A4 (B9 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B9 Audi A4 2017-

Inferior fuel - reflects on idle?

Search this Thread

Old 05-22-2018, 05:11 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 49 Likes on 35 Posts
Default Inferior fuel - reflects on idle?

Earlier today I was sitting at a light right before getting on the highway and noticed minor disturbances in idle. I am very sensitive to idle “perfection” as all my previous stick shift cars never missed a beat at idle and I was always proud/impressed by it. Even with the A4, I’ve always though that the idle was very smooth. Yesterday I filled up with 93 octane at a Shell and today felt as if the car had some minor sputterring/misfire at idle. The idle speed was at about 800 and during the “sputter” the rpm needle never moved. Could this be attributed to fuel?
Old 05-23-2018, 03:45 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 102 Likes on 86 Posts

Originally Posted by vkamnyev
Earlier today I was sitting at a light right before getting on the highway and noticed minor disturbances in idle. I am very sensitive to idle “perfection” as all my previous stick shift cars never missed a beat at idle and I was always proud/impressed by it. Even with the A4, I’ve always though that the idle was very smooth. Yesterday I filled up with 93 octane at a Shell and today felt as if the car had some minor sputterring/misfire at idle. The idle speed was at about 800 and during the “sputter” the rpm needle never moved. Could this be attributed to fuel?
Did you use Shell V-Power 93 before? I for one strictly use that fuel only and never had a slight problem. Unless the station is cheating on you, Shell 93 is one of the best fuel in my experience. Could the "sputtering" is the sign of AC kick in and out?
Old 05-23-2018, 07:12 AM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by minmet
Did you use Shell V-Power 93 before? I for one strictly use that fuel only and never had a slight problem. Unless the station is cheating on you, Shell 93 is one of the best fuel in my experience. Could the "sputtering" is the sign of AC kick in and out?
i’ve used the Shell V Power 93 octane before but only one other time prior to the last fill up several days ago. My fill ups for the past several months have been Sunoco or BP. I have a scheduled appointment at the dealership for some other things next week but am hoping it’s just bad gas and maybe I’ll have time/opportunity to fill up elsewhere prior to going there... was just wanting to see if anyone else experienced anything similar.
Old 05-24-2018, 07:11 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I'm not sure the issue is related to fuel. While annoying and somewhat disappointing, I think this is normal behavior for these cars. I always use premium fuel but the idle is often slightly shaky. Reading other threads on this forum it seems common. I also had a Q5 loaner that did the exact same thing. Because of this I've grown to like the engine shut off feature at stops... that way you don't feel the shaky idle at all.
Old 05-25-2018, 04:53 AM
AudiWorld Member

Part of me was hoping it’s normal behavior... sadly. Just didn’t want to have anything “wrong” so early on. I guess not everything is perfect. You should feel my wife’s CRV... that thing vibrates and shakes like a wet cold dog, so in that comparison the Audi is great.
I’ve always disabled the auto start/stop every time I start the car, but maybe I should learn to like the feature too