A4 (B9 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B9 Audi A4 2017-

Google Pixel 2 and 2018 A4 Issues

Search this Thread

Old 10-25-2017, 08:33 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 5 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Google Pixel 2 and 2018 A4 Issues

Hey all,

This is more a heads up than anything else. If you get one of the new Google Pixel 2 phones, as I did, you may run into the trouble I am facing: Bluetooth will pair it to the car, but if you plug it into the system via USB the Bluetooth connection gets squirrelly and often will no longer work. To complicate matters Android Auto repeatedly crashes and will not stay connected to the system, but works if you unplug it from the car and run it just on the phone. Not sure if these are Google issues, Audi issues, or a combo of both. It sucks b/c it makes hands-free much harder and the car less capable than it should be.
Old 10-25-2017, 09:11 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have a MY17 A4 Technik model and just bought the Pixel 2 (not XL) and found that it works even better on Android Auto. I previously had a Nexus 5X which admittedly was a little old and slower to run Android Auto. It was super quick to pair the P2 via Bluetooth and connecting the phone via USB for Android Auto was fine. In fact, it launches Android Auto almost instantly now and there is little or not lag in any action or voice commands for Android Auto (likely the Snapdragon 835 chip).

So my experience is completely opposite of OP. I find that the Pixel 2 is an incredible experience with Android Auto on the B9 A4.
Old 10-25-2017, 09:31 AM
AudiWorld Member

Well, that is encouraging news... now if I only knew what the difference between our two set-ups was? Doing some more research I do see that Google is having issues with Bluetooth on our phones. Hmmm.
Old 10-25-2017, 10:16 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

I've been running a Nexus 5X with my 2017 A4 and have had lots of problems with Android Auto crashing and dumping me out to the Audi Connection Manager, and I had the same problem with a 2017 A4 loaner car from the dealership. My understanding is that this is a known issue with Audi and they're working on it.

My Pixel 2 XL just got delivered today so I'm looking forward to playing with the new phone, but I'm hoping at least that it isn't any worse than the experience with the 5X.
Old 10-26-2017, 10:00 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

When I was using the Nexus 5X with my 2017 A4 I was getting message access permission prompts every time I started or turned off the car (even though I always said yes and to store that answer), and I think I even saw them when I paired with a loaner car. Because I know that I've upgraded the Android version on my phone a couple of times and the permission system has changed, when I set up the Pixel 2 XL last night I chose NOT to import any settings from the previous phone and set up everything from scratch. Now I don't KNOW that this was what made the difference, but I haven't seen the message access prompt since.

I also noticed that Android Auto today showed me an appointment that I've got later tonight, and Android Auto didn't previously show appointments.

Whatever I did, it appears to have worked.
Old 10-26-2017, 10:24 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by sprior
When I was using the Nexus 5X with my 2017 A4 I was getting message access permission prompts every time I started or turned off the car (even though I always said yes and to store that answer), and I think I even saw them when I paired with a loaner car. Because I know that I've upgraded the Android version on my phone a couple of times and the permission system has changed, when I set up the Pixel 2 XL last night I chose NOT to import any settings from the previous phone and set up everything from scratch. Now I don't KNOW that this was what made the difference, but I haven't seen the message access prompt since.

I also noticed that Android Auto today showed me an appointment that I've got later tonight, and Android Auto didn't previously show appointments.

Whatever I did, it appears to have worked.
I have found the exact same thing. No longer do I get any prompts to allow the Audi to read my messages, etc.
Old 10-26-2017, 10:38 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 35 Likes on 28 Posts

Originally Posted by JorgeGortex
Hey all,

This is more a heads up than anything else. If you get one of the new Google Pixel 2 phones, as I did, you may run into the trouble I am facing: Bluetooth will pair it to the car, but if you plug it into the system via USB the Bluetooth connection gets squirrelly and often will no longer work. To complicate matters Android Auto repeatedly crashes and will not stay connected to the system, but works if you unplug it from the car and run it just on the phone. Not sure if these are Google issues, Audi issues, or a combo of both. It sucks b/c it makes hands-free much harder and the car less capable than it should be.
You shouldn't be having this experience. Pixel 2 does run really smoothly with our cars.

Try this: delete the bt pairing to your car in Android settings and on the car. You don't need this and it might be confusing Android auto, which might be trying to start it's phone only mode.

