A4 (B9 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B9 Audi A4 2017-

Late 2018 map update for North America

Search this Thread

Old 12-27-2018, 06:44 AM
VM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 50 Likes on 39 Posts
Default Late 2018 map update for North America

Is anyone seeing a new map update? Normally the end of year map update went up around November/December, but I'm still seeing 2018/2019 which I believe is this summer's update. Is this because Audi decided that I'm not entitled to the next one (even though I've only gotten four), or is it not available for anyone?
Old 12-27-2018, 09:02 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 162 Likes on 116 Posts

I have not seen it either and I have only received 2 updates so I am still eligible. I checked myself last week thinking the same as you, that the update was late.
Old 12-27-2018, 10:49 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

I live in an area of Northern Virginia where new roads, some of them significant, are being built, extended, and/or connected all the time. I think I have installed two official map updates from Audi and I am still waiting for some of these new additions to be included. Its not a huge deal, but some of the time my B9 is "lost in space" while I'm on these new roads not in the Nav.

I solved the problem by using the already installed Apple CarPlay and the Waze app. For me it's a vastly superior Nav system which includes all the roads no matter how new they are, plus audible realtime police and road hazard warnings as well as current traffic conditions. You can adjust it to give you an audible beep if you exceed the posted speed by a preset amount and a host of other personalized features. Honestly, since I have started using it, I have never gone back to the standard Audi installed maps.

Last edited by Dave W; 12-27-2018 at 11:30 AM.
Old 12-27-2018, 07:45 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Dave W
I live in an area of Northern Virginia where new roads, some of them significant, are being built, extended, and/or connected all the time. I think I have installed two official map updates from Audi and I am still waiting for some of these new additions to be included. Its not a huge deal, but some of the time my B9 is "lost in space" while I'm on these new roads not in the Nav.

I solved the problem by using the already installed Apple CarPlay and the Waze app. For me it's a vastly superior Nav system which includes all the roads no matter how new they are, plus audible realtime police and road hazard warnings as well as current traffic conditions. You can adjust it to give you an audible beep if you exceed the posted speed by a preset amount and a host of other personalized features. Honestly, since I have started using it, I have never gone back to the standard Audi installed maps.
Dave, you are able to view Waze on your A4 display? That would be great. I'd like to figure out how to view Waze on the A4 display via my Samsung Android phone. I've been considering renewing my subscription to Audi Connect but question the value. All my wife really wants is the wifi, but of course, Audi doesn't offer that without the Audi Connect subscription.
Old 12-28-2018, 04:41 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by cdieter
Dave, you are able to view Waze on your A4 display? That would be great. I'd like to figure out how to view Waze on the A4 display via my Samsung Android phone. I've been considering renewing my subscription to Audi Connect but question the value. All my wife really wants is the wifi, but of course, Audi doesn't offer that without the Audi Connect subscription.
Yes, you can view the Waze map on the main center screen and it’s contollable using the main round center console ****. It adjusts in size according to the cars’s speed and it orientatable north which is as I personally prefer. You can make a lot of selections on what you want to see or not see on the Waze app on the iPhone, then once you plug the phone in with the connection cable it takes the map with your settings and puts it on screen once you select Waze from the CarPlay main control screen.

I changed my phone data plan to an unlimited everything plan when I started using CarPlay. It’s functioned very well for me and the music streaming capabilities are great. I mainly use Pandora, although there are several other apps available, and have a number of different music genre channels set up on the app. They all come up on the center screen and you can change and make selections using the control ****. The music quality is great and IMO makes Sirius radio obsolete.

As to WiFi, I use my phones private hotspot. I haven’t had the need to use it all that much so far, but it seems to work well and has reasonable speed.
Old 12-28-2018, 04:55 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by cdieter
Yes, iOS 12 on iPhones allow third party maps apps to support CarPlay, which means you can “project” Waze and google maps on to the A4 display.
Old 12-28-2018, 08:56 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thank you for the detailed response. When I took delivery of the A4 in early 2017, I was told I couldn't use Waze, so I was pleased to learn that I can. I played around with it today and got it to work on my Android phone. I am thrilled. Thanks again!
Old 12-30-2018, 01:54 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 30 Likes on 14 Posts

I like to use Waze on the center screen simultaneously with Audi nav on the dash. Waze does seem like the superior app for routing, but traffic data is much easier to see on the dash screen. As previously posted, other benefits of Waze include notifications of police, etc., and a warning when exceeding a designated speed over the limit.