth -- Gone!

Search this Thread

Old 10-21-2020, 11:42 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 119 Likes on 81 Posts
Default Google Earth -- Gone!

Yesterday I renewed my subscription to Audi Connect, because my Google Earth overlay disappeared. I hated doing this, because I know Google Earth will no longer be available on my car starting in 2021. However, I prefer using my car's built-in Navigation w/overlay rather than Google Maps or Waze, so I resubscribed.

Well, after several attempts today, I was unable to get the Google Maps overlay to appear. I got a message, saying, "The license for your Audi Connect package has expired. For information on renewal options, please contact your Audi dealer or visit the Audi website."

So I called Audi, and was told that Audi Germany "made a mistake," and got rid of Google Maps overlay earlier than they said they would. However, the Audi rep told me, the overlay still is available ... I just have to go to my dealership and have my MMI updated. I asked him if my dealership would give me a hard time about this request, and he said, "Not at all; they know about this."

Luckily for me, I have an appointment next week to bring my car in for an MMI update regarding my subwoofer controls, so I should have both issues fixed at the same time.
Old 10-21-2020, 01:09 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 27 Likes on 21 Posts

I didn't renew my subscription as it ran out right before I was furloughed and doing very little driving. It's a cool feature, but it is not worth the money. I just never used any of the features and I find Waze very accurate. It looks cool, but not worth the money in my opinion.
The following users liked this post:
Clixt (10-22-2020)
Old 10-21-2020, 06:55 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by A4Driver
Yesterday I renewed my subscription to Audi Connect, because my Google Earth overlay disappeared. I hated doing this, because I know Google Earth will no longer be available on my car starting in 2021. However, I prefer using my car's built-in Navigation w/overlay rather than Google Maps or Waze, so I resubscribed.

Well, after several attempts today, I was unable to get the Google Maps overlay to appear. I got a message, saying, "The license for your Audi Connect package has expired. For information on renewal options, please contact your Audi dealer or visit the Audi website."

So I called Audi, and was told that Audi Germany "made a mistake," and got rid of Google Maps overlay earlier than they said they would. However, the Audi rep told me, the overlay still is available ... I just have to go to my dealership and have my MMI updated. I asked him if my dealership would give me a hard time about this request, and he said, "Not at all; they know about this."

Luckily for me, I have an appointment next week to bring my car in for an MMI update regarding my subwoofer controls, so I should have both issues fixed at the same time.
Let us know how it goes.
RosaN (12-16-2020)
Old 10-22-2020, 04:49 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 40 Likes on 36 Posts

I barely use the VC. I tried many times to update the maps, and even resubscribed to Audi Connect, but in the end even if It looks cool, it's still a dated software. Even if I'm able to update the maps to 2020/2021 version, the database version is dated Oct 2019. I wish we can hack our VC so we can have the latest VC navigation. It's basically Google maps.
Old 10-23-2020, 04:30 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 162 Likes on 116 Posts

Just to let you guys know, on my new 2019 A4 which still has the free first 6 months, the maps are now from MAXAR, a Westminster, Colorado company that has their own constellation of satellites. If my 2019 can display these satellite maps then I am sure the 2017's and 2018's should be able to since AFAIK the hardware is the same.

Last edited by SchwarzS6; 10-23-2020 at 06:45 PM.
Old 10-23-2020, 06:20 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 40 Likes on 36 Posts

Originally Posted by SchwarzS6
Just to let you guys know, on my new 2018 A4 which still has the free first 6 months, the maps are now from MAXAR, a Westminster, Colorado company that has their own constellation of satellites. If my 2019 can display these satellite maps then I am sure the 2017's and 2018's should be able to since AFAIK the hardware is the same.
I can confirm that on my 2017. I recently renewed my Audi Connect and it's definitely MAXAR.
Traie Etc (01-24-2021)
Old 10-24-2020, 07:59 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 151 Likes on 106 Posts

The 2020 with MIB3 also now has MAXAR. I have noticed it dropping out of the satellite display a few times lately, which may be glitches as they implement the change. It was rare before.
Old 10-25-2020, 07:26 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 81 Likes on 61 Posts

Originally Posted by Flyguy31
I didn't renew my subscription as it ran out right before I was furloughed and doing very little driving. It's a cool feature, but it is not worth the money. I just never used any of the features and I find Waze very accurate. It looks cool, but not worth the money in my opinion.
Agreed. I didn't renew my subscription either. If the Audi MMI can't find my destination I use Google Maps on my phone. IMHO, waste of money.
Old 10-27-2020, 03:37 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by SchwarzS6
Just to let you guys know, on my new 2019 A4 which still has the free first 6 months, the maps are now from MAXAR, a Westminster, Colorado company that has their own constellation of satellites. If my 2019 can display these satellite maps then I am sure the 2017's and 2018's should be able to since AFAIK the hardware is the same.

I believe the 2019 A4/A5 has an additional Samsung connectivity module which enables them to use the satellite imagery. I’m interested to figure out if this module can be installed on a 2017/2018 to get the satellite overlay working again.
Old 10-27-2020, 03:42 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

Interested about the outcome of this. What is the MY of your car? Since the sat overlay is now provided by MAXAR, it appears that only a software update would enable the overlay now for 2017/2018 models.

Quick Reply: Google Earth -- Gone!