A4 (B9 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B9 Audi A4 2017-

Love Hate Relationship

Search this Thread

Old 05-19-2017, 05:58 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Love Hate Relationship

There are tons of things I love about my 2017 A4 Prestige, but the few annoyances are really starting to get to me. They are all minor (well mostly) but I encounter some of them every day.

At the top of my list is the damn seatbelt chime. I don't mind that it chimes, but it is too damn loud and piercing. Since I will start the car and then put on my seatbelt I get to hear this multiple times a day. My dealer says there is no way to reduce the volume.

Second on my list is an unreliable HomeLink garage door opener. My 2012 A4 never has a problem. My 2007 A6 never had a problem. I have to carry an extra remote in the 2017 A4 to close the door about 30% of the time. Audi says "no faults".

Third on my list is the backup sensor. If I am backing out of a driveway and there is a car coming on the other side of the road it shrieks and hits the ABS vibrator (at least that is what I think it is doing.)

More seriously (but not a hate, just a real problem) is that once Pre Sense alarmed and set the brakes for a fraction of a second when I was traveling at about 30mph on a road with no one else around. Audi has noted that the problem happened (and apparently they have gotten other reports) but no fixes.

Of course I am not listing the 100s of things I love about the car. But I'm wondering if any of you have similar dislikes?

Chuck
Old 05-19-2017, 06:04 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by weinstoc
There are tons of things I love about my 2017 A4 Prestige, but the few annoyances are really starting to get to me. They are all minor (well mostly) but I encounter some of them every day.

At the top of my list is the damn seatbelt chime. I don't mind that it chimes, but it is too damn loud and piercing. Since I will start the car and then put on my seatbelt I get to hear this multiple times a day. My dealer says there is no way to reduce the volume.

Second on my list is an unreliable HomeLink garage door opener. My 2012 A4 never has a problem. My 2007 A6 never had a problem. I have to carry an extra remote in the 2017 A4 to close the door about 30% of the time. Audi says "no faults".

Third on my list is the backup sensor. If I am backing out of a driveway and there is a car coming on the other side of the road it shrieks and hits the ABS vibrator (at least that is what I think it is doing.)

More seriously (but not a hate, just a real problem) is that once Pre Sense alarmed and set the brakes for a fraction of a second when I was traveling at about 30mph on a road with no one else around. Audi has noted that the problem happened (and apparently they have gotten other reports) but no fixes.

Of course I am not listing the 100s of things I love about the car. But I'm wondering if any of you have similar dislikes?

Chuck
Seatbelt chime is hella loud -- for safety reasons I suppose -- but since I know it's coming I put my belt on first and otherwise deal with it if I don't.

Have had no issues with Pre Sense, the back up sensors, or HomeLink, but my biggest gripe is with the Stop / Start system -- I hate it. I bought a device from Kufatec to permanently disable it -- it arrived from Germany in 3 days but I won't be deploying it until this weekend. My is a March 2017 build, if it matters.
Old 05-19-2017, 06:42 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

you can disable the seatbelt chime with a VAGCOM or OBDeleven
Old 05-19-2017, 06:54 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 27 Likes on 25 Posts

Originally Posted by weinstoc

Chuck
I honestly have never even noticed that the seat belt chime is "too loud". It chimes, but all you need to do is put the seatbelt on first. But it doesn't seem that loud to me.

Home link was difficult to setup but once setup I have never had a problem with it.

The backup sensor does go off if a car is coming down the road but I think it is supposed to do that. That's how it tells you a car is coming. I've never had it hit an abs vibrator or anything else.

I remember reading someone else here saying that pretense had gone off when it should not have. I have not had that happen. You could turn presense off.
Old 05-19-2017, 06:55 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

My wife's 2016 Q3 had garage door reception issues with homelink. I fixed it by splicing some extra wire (a good 16") to the end of the garage door receiver's antenna.

Works like a charm now.

My S5's homelink doesn't have an issue.
Old 05-19-2017, 07:36 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I'm with you about the seat belt chime, very loud and annoying but isn't it doing what its suppose to be doing. You're going to have to change your habit and put the belt on before you turn on the car or lose some hearing :P My issue with the belt chime is the weight sensitivity of the passenger seat. Sometime when my iPad is sitting in the passenger seat the car will detect it as enough weight that it thinks it's a person and I'll get that seat belt chime.

I've never had an issue with Homelink. Could be your garage system or your car?!?

You can turn pre-sense off as well as change the sensitivity of pre-sense.

I love my car more than I hate it that's for sure. I love this thing 100x more than I did my 2012 A4. What annoys me the most is other drivers and people parking next to me. Already have a door ding which I had to use touch up paint to fix it.
Old 05-19-2017, 07:52 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

The thing that drives me most nuts about my Prestige A4 is how bad the navigation routing is. Every time I leave work to go home I get a pop up saying that my route has like a half hour delay, but you'd have to be nuts to go that route anyway. Then I recalculate and pick a more reasonable (but still not as Google) route.

It also seems to be unwilling to take back roads even when it makes more sense. This morning the navigation REALLY wanted me to do a U turn to get back on the highway and get stuck in the traffic it was showing on that highway instead of continuing on the back road I was on which was a much more direct, faster, and no traffic route.
Old 05-19-2017, 08:02 AM
AudiWorld Member

I've had my 2017 Prestige with DAP since last July. Definitely much much more of a love than hate. Probably my biggest pet peeve is the Driver Assistance "ding" telling me to put my hands back on the wheel. Down here in South Florida the majority of the roads are dead straight for long stretches. (It's not called "The Bee Line Highway" for nothing.). Even though I have my hands on the wheel, I get dinged because I haven't made any steering inputs. I almost need to wander around the lane on purpose. I wish it had some kind of touch sensor on the wheel to know my hands were on it. Or register a steering wheel volume adjustment or radio station change as an input.
Old 05-19-2017, 08:22 AM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by Cornell92
Probably my biggest pet peeve is the Driver Assistance "ding" telling me to put my hands back on the wheel.
Yeah that happens to me up here in NY/CT and it's very disturbing (that tone is probably designed to jar you a little). It's saying "you need to take over driving" when your reaction is "I thought I was."
Old 05-19-2017, 10:18 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Yeah, the seatbelt chime is obnoxious. I turned mine off via OBDeleven. Massive quality of life improvement for less than $100, and that bought lots of other nice tweaks as well.

Quick Reply: Love Hate Relationship