A4 (B9 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B9 Audi A4 2017-

How long do you expect to have your A4?

Search this Thread

Old 03-23-2019, 01:03 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 882 Likes on 721 Posts

Originally Posted by SDakota
I plan to keep mine until it turns to dust because when I'm ready for a new one there won't be any more manual transmission AWD cars left to buy.
‘you almost have a unicorn at this point
Old 03-23-2019, 01:20 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

I plan to keep mine until it turns to dust because when I'm ready for a new one there won't be any more manual transmission AWD cars left to buy.
I feel the same way. This car is a blast with the manual it's the very last of its kind, at least in America.
Old 03-23-2019, 01:29 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 119 Likes on 81 Posts

Originally Posted by Huria17
This Summer (July) will mark the 3rd year of owning my 2017 B9 A4. When I bought it, I thought I’d only have it for 4-5 years, until AudiCare ran out. Unfortunately, I don’t see myself getting a new car in 2 years as my financial situation hasn’t gone the way I thought it would.
For planning purposes, how long do you all expect to keep your A4’s? I’m not sure if I’m being overly optimistic in thinking that I can keep my A4 for 8-10 years.
For reference, I drive it sparingly: in 2.5 years, I’ve only put 15,000 (not even, actually) miles on it. I don’t really take care of it though, just take it for service once a year. My last cars were Toyota’s that lasted 10 years each, around 180,000 total miles, so I don’t have experience with Audi.
I have bought each of my four Audi A4s at their launch ('96, '02, '09, '17) and kept each until until the next generation came out. I probably will do the same with my 2017. In addition to the prestige of being one of the first in my city to own the new model, I find that Audi loads their first-year models with features that they eventually turn into options or remove altogether. Yes, the first three cars required pricey repairs after the warranties expired, but it was way cheaper than buying a new car. My '17, on the other hand, has run flawlessly, and I've only put 20K on the odometer in three years. I doubt I'll go over 50K buy the time I'm ready to trade it in.
Old 03-23-2019, 01:41 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 27 Likes on 21 Posts

I literally picked up my new A4 today. I would be happy with getting 5-7 years. I’m coming out of an Acura that I’ve had for 9 and 160k miles. I’m not expecting that type of longevity.
The following users liked this post:
Scutu Mix (05-18-2020)
Old 03-23-2019, 06:42 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

When do you think the next revision will be, b10? Seems like its every 7-8 years, hope its shorter this time as my lease ends on on '22
Old 03-24-2019, 03:49 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 882 Likes on 721 Posts

Audi typically has 7 model years within a generation
Old 03-24-2019, 03:57 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 49 Likes on 34 Posts

My "usual" swap out for a new car is about 3 years, but a few things have changed my mind. First is the fact that I have bought and sold 3 cars in less than a year that was about the dumbest thing I did - car wise- or rather car unwise. Way too much money lost on depreciation. Second is the fact that I'm 65 years old and have to be mindful of $$$$ more so now than when I was younger. Third, I have found and own a car - 2017 Allroad that is simply the best, most fun to drive car I ever owned and really the only issues I have had is a cracked differential - fixed under warranty and that recurring "whirling" noise in low gears and while braking - which I will be returning to the dealer soon enough. I also have spent extra to have the coated professionally and PP film applied as well as 5k oil changes and a separate set of winter tires and wheels.

Now, a changer could/would be if the car gets in an accident that affects its integrity or I start to have "issues." When I get closer to the 4 year/50k period and the car is running fine, I will take a serious look at the extended warranties out there. I would be happy to have this car for at least another 5-8 or so years.
At that time - or before if it it turns out that way, I would look to a way less expensive and more reliable - YET HIGHLY RATED type car - Subarus, Mazda or Honda CRV.

Last edited by bob m; 03-24-2019 at 04:00 AM.
Old 03-24-2019, 05:46 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 49 Likes on 35 Posts

I sold my previous car at 6 years and 90K miles. The Audi will probably stick around until the CPO warranty is almost out. Not sure what I will get after that but as with all other nice things - it’s easy to get used to them and hard to live without them then. While the practical side of me is thinking something like an STI or type r civic or golf R, I’m afraid I will always end up comparing the comfort to the A4...
Old 03-24-2019, 06:29 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts

My feelings exactly.
Old 05-09-2020, 09:06 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 36 Likes on 28 Posts

Completely agree. I'm hoping to never own an automatic. Manuals are too great, too much fun to drive. I assume by the time I am ready to get rid of my 2017 A4 manual (which I bought in February used with low miles) all cars will be electric. I had a 2010 a5 - bought it in 2015 and drove it for 5 years. I wanted 4 doors (and one of the last manuals made in the US) but it was still in amazing shape after 10 years and 74k miles. I could easily see driving my a4 for 10-12 years and loving it.

Quick Reply: How long do you expect to have your A4?