A4 (B9 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B9 Audi A4 2017-

Large Crack in Windshield

Search this Thread

Old 08-24-2017, 04:29 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Large Crack in Windshield

As I was driving home today, I noticed a large crack in the windshield on my 2017 A4. Nothing hit the windshield, and I do not see any marks/chips near the crack. The crack is on the right side, and is about 14 inches long, and about 10 inches from the bottom of the windshield.

I recently had the right side head curtain air bag replaced pursuant to a recall. I wonder if the windshield was damaged during the air bag removal/replacement process.

Has anybody else had a cracked windshield?
Old 08-24-2017, 04:35 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

My partner has a cracked windshield on his Q5, got it one week after picking up, his was caused by a rock. We were at the dealership yesterday picking up my A4 and we asked our sales guy if there is anything special that would prevent some place like SafeLite fixing it, he said know. May want to look into camera calibration, I think I saw that being required after.

Sorry I couldn't be much more help.. I would definitely talk to dealer about the recent recall to say what they say. Maybe there is a chip behind a seal that started it. I've seen a bit of threads across the forms about cracked windshields. I wonder if it has anything to do with the angle of the glass..
Old 08-24-2017, 05:03 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I just finished replacing my windshield on my 6 week old A4. The crack appears to have started 2" from the bottom of the screen. May have been a small stone. I do not remember being hit by a stone. I will admit it is a little concerning.
Old 08-25-2017, 05:03 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I had my windshield replaced a couple months ago (was hit by some metal thing which flew off a truck in front of me). The replacement required a 4 wheel alignment and camera recalibration. Total cost was just over $2,100, all paid by State Farm as I have full glass coverage (no deductible).
Old 08-25-2017, 08:15 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I am getting quotes for around $1,000 to replace the windshield with an OEM Audi one. I guess that I am lucky that I do not have the lane departure system or heads up display. This is the first windshield claim that I have ever made, and I found out that I have a $250 deductible for glass damage.

Last edited by cruiserchuck; 08-25-2017 at 08:49 AM.