A4 (B9 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B9 Audi A4 2017-

How to fix this scratch?

Search this Thread

Old 07-07-2021, 06:10 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default How to fix this scratch?

Got my windshield replaced today and noticed a chip on the window frame. Any idea what caused this? best approach to fix? Is this something the shop should fix or is this something they won't cover?

Old 07-07-2021, 06:44 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 266 Likes on 204 Posts

If it wasn't there before they replaced the windshield and was there after they replace the windshield, I would expect them to pay to have it repaired. The challenge will be "proving" to their satisfaction that they caused it.

If they do, I'd prefer to have a dealership service department do the work. It appears to be down to the metal, and maybe even deformed the metal bodywork.

It looks like there's also a scuff in the black plastic - something dropped and hit both, or bounced off the plastic onto the paint.
Old 07-07-2021, 07:26 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by PghRich
If it wasn't there before they replaced the windshield and was there after they replace the windshield, I would expect them to pay to have it repaired. The challenge will be "proving" to their satisfaction that they caused it.

If they do, I'd prefer to have a dealership service department do the work. It appears to be down to the metal, and maybe even deformed the metal bodywork.

It looks like there's also a scuff in the black plastic - something dropped and hit both, or bounced off the plastic onto the paint.
By the dent in the rubber I had suspected they dropped something on there.
Old 07-07-2021, 07:46 PM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 16 Likes on 11 Posts

I would suspect that the shop dropped something on there and damaged it. I'd also suspect that if they got it that way, they'd have pointed it out to make sure you don't blame them for it later.

Unfortunately, you have much more than just a scratch as the paint is chipped away. It will need a good touch up and finishing to smooth it out or otherwise a repaint. A professional shop could tell you what to do to correct that.

But, you should address it with the shop before it is too late and too much time passed.

Good luck with it,
Old 07-08-2021, 08:28 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 53 Likes on 41 Posts

That's going to be a tough fight as the A-Pillar is prone to being hit by rocks...

Did you document it before having it replaced?