A4 (B9 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B9 Audi A4 2017-

Hot phone when using Android Auto

Search this Thread

Old 09-23-2017, 03:52 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 119 Likes on 81 Posts
Default Hot phone when using Android Auto

My Android phone gets very hot while using Android Auto and apps such as Waze. If I didn't have a case on the phone, it would be too hot to touch.

Anybody else experiencing this?
Old 09-23-2017, 05:07 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 5 Likes on 2 Posts

I experience something similar when I have my Nexus 5x plugged into the car and running Bluetooth. I am not 100% sure which thing is causing the issue. I have mine in a case as well, but notice the temp when I unplug it and put it in my pocket. Thing is, I've noticed this in other situations outside of the car as well. I have to wonder if its an Android thing, or bluetooth.
Old 09-23-2017, 07:03 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 35 Likes on 28 Posts

Android Auto really exercises your phone when it is running. In addition to your GPS, cellular radio, and generally 3 apps all actively running, it is also running the video encoder on your phone the whole time and sending streaming video over the USB port.

Your phone has protections in it to prevent it from getting too hot internally -- if it does, it will initiate a thermal shutdown. What you're seeing as heat is actually a good thing because the phone is dissipating the heat out instead of the internals cooking too much.

This all being said, newer is always better, and newer Android phones are able to handle all of this activity better because of faster processors and more application memory.

You didn't say, but what phone are you using AA with?

Originally Posted by A4Driver
My Android phone gets very hot while using Android Auto and apps such as Waze. If I didn't have a case on the phone, it would be too hot to touch.

Anybody else experiencing this?
Old 09-23-2017, 07:21 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 5 Likes on 2 Posts

Great post scoopman.Wish I had thought it through like that. Thanks.
Old 09-23-2017, 08:58 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 162 Likes on 116 Posts

Originally Posted by scoopman
Android Auto really exercises your phone when it is running. In addition to your GPS, cellular radio, and generally 3 apps all actively running, it is also running the video encoder on your phone the whole time and sending streaming video over the USB port.

Your phone has protections in it to prevent it from getting too hot internally -- if it does, it will initiate a thermal shutdown. What you're seeing as heat is actually a good thing because the phone is dissipating the heat out instead of the internals cooking too much.

This all being said, newer is always better, and newer Android phones are able to handle all of this activity better because of faster processors and more application memory.

Also, if you remove the case it will cool better.
Old 09-23-2017, 12:20 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Are you using an older phone? I was still using my One Plus One when I first got my A4. That phone is almost 3 yrs old. It would get very hot after just a few minutes running AA. I would also get connection drops frequently. I decided to get a Samsung S8+. No more heat or dropped connections to AA.
Old 09-23-2017, 05:32 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Thanks for the great explanation. I am using an Honor 5X, which is made by Huawei. And, as a matter of fact, the phone did shut down today while I was driving using and Android Auto. I thought the battery was dead because about 10 minutes before the phone died, I got a warning message on my MMI screen saying the phone battery was very low. When I reached my destination about 10 minutes later, I tried everything to restart the phone, but it wouldn't come back on. I thought it was toast.

But when I got back home several hours later, I tried to restart the phone and, to my surprise, it restarted with still some juice in the battery.

My phone has an aluminum back, but I have a rubber case on the phone as well as a protective glass shield on the screen. I'm sure those contributed to the phone getting hot.
Old 09-23-2017, 07:52 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 35 Likes on 28 Posts

Yep, that's def thermal shutdown. Better have that than what happened to Note 7's.

Might want to think about a phone upgrade ... that phone is pretty old and it looks like it only runs Android 5.1? Lots of the apps on Android, including Assistant and Android Auto, will run better and with more functionality if you have a phone with at least Marshmallow, Android 6.0.

Originally Posted by A4Driver
Thanks for the great explanation. I am using an Honor 5X, which is made by Huawei. And, as a matter of fact, the phone did shut down today while I was driving using and Android Auto. I thought the battery was dead because about 10 minutes before the phone died, I got a warning message on my MMI screen saying the phone battery was very low. When I reached my destination about 10 minutes later, I tried everything to restart the phone, but it wouldn't come back on. I thought it was toast.

But when I got back home several hours later, I tried to restart the phone and, to my surprise, it restarted with still some juice in the battery.

My phone has an aluminum back, but I have a rubber case on the phone as well as a protective glass shield on the screen. I'm sure those contributed to the phone getting hot.
Old 09-24-2017, 03:14 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Yep, that's def thermal shutdown. Better have that than what happened to Note 7's.
Might want to think about a phone upgrade ... that phone is pretty old and it looks like it only runs Android 5.1? Lots of the apps on Android, including Assistant and Android Auto, will run better and with more functionality if you have a phone with at least Marshmallow, Android 6.0
My phone has Android 6.0.1. Has been running it for some time now. I am going to upgrade in the future, but other than this Android Auto problem, the phone works very well.