A4 (B9 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B9 Audi A4 2017-

Limp mode

Search this Thread

Old 07-19-2018, 05:42 PM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Limp mode

Hi All,

Had a fun issue happen today. Went to go stand on it merging onto the highway and heard a nice pop and now it wont go into boost, at all. I get a Drive System Malfunction and a speed control unit malfunction that turns off the cruise control. I have had a racechip installed in it for the last year and a half or so and removed it right after it happened. It is still in limp mode and its starting to worry me.

Any one had any issues with it and is the racechip going to cause a td1? I am going to let it sit overnight but i have driven it around the block to see if the ECU will clear itself and it hasnt...
Old 07-19-2018, 06:40 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 79 Likes on 55 Posts

If you heard a pop you probably blew something. I would try to borrow a VAGCOM and scan for codes, if you don't have one then you'll need to take it into a shop or the dealer to get it scanned.

And yes, if dealership detects or suspects that a car has been tuned or modified, they will almost certainly TD1 your car. Piggyback tunes are harder to detect but it's always a possibility and if you have other mods or a bunch of Racechip stickers on your car then it could prompt them to look harder / scan the ECU for parameters that seem abnormal and that are consistent with running an external tune. That is always the risk you take when you tune a car that is under warranty.

And if it turns out you blew a turbo while running a tune, and then mislead the dealer into replacing it under warranty by hiding a tune that would otherwise disqualify it, then FYI that that is technically criminal fraud.

Last edited by mplsbrian; 07-19-2018 at 06:42 PM.
Old 07-20-2018, 11:12 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by mplsbrian
And if it turns out you blew a turbo while running a tune, and then mislead the dealer into replacing it under warranty by hiding a tune that would otherwise disqualify it, then FYI that that is technically criminal fraud.
That is not criminal fraud, it happens all the time. Most people remove their piggybacks/tunes prior to getting their cars serviced. If the dealership finds an issue that could be related to the piggyback/tune and fixes it under warranty, would you also consider that criminal fraud?

Bring the car to the dealership, don't admit you had a chip. If they find evidence and flag your car, you're SOL. If they don't see anything that would make them deny the claim, then they'll fix it and don't worry about it.
Old 07-20-2018, 02:20 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Originally Posted by Pineapplepickles
If the dealership finds an issue that could be related to the piggyback/tune and fixes it under warranty, would you also consider that criminal fraud?
yes, I believe that if a set of curious and probably very uncommon set of circumstances did lead to you sitting in a courtroom defending against Audi’s accusations that you knowingly, via a lie by conscious omission, defrauded them of $xx,xxx worth of parts and services in connection to a repair that you knew should not be covered by Audi’s Limited New Vehicle Warranty, but that you sought to have covered by said warranty, that a judge would indeed find you guilty of fraud...

Bring the car to the dealership, don't admit you had a chip. If they find evidence and flag your car, you're SOL. If they don't see anything that would make them deny the claim, then they'll fix it and don't worry about it.
...especially if someone pulled up this thread and showed it to a judge and alongside evidence connecting OP’s username to you, the defendent.

I’m not advocating for any particular course of actions but that is a possibility OP should acknowledge. How common this is who knows, but from a legal perspective this is no different than falsifying an insurance claim. The penalties if caught are severe.
Old 07-23-2018, 05:59 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Looks like it was a intake air temp sensor and a lower boost hose that was disconnected. All of it was covered under warranty and per audi, there is a known issue with the sensor.
Old 07-23-2018, 06:18 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Good result, thanks for the update. Any chance you have a TSB # for the sensor issue?