A4 (B9 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B9 Audi A4 2017-

Just took deliv - Paint swirls everwhere

Search this Thread

Old 04-07-2017, 07:25 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by A4Driver
That's one of the reasons why I never let my dealership wash my car. I'm bringing my car in next week for its first Audi Care service, and I will be sure to tell them not to wash it. I only wash it by hand with a soft lamb's wool mit. In cases where the car is covered with road salt in the middle of the winter, I will take it to a car wash with sprayers only, no brushes.
I used to use a lambswool mitt. Once I discovered Griot's boar's hair brush, that was the end of the mitt. Pricey, but much safer than a mitt.
Old 04-07-2017, 07:48 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 44 Likes on 41 Posts

Originally Posted by roger_1
I used to use a lambswool mitt. Once I discovered Griot's boar's hair brush, that was the end of the mitt. Pricey, but much safer than a mitt.
I use the brush to clean the grill and the honeycomb design thing just above the rear valance. I use a lambswool mitt or a chemical guys mitt. I usually don't let salt or dirt sit on it. I soak the car if there is too much dirt and seems to work till now. I always inspect the car under direct sunlight after drying and like I said, I've managed to keep swirls away.
Old 04-07-2017, 10:10 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Have the dealer take care of it. It is their responsibility to deliver the car to you in perfect condition. If they try again and still don't produce results, call AoA and turn on some heat.
Old 04-08-2017, 04:50 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 99 Likes on 44 Posts

If the swirls continue to bother you, consider getting a ceramic coating application i.e. Ceramic Pro 9H or Opti-Coat Pro Plus. Not only will it protect against paint swirls but it will protect the paint against bug and bird droppings, acid rain, UV fade, tar, etc. Plus, waxing will not be necessary to maintain a high gloss and the car will be easier to clean.
Old 04-08-2017, 05:48 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by SFV A4
Have the dealer take care of it. It is their responsibility to deliver the car to you in perfect condition. If they try again and still don't produce results, call AoA and turn on some heat.
Haha, good luck with that.
Old 04-08-2017, 05:55 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Originally Posted by BiscuitEmbryo
Haha, good luck with that.
+1. I don't think the dealer would do a paint correction. They'll probably use a buffer and some filler to hide swirls until your next wash which make it reappear.
Old 04-08-2017, 11:01 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

My car had some minor swirls all over and a hologram on the driver's door.

Like VipinLJ, I did the paint correction myself -- but even gentler. I used Pinnacle Advanced Finishing Polish on a pink pad and it took care of everything.

For surface protection, I applied Pinnacle Black Label Ceramic Paint, Wheel, and Glass coatings.

I use a three bucket wash method: one bucket specifically for wheels and tires, and a two-bucket wash method for the rest of the car, both using McKee's 37 N-914 rinseless wash.
Old 04-08-2017, 12:00 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by tommoran2
I just took deliv of my A-4 (Ibas White). After getting it home and looking at it in the sun there are faint swirls everywhere in the paint.

Not real pleased. Just wondering what I should do if anything.

Any advice appreciated ...

Tom
My advice is to forget the dealer (they did the damage in the first place) and take your car to a professional and reputable car detailer. Do this especially if you are not comfortable doing or you just don't have the time to do proper paint correction and paint sealing yourself.
Old 04-08-2017, 01:02 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Like the others said, I'd say forget the dealer and spends some money and get it fixed. The dealer will just make matters worse (if they use their buffer on your car, more likely than not, it'll end up with even more swirls and holograms since they probably won't clay your car and wash it using the 2BM) and they won't give you a new car.
Trust me. Using a PC is very easy. As a total noob, even I could do it. All I did was watch a couple of videos and I could work on my car (I was willing to spend money to get it professionally detailed if I screwed it up). But you need atleast one full day to work on your car (I washed and clawed my car the previous night, parked it in my garage, and did paint correction the next day).
Old 04-08-2017, 01:31 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I called the dlr and he wanted me to bring it back but I told him I really didn't want them to work on it anymore. I suggested that I get a quote from a reputable body shop locally that I have used before and I know do things right. He said OK . So I will get an estimate and get back to the dlr with it.

I have a PC and could do it myself but the way I see it I shouldn't have too. Ill see if they agree to the estimate I get on Monday.

Thanks fo all the responses.

This is a great site for a newbie to AUDI like me.

Quick Reply: Just took deliv - Paint swirls everwhere