A4 (B9 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B9 Audi A4 2017-

Hands Free Trunk Open

Search this Thread

Old 09-18-2017, 06:34 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

It didn't work for a week. Then it started working!
Old 09-18-2017, 03:30 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Weird bug

I found a weird bug. I can reliably open the trunk with my foot. I just tap the car lightly with my foot on the right or left edge of where the license plate is and it’ll open up about 95% of the time.

But here’s an odd thing I discovered. If you open the trunk with your foot, the doors will refuse to unlock by sticking your hand behind the door handles. It’ll unlock with the key fob, but not with just the hand. If I don’t open the trunk with my foot, the doors open just fine.
Old 09-18-2017, 06:16 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by NorthwestB9
I found a weird bug. I can reliably open the trunk with my foot. I just tap the car lightly with my foot on the right or left edge of where the license plate is and it’ll open up about 95% of the time.

But here’s an odd thing I discovered. If you open the trunk with your foot, the doors will refuse to unlock by sticking your hand behind the door handles. It’ll unlock with the key fob, but not with just the hand. If I don’t open the trunk with my foot, the doors open just fine.
I always use my foot to open the trunk and never have had to use my key fob to unlock the doors. You might want to get that checked out.
Old 09-18-2017, 06:20 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by blassus
I always use my foot to open the trunk and never have had to use my key fob to unlock the doors. You might want to get that checked out.
Ditto, had a work event today and kicked under the trunk to open it with the key in my suit pocket, put what I needed there, closed it, and was able to unlock the back driver side door with just my hand no problem.
Old 09-20-2017, 06:18 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by berkmann
A quick PS to my experience... I just had the car in for its first scheduled service, and after testing it themselves and seeing that it wasn't just me doing it wrong, the dealership replaced the trunk sensor module under warranty.

I'm happy to report that it now works 100% of the time, as it should, no matter how long it's been sitting. So if you're having persistent problems, push for that repair!
Me too. I just had my car serviced last week for the airbag recall, and they also replaced the trunk sensor as mine would not open after the car had been parked more than 10 minutes or so. Now it works all the time, with the exception when the car is parked for several days, but that is by design per the user manual as it disables some functions to save on the battery - same reason why door handle unlocking doesn’t work in the same scenario.
Old 09-21-2017, 06:28 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by fixpoint
Me too. I just had my car serviced last week for the airbag recall, and they also replaced the trunk sensor as mine would not open after the car had been parked more than 10 minutes or so. Now it works all the time, with the exception when the car is parked for several days, but that is by design per the user manual as it disables some functions to save on the battery - same reason why door handle unlocking doesn’t work in the same scenario.
It drove me mad for weeks - sometimes it would open, other times not. Mostly not. I was browsing audiworld one day and ended up watching a youtube video,
and if I do what this guy does, the straight in kick, it works every singe time (that it is supposed to work)
Old 09-21-2017, 04:48 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Mine has worked flawlessly every time. Dealer showed me exactly what this guy posted when I bought my car.
Old 09-23-2017, 06:06 AM
vgt
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I actually prefer the requirement for a deliberate straight-in straight-out kick. We have a '17 Explorer as well, and sometimes just walking by the back of the car too closely will trigger it. Not fun in a garage when the car is backed up near the wall.
Old 10-31-2021, 01:06 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default I fix I found.

When you have tried all methods of kicking under the car to get the trunk to open, and it will not. I found that unplugging it underneath the bumper where the connector is to a Box and waiting a little bit then reconnect in it, it worked every time after that. I was very happy to see it work again
The following users liked this post:
dseag2 (10-31-2021)
Old 10-31-2021, 06:22 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 81 Likes on 61 Posts

Good to know. I've had my A4 for over 5 years and have yet to get it work consistently so I just gave up. I'll try this.

Quick Reply: Hands Free Trunk Open