A4 (B9 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B9 Audi A4 2017-

Just installed the 034 Motorsport strut brace

Search this Thread

Old 04-29-2017, 10:10 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 55 Likes on 43 Posts

Did you finish step 18 of the installation instructions?

Step 18 – Using a 5mm Allen Key and 2 of the supplied M8 flathead screws, secure the cross brace to the left and right strut brace. Torque to 35 Nm.
Old 04-29-2017, 10:17 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Dan in St. Louis
Did you finish step 18 of the installation instructions?

Step 18 – Using a 5mm Allen Key and 2 of the supplied M8 flathead screws, secure the cross brace to the left and right strut brace. Torque to 35 Nm.
Yeah, they are tight, but again it still has the ability to slide within the slotted area left and right...
Old 04-29-2017, 10:20 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 139 Likes on 102 Posts

Originally Posted by meijerbrantm
Yeah, they are tight, but again it still has the ability to slide within the slotted area left and right...
Can you take a picture of the whole assembly on your car?
Old 04-29-2017, 10:47 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

So I just got my allroad yesterday and installed this today, but now I'm a little confused. I put it on and the center bar that goes from the left to the right has so much slack. you can just slide it from left to right in the slots that are in it.

I really assume there shouldn't be this much movement. Not sure what I could have done incorrectly at this point though...

Like to video:
https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B5P...ew?usp=sharing
I had the same issue. Called 034 and they said crank it down to secure the middle bar. It's a clamping force that secures the middle bar, and in some cases the suggested torque is insufficient. It took 35 lbs. in my case. As it is not the bolts connected to the body, the torque applied is not important. Just be careful of rounding off the bolt heads when applying the extra torque needed. Yours may not need the 35# it took for mine, so just tighten until the center is secure.
Old 04-29-2017, 11:46 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by rrwood
I had the same issue. Called 034 and they said crank it down to secure the middle bar. It's a clamping force that secures the middle bar, and in some cases the suggested torque is insufficient. It took 35 lbs. in my case. As it is not the bolts connected to the body, the torque applied is not important. Just be careful of rounding off the bolt heads when applying the extra torque needed. Yours may not need the 35# it took for mine, so just tighten until the center is secure.
thanks for the advice it took about that to get it right for me too now, although I did snap my Alan inside the second one... oh well, another day.
Old 04-29-2017, 01:12 PM
AudiWorld Member

thanks for the advice it took about that to get it right for me too now, although I did snap my Alan inside the second one... oh well, another day.
You're welcome. Glad I could help.
Old 04-29-2017, 01:29 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts

Hmm, I had the same problem. At 14 ft lbs the crossbar still slid around to I just cranked down on it. So when is there enough clamping pressure? When the 5mm bolt strips, the allen head rounds out, or someone breaks their allen key off in the bolt head.. Poor design imo.

The ECS strut bar isn't as pretty but may be a better design. Torque values aren't supposed to be a guessing game.

ECS cross bar clamps down to one side with two bolts on either side instead of getting squeezed in between like the 034 bar with one 5mm bolt..
Name:  945677_x800_zpszwz9cslu.jpg
Views: 534
Size:  39.6 KB

Last edited by up-n-coming; 04-29-2017 at 01:44 PM.
Old 04-30-2017, 07:06 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by up-n-coming

The ECS strut bar isn't as pretty but may be a better design. Torque values aren't supposed to be a guessing game.

ECS cross bar clamps down to one side with two bolts on either side instead of getting squeezed in between like the 034 bar with one 5mm bolt..
It's also $125 cheaper, so it would be interesting to see what kind of results folks that purchased it are getting compared to the 034 Motorsport brace
Old 04-30-2017, 08:23 AM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by Nuttz4Sports
It's also $125 cheaper, so it would be interesting to see what kind of results folks that purchased it are getting compared to the 034 Motorsport brace
The center bar was a bit of a hiccup, but it was correctable. Less expensive is always appealing, but I felt comfortable going with 034 based on their parts performance records. I don't have the means to measure or the knowledge of what the data points would be, but it would be interesting to see a comparative.

Last edited by rrwood; 04-30-2017 at 10:10 AM.
Old 05-01-2017, 11:38 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 44 Likes on 41 Posts

I just saw that video. Something is definitely wrong. In my car, even without putting on the bolts, I had a hard time moving it around since it was tight. Definitely not loose like in your video. All I had to do was put the bolts in place and tighten it and it doesn't move even by 1mm.

Quick Reply: Just installed the 034 Motorsport strut brace