A4 (B9 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B9 Audi A4 2017-

Help with a front bumper conversion

Search this Thread

Old 04-13-2019, 02:28 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Default Help with a front bumper conversion

Hi all,

I'm contemplating doing a front bumper conversion from a non-S-line to an S-Line bumper. Its rather pricey though, so I want to make sure I dont buy parts that I wont need.

S-Line: https://nemigaparts.com/cat_spares/e...a4/849/807150/

Normal: https://nemigaparts.com/cat_spares/e...a4/849/807100/

So parts 8 (bumper), 23 (middle grill thing) and 42 (fog light inserts) of the S-Line are obvious. I will need those. My biggest question comes with item 25 (the splash cover). Does anybody know if my original will work, and I can retro-fit it.. or do I really need this part as well for it to work?

Thanks
Old 04-15-2019, 11:45 AM
AudiWorld Member

For those interested.. got some feedback from a local supplier. Though the mounting holes are in the same location, the "splash cover" shape wont allow the bumper to sit against it as it should, compromising the rigidity and sturdy-ness of the bumper
Old 04-15-2019, 03:01 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 46 Likes on 33 Posts

Why exactly are you looking to make this change? The differences between the 2 bumpers are really not all that big. I find the biggest difference in look on an S-line is the the side skirt things added, bigger wheels and rear bumper, with the lowered suspension. IMO anyways. Maybe for a fraction of the money of what this would cost you, you could look into getting an RS style grill - plenty of info on that here from others that have done it. That'll definitely give you a more athletic look over just the bumper.
Old 04-16-2019, 02:50 AM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by munsabin
Why exactly are you looking to make this change? The differences between the 2 bumpers are really not all that big. I find the biggest difference in look on an S-line is the the side skirt things added, bigger wheels and rear bumper, with the lowered suspension. IMO anyways. Maybe for a fraction of the money of what this would cost you, you could look into getting an RS style grill - plenty of info on that here from others that have done it. That'll definitely give you a more athletic look over just the bumper.
Yeah I'm with you.. but the difference is still there. Wouldnt an RS style grill on the non-S-line look a bit poser-ey?
I have the side skirts already - came with the car. And IMO I cant tell the difference between the S-line rear and the normal rear, other than the black stripe. I've got 18" wheels as well, in the sportier style, so theyre fine for me as well. I just feel like the front would really make a difference. Here is a pic for reference. (Mine on the right). I photoshopped the black grills to test out the look.

Am I caring way too much about this?
Old 04-16-2019, 04:37 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 46 Likes on 33 Posts

Ok yeah I feel you. There is a difference there. I still wouldn't change the full front. Maybe opt for doing a black plastidip grille (instead of RS style i mentioned above) and get a standard bumper front lip which will give it a sportier look and bridge that gap well.

It all depends on how you sit with money and are willing to spend I guess. For me, it's not a change I would be willing to invest in and do myself, and if I had the cash to buy and get someone else to do it, then I'd be driving a different Audi... That's how I look at it anyways.

Last edited by munsabin; 04-16-2019 at 05:25 AM.
Old 04-16-2019, 11:37 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 22 Likes on 19 Posts

Yes you are. I'd do a rear spoiler before redoing the front. There is not that big of a difference.
Old 04-16-2019, 11:52 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 86 Likes on 56 Posts

Originally Posted by dbias
I'd do a rear spoiler before redoing the front. There is not that big of a difference.
I agree that the differences between the two are all individually minor, but in combination change the look of the front a lot. There's a much more pronounced protrusion around the "fog light" grilles. The little "winglets" at the bottom corner of the grille are more pronounced. The cross member between the "winglets" is separated. That all being said, that's a lot of money for something nobody other than Audi enthusiasts will ever notice (and I'd be willing to bet may of them couldn't tell the difference either). I do think it would look a lot better, but the question is, is it worth the money to you?
Old 04-17-2019, 11:45 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I don't have the s-line front bumper either but as far as I can tell, the grille portions are the same size and therefore the RS style grille should still fit fine. My plan is to do that RS grille and add a front lip, nothing too big but it helps to make the front look lower and I don't think it would look out of place whatsoever. The difference in the two bumpers are so minimal to me and just not worth the pretty heavy cost of changing the bumper entirely. Also, I don't think being "poser-ey" because it's not like the s-line offers real aerodynamic performance benefits, it's just cosmetic. When you start adding fake vents, scoops, and things... that's when it gets into cringe land.

Up to you, if you can afford the full swap and will be happy with it, go for it! But I kind of mod on a budget so I probably wouldn't do that myself.
Old 04-17-2019, 12:31 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 25 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by DexteRS
I don't have the s-line front bumper either but as far as I can tell, the grille portions are the same size and therefore the RS style grille should still fit fine...
Unfortunately, it's not that easy, as these bumpers require different grilles. I'm not sure of HOW different they are, but maybe someone on here could explain the difference between the "M" and the "BR" indications?

https://www.audipartsnationwide.com/...bC1sNC1nYXM%3D

VS.

https://www.audipartsnationwide.com/...w0LWdhcw%3D%3D
Old 04-18-2019, 12:15 AM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by BeezySBaby
Unfortunately, it's not that easy, as these bumpers require different grilles. I'm not sure of HOW different they are, but maybe someone on here could explain the difference between the "M" and the "BR" indications?

https://www.audipartsnationwide.com/...bC1sNC1nYXM%3D

VS.

https://www.audipartsnationwide.com/...w0LWdhcw%3D%3D
Thats interesting... I always thought they were the same

Quick Reply: Help with a front bumper conversion