A4 (B9 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B9 Audi A4 2017-

Google Maps or Waze on 2017 a4?

Search this Thread

Old 10-13-2017, 08:10 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Google Maps or Waze on 2017 a4?

Hi Everyone: I use apple car play, but don't think the apple maps works that well. Is there any way I can use my iPhone and transfer Waze or Google Maps to the car's display? And no, I'm not in love with the Audi GPS.
Old 10-13-2017, 09:28 AM
vgt
AudiWorld Member

Nope.

Hope this was a clear enough answer.
Old 10-13-2017, 09:52 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Only with Android.

I am not sure anyone likes Apple Maps. My street is 28 years old and Apple Maps thinks it is two way. It is one way.
Old 10-13-2017, 10:35 AM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by rsilvers129
Only with Android.

I am not sure anyone likes Apple Maps. My street is 28 years old and Apple Maps thinks it is two way. It is one way.
I'm actually OK with Apple Maps. Not perfect, but it has steadily improved and I really like the changes that Apple made to Maps in iOS 11.
Old 10-13-2017, 10:56 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Agreed - Apple Maps are remarkably inaccurate.

I wish Audi would just use Google Maps (and its traffic and alternative routing. which are excellent).

Originally Posted by rsilvers129
Only with Android.

Old 10-13-2017, 11:47 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I hate Apple Maps. I’ve given it a shot several times. I use Google Maps on my iPhone when driving and have CarPlay disabled. I like the MMI infotainment more than CarPlay and I don’t like how it doesn’t support other mapping options for those that choose to do so. Also, does anyone else feel that the graphic interface for CarPlay is way “bigger” than it needs to be?

I’m sure I could get used to it, but I don’t like how it navigates without a touchscreen. I also hate touchscreens in cars and think they are a fad that needs to go. I need tactical feedback.

So I guess car play just isn’t for me, lol.
Old 10-13-2017, 12:13 PM
vgt
AudiWorld Member

Apple Maps generally does okay with navigation, but I prefer google maps when I actually want to look at a map or browse a location. The Audi Nav is very good though, so I rarely bother with the cell phone.
Old 10-13-2017, 03:18 PM
AudiWorld Member

The primary reason why I use Apple Maps over the MMI navigation is traffic. I wasn't going to pay $25-30 per month for Audi Connect just for 1 or 2 features that I'd actually use and traffic information is pretty important in a nav system. If Google Maps worked with CarPlay, I'd likely switch to that though.
Old 10-13-2017, 03:54 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

I know. I it is sad to pay for Nav in the car, and then not want to use it because Waze is so much better.

Here is what I do if I am concerned about traffic:

I start up Waze and have it show me the best route, including with traffic.

And then use the car nav, but select the route that is most like the one Waze was going to use.
Old 10-13-2017, 04:34 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

I find both Google Maps and Apple Maps leave much to be desired. Both have gotten me horribly lost, requiring the other to bail me out. Just a couple weeks ago, Google Maps got me completely lost, constantly changing the address to something else, leaving me nowhere near my destination. Apple Maps got me unlost very quickly and easily. Apple Maps has also taken me to completely the wrong part of town. So neither is all that great, IMO, though they are typically reliable. I find Apple Maps is more reliable when it comes to ETA, though both go horribly wrong when traffic is especially bad.

Both Apple Maps and Google Maps have a way for users to correct problems they find in their maps. Apple sources theirs from many typically reliable places and also sends their vans/SUV's around to improve their maps. If you reported the problem within the Maps application, I'm sure it would be corrected in the next update. If you don't report it, it'll probably stay wrong. The world is a big place. I doubt the Apple vans have made their way to your neighborhood. So help them out.

Quick Reply: Google Maps or Waze on 2017 a4?