Search this Thread

Old 06-28-2017, 05:06 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Mine seems to pause the music as well.
Old 06-28-2017, 05:37 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 99 Likes on 44 Posts

A way to ensure music will not play when starting up is to select an inserted, empty SD card as the source before turning off the car. It will be remembered next time you start the car and there will be no sound.
Old 06-28-2017, 07:45 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 18 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by audi8k
My first A4 (B8 of the first model year) did remember the Mute status also from day to day. My current A4 (B8.5 model year -14) does not remember.
Seriously??? I had driven/owned probably 50+ different cars and never seen one that doesn't remember the 'mute status'.

If I turn 'off' the radio in my A4 B9 it will certainly remember it next time when I start the car.
Old 06-28-2017, 08:25 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by audi8k
My first A4 (B8 of the first model year) did remember the Mute status also from day to day. My current A4 (B8.5 model year -14) does not remember.

If muted when shut down, there is a "Minumum Sound Level" setting that takes Mute OFF and sets the level at the next ignition ON.
For the B8 there is a work-around. The "Minumum Sound Level" can be changed to zero by using the "Hidden/Green Menu". It still doesn't remember Mute but when I want silence for a while I reduce the audio level to zero. It then allows the sound to be off.

While this isn't applicable directly on the B9 system, maybe someone can look for a similar setting and work-around (using VCDS or similar).
I'm pretty sure my B7 remembered.
Old 06-28-2017, 08:42 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 1,065 Likes on 740 Posts

Originally Posted by IMYM
Seriously??? I had driven/owned probably 50+ different cars and never seen one that doesn't remember the 'mute status'.

If I turn 'off' the radio in my A4 B9 it will certainly remember it next time when I start the car.
The MMI 3G+ with latest firmware and B&O definitely remembers the last volume level/mute. If I remember correctly, Bluetooth starts playing again even if it was muted last, but that might be a function of the phone rather than the MMI. At least this is how it functions in my RS5. I don't remember if it behaved differently with the initial firmware version. I've had several updates in the meantime and am currently on the latest version as far as I know. I can't confirm for the B9. So far I've only driven loaners.

Originally Posted by kurtatx
I'm pretty sure my B7 remembered.
My B7 S4 always went back to the minimum volume level. It was an interesting idea. I appreciated it if I left the music blasting on the previous drive and not be startled by loud music next time, however on the other end it was annoying if turned down the volume or muted it on the previous drive and then it came back on at the higher minimum level the next time.
Old 06-28-2017, 12:00 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by superswiss
My B7 S4 always went back to the minimum volume level. It was an interesting idea. I appreciated it if I left the music blasting on the previous drive and not be startled by loud music next time, however on the other end it was annoying if turned down the volume or muted it on the previous drive and then it came back on at the higher minimum level the next time.
It would be a good function if the Min/Max levels and Enable/Disable were user selectable via MMI. With the fix I did on my B8.5 I'm actually using the Max level setting like you mention so it won't start blasting if I was 'inspired' when I turned the car off. (On my home audio system, which for sure has memory, I anyway start up using profiles that have a fixed starting level.) I think the mistake in Audi implementation is to dictate a minimum start up level and not remember the mute status.
Old 06-28-2017, 12:45 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Nuttz4Sports
I'll try to be a little bit more clear.....when I turn on the car, the radio comes on, whether it is FM, AM or siriusXM...... If I change to media then the radio stops....if I select menu, the radio keeps playing, if I plug in my iphone, carplay connects, but unless I choose music on car play, the radio still plays....

If I push and hold the small round **** on the right hand side of the MMI wheel, then the radio and MMI turn of. If I just push and let go quickly, it mutes the radio, if I push it left or right, it changes the station...... the same is true about the control on the steering wheel

I want to be able to completely turn off the radio while still having the functionality of the other items within the MMI.....
I think this is a German car thing. My Mercedes is the same way.. I hit the power button and the entire system shuts off. No Bluetooth and the only electronic controls left are the HVAC and the instrument cluster display. Annoying, but I've gotten used to it. Every other car I've had shuts off just the audio system and allows you to use everthing else.
Old 06-28-2017, 05:28 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

My B9 Allroad (Prestige) remembers mute status between turning the car off and back on again. There is no radio-only on/off, but muting by clicking the volume/mute **** gives the same result. It may even shut the amplifier off because there doesn't seem to be any "noise floor" sound coming out of the speakers.

I had a '17 A6 dealer loaner (definitely not a prestige) and it did not remember the mute setting between car power cycles. I was kind of surprised by that.