A4 (B9 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B9 Audi A4 2017-

How to turn off Radio w/o turning off MMI

Search this Thread

Old 06-27-2017, 06:46 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default How to turn off Radio w/o turning off MMI

Ok...I have read the manual over and over again and gone through the MMI menu several times. I must be missing it or this is a bad design flaw....

How the heck do I turn off the radio without turning off the MMI screen.

And I am not talking about going to another input like media.......I just want to know if there is a way to turn off the radio in case I would like peace and quiet, but still need the ability to use the MMI
Old 06-27-2017, 06:48 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Just press the volume button down once. Hold it down to turn off the MMI.
Old 06-27-2017, 06:54 PM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by Strife1013
Just press the volume button down once. Hold it down to turn off the MMI.
But I don't want to turn off the MMI when I turn of the radio.....
Old 06-27-2017, 06:57 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 77 Likes on 64 Posts

Originally Posted by Nuttz4Sports
Ok...I have read the manual over and over again and gone through the MMI menu several times. I must be missing it or this is a bad design flaw....

How the heck do I turn off the radio without turning off the MMI screen.

And I am not talking about going to another input like media.......I just want to know if there is a way to turn off the radio in case I would like peace and quiet, but still need the ability to use the MMI
Are you talking about something other than pressing down on the volume **** on the console? (This works for media, I don't know if it works on radio.) This turns off the music but the MMI screen stays on.

I'll ask a parallel question: on media, every time I start the car the music comes on - it there a way to prevent it?

Last edited by lowjdml; 06-27-2017 at 06:59 PM.
Old 06-27-2017, 07:15 PM
AudiWorld Member

I'll try to be a little bit more clear.....when I turn on the car, the radio comes on, whether it is FM, AM or siriusXM...... If I change to media then the radio stops....if I select menu, the radio keeps playing, if I plug in my iphone, carplay connects, but unless I choose music on car play, the radio still plays....

If I push and hold the small round **** on the right hand side of the MMI wheel, then the radio and MMI turn of. If I just push and let go quickly, it mutes the radio, if I push it left or right, it changes the station...... the same is true about the control on the steering wheel

I want to be able to completely turn off the radio while still having the functionality of the other items within the MMI.....
Old 06-27-2017, 07:16 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 1,065 Likes on 740 Posts

Press the steering wheel volume button or the center console volume button and it will mute/pause the audio source you are currently listening to including the radio.
Old 06-27-2017, 07:29 PM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by superswiss
Press the steering wheel volume button or the center console volume button and it will mute/pause the audio source you are currently listening to including the radio.
Ok, I do get that I can mute the radio/audio source by pressing down on the button, but again, I want to know if there is a way to turn off the radio/audio source without turning off the MMI......I get that this might be a flaw in the design and if it is, then ok, I'll live with it, but so far no one has told me whether or not it can be done.
Old 06-27-2017, 07:38 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Nuttz4Sports
Ok, I do get that I can mute the radio/audio source by pressing down on the button, but again, I want to know if there is a way to turn off the radio/audio source without turning off the MMI......I get that this might be a flaw in the design and if it is, then ok, I'll live with it, but so far no one has told me whether or not it can be done.
No, it cannot be done. Mute is all you get for suspending volume/playback.

Since the first generation of MMI I believe it has been the same.
Old 06-27-2017, 08:08 PM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by Noggybowl

Ok thanks
Old 06-27-2017, 08:11 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by Noggybowl

My first A4 (B8 of the first model year) did remember the Mute status also from day to day. My current A4 (B8.5 model year -14) does not remember.

If muted when shut down, there is a "Minumum Sound Level" setting that takes Mute OFF and sets the level at the next ignition ON.
For the B8 there is a work-around. The "Minumum Sound Level" can be changed to zero by using the "Hidden/Green Menu". It still doesn't remember Mute but when I want silence for a while I reduce the audio level to zero. It then allows the sound to be off.

While this isn't applicable directly on the B9 system, maybe someone can look for a similar setting and work-around (using VCDS or similar).

Quick Reply: How to turn off Radio w/o turning off MMI