Then, please go and clear data on the Android auto app. Then plug into your car and run through setup and Grant the permissions it asks for, and I bet it will work for you.
Old 10-26-2017, 05:53 PM
AudiWorld Member

I am shopping for a new phone and tinkering about this new Pixel2.
Currently running on my LG G3, no problems with it just me got bored and time for change, I had reformat the OS couple times because loading/trying apps did messed up things especially with connections to audy toys...
Currently my G3 is back to a stock OS (meaning native and no mods), no unnecessary apps to screw the mind, Spotify runs flawless and Whatsup shows me incoming messages, I can write messages with voice commands, maps and traffic is working great,
the bluetooth phone...that is what I was unhappy with all the time and lately using the phone through usb with AA, much clearer sound both end of the talk...and that is nothing to do with audi, that is a nature of the bluetooth.
What I am missing with the G3 is a built in hardware equalizer, the substitute apps just mimicking any tone control and that junk drives me crazy.
Also I want my next phone to have the very top of the line photo elements, pretty much don't care for the name.
Pixel2, any good? vs Samsung? or +1? pretty much all the same price tag...

Last edited by bigHUN; 10-26-2017 at 06:02 PM.
Old 10-27-2017, 05:51 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by bigHUN
I am shopping for a new phone and tinkering about this new Pixel2.
Currently running on my LG G3, no problems with it just me got bored and time for change, I had reformat the OS couple times because loading/trying apps did messed up things especially with connections to audy toys...
Currently my G3 is back to a stock OS (meaning native and no mods), no unnecessary apps to screw the mind, Spotify runs flawless and Whatsup shows me incoming messages, I can write messages with voice commands, maps and traffic is working great,
the bluetooth phone...that is what I was unhappy with all the time and lately using the phone through usb with AA, much clearer sound both end of the talk...and that is nothing to do with audi, that is a nature of the bluetooth.
What I am missing with the G3 is a built in hardware equalizer, the substitute apps just mimicking any tone control and that junk drives me crazy.
Also I want my next phone to have the very top of the line photo elements, pretty much don't care for the name.
Pixel2, any good? vs Samsung? or +1? pretty much all the same price tag...
Pixel 2 has been an absolutely awesome experience for me. I've had it for a week now and battery life, camera, speed, AI, Android Auto have been top notch. I personally like a smaller form factor so I opted for P2 vs the P2 XL. I know the XL has a bunch of screen problems right now (burn in, color saturation) but Google has come out and offered a 2 year warranty on the Pixel phone (https://productforums.google.com/for...le/FRyoLZZjXvo). I had the Samsung Galaxy S8 when it first came out but got rid of it after 2 weeks because I felt it was too fragile and the form factor and screen size and resolution were awkward to use, Honestly, if you want the best audio experience with your phone consider the LG V30 with a built-in Quad-DAC. But the best overall phone IMHO is the Pixel 2.
Old 10-27-2017, 06:16 AM
AudiWorld Member

So I have an update for everyone. I tinkered with the settings under Android Auto, and yesterday when making the trip home from work, plugged my Pixel 2 in. AA fired up immediately on the phone, but didn't try to take over the MMI. So, thinking it wasn't working, I went into the MMI and scrolled until I found the option waiting for me. I clicked it, and it worked flawlessly from there. Not sure what the exact reason was, but it worked. I'll have to see if it continues to do so. What I thought I'd do is list out the settings I have for my phone to see if it helps or matches others.
  1. I did a direct transfer of data from my Nexus 5x to my new Pixel 2 when I got it.
  2. I paired my phone with the car. The car is listed as a device under Bluetooth and I have also made it a trusted location/item.
  3. Here are the settings in Adroid Auto:
    1. Limit WiFi = off
    2. Show message notifications = on
    3. Autolaunch: all options under this heading = on
    4. Use Bluetooth (turn BT on when AA is running) = on
    5. Screen Always On = on
FWIW, other than this little hiccup, I agree that the phone has been superb. Battery life even with wifi and BT on is great. The camera is far superior to any other phone I've used (several brands and models including Apple). The phone is fast- there is no real lag when launching, closing apps, etc. I am very happy with it. And best of all, it fits in my pocket no problem

Quick Reply: Google Pixel 2 and 2018 A4 Issues