A4 (B9 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B9 Audi A4 2017-

Audi Connect

Search this Thread

Old 12-31-2016, 09:58 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Default Audi Connect

Hey all, just picked up my B9 as i got rid of my A6 C6 faceflift 3.0T

This is the ultra premium as i really needed this for daily commuting so was fine without the bells and whistles. It has convenience package and 18" wheels.

i am somewhat confused by the wifi in the car. How does it work? I can't connect to it for some reason with the password they give me.

Also, where is the SIM slot located? Unless the A4 ultra premiums dont have this capability?

Last but not least, in the glox is the AMI with 2 SD card slots and a CD. Does this have DVD capabilities or only the Premium+ ? I tried one DVD and it did not read.
Old 12-31-2016, 11:08 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 244 Likes on 188 Posts

Nothing is anymore like is was in the previous generation Audis. Forget everything you know and take a weekend reading about the new MIB2 MMI introduced with the MLB evo platform (A4 B9/8W and Q7 4M). AudiConnect requires the MMI Navigation Plus. The thing in the glovebox is the actual MMI head unit and not the AMI. SIMs are no longer used for AudiConnect or WiFi hotspot (at least officially), all AudiConnect features require an AudiConnect subscription which is included for the first 6 months and should have been activated by your dealer during delivery.
Old 12-31-2016, 01:33 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Originally Posted by AudiA4B6US
Nothing is anymore like is was in the previous generation Audis. Forget everything you know and take a weekend reading about the new MIB2 MMI introduced with the MLB evo platform (A4 B9/8W and Q7 4M). AudiConnect requires the MMI Navigation Plus. The thing in the glovebox is the actual MMI head unit and not the AMI. SIMs are no longer used for AudiConnect or WiFi hotspot (at least officially), all AudiConnect features require an AudiConnect subscription which is included for the first 6 months and should have been activated by your dealer during delivery.
yea no kidding. what do you mean about sims? Are they internal or something? i searched through a thread yesterday where someone programmed (with vagcom) their head unit to use tmobile internet. Is this only possible on the nav+ units?

To be honest with you the manual is not too clear in explaining things well, especially if it's an option in some vehicles
Old 12-31-2016, 01:38 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 244 Likes on 188 Posts

No idea if cars without Navigation Plus have AudiConnect and any of the other features that are part of AudiConnect Prime. The MIB2 MMI is using an internal eSIM for AudiConnect and in the US the external SIM is officially not used at all anymore. WiFi hotspot does work with an external SIM after some creative coding (no confirmation yet that it does work without AudiConnect subscription though). There is a chance that Google Earth does work without AudiConnect and after some creative coding but there is less of a chance to get Traffic and the other features working without AudiConnect subscription.
Old 12-31-2016, 01:48 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

yea so i just spoke with my dealer and he says since my a4 is without the tech package and nav+, i do not have audi connect. I would LOVE to find out how to code around this to get at least an external sim working. Google maps would be a huge bonus, but since i do not have NAV, i doubt that will be possible.

If anyone has the info, please post
Old 12-31-2016, 07:46 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Get an Android phone, plug it in, and then use Android auto to get your google maps.
Old 04-20-2017, 11:47 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Eric5273
Get an Android phone, plug it in, and then use Android auto to get your google maps.
Not sure but I think I read in another forum that if you have Virtual Cockpit (VC) Android Auto will only show Google Maps on the center screen and not the VC screen. If true, that's disappointing.
Old 04-20-2017, 03:35 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

That's true even without VC. I had an A4 Avant rental in the UK, and Android Auto only displayed on the center screen. The driver's screen, when set to navigation, just showed the car's position on whatever Audi map display had been set before turning on AA, with controls limited to zooming in and out. The driver's display did not show route or navigation instructions.

That car wasn't equipped with a HUD, but I've wondered ever since whether or not AA navigation instructions would appear on the HUD, as Audi navigation data does.
Old 04-20-2017, 11:27 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 1,065 Likes on 740 Posts

Originally Posted by Obsidian3K
That car wasn't equipped with a HUD, but I've wondered ever since whether or not AA navigation instructions would appear on the HUD, as Audi navigation data does.
No, they don't. AA only supports a single display. Apple Car Play as of iOS 10 supports an auxiliary display for navigation instructions, but Audi has to first support it. So far both systems are limited to only the center display.