A4 (B9 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B9 Audi A4 2017-

Low speed vibration

Search this Thread

Old 12-06-2016, 09:21 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts

Ahh, I get that too once in awhile. Normally I'm a little on the aggressive side and calculating my next move to pass the lollygaggers so my trans isn't in overdrive mode for the speed I'm at. If I chill then I feel a little rumble when the trans shifts to the highest gear. I does feel like it's lugging a bit. On the other hand it does feel like you are getting the absolute best mpg's that the car can achieve when you feel that.
Old 12-06-2016, 04:00 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by WetinOregon
I've had my A4 for a little over a month now and have noticed a vibration at around 28-32 mph. It typically occurs in the morning when the car is cold, but I can feel it coming on as I accelerate through to 40 mph or so on my way to work. It feels like there is a roughening of the axles or transmission. The vibration disappears at around 32-34 mph.

Is this normal for Audis before they warm up? I've spent the last decade or so in Acuras, so this sensation is new to me.

Thanks.
i didn't notice the vibration you are talking about but what I did notice is that there is a slight vibration when I start the car and also when not in gear. Not sure if it's happening to all
other cars or not.
Old 12-06-2016, 05:32 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

You guys who notice that vibration, do you have the stock audi rims/tires?
Because I got the 18" with pirelli cinturato p7's with my deal, I have called for a service right first week and my car is scheduled for review with "the aftermarket brand" Dec.8th. (the warranty claim is not going towards audi but towards the 3rd party pirelli)
My dealer service is giving me a loaner until they clear the warranty complain "the center rib - in the middle of the width of the tire - have hard spots".
Since, I've put some 7-800 km into the car (running currently about 1400 Km), I can still feel the vibration when I am slooowly accelerating about 42-50 Km/h (and again somewhere around 105), but only when Im looking for it because - I am afraid I am getting used to it.
Anyway I don't want to leave it there.
The other thing I let the service investigate, whenever I am backing upward into my garage with a slow pedal, there is some sound coming from below...maybe from transmission but some people believe this may be the ABS playing with revers?
So, in two days the service gets my car for couple days to come up with a good story.

Last edited by bigHUN; 12-06-2016 at 05:35 PM.
Old 12-06-2016, 08:58 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 44 Likes on 41 Posts

Originally Posted by Jrichie0003@gmail.com
i didn't notice the vibration you are talking about but what I did notice is that there is a slight vibration when I start the car and also when not in gear. Not sure if it's happening to all
other cars or not.
Yup. That happens too. You can feel it more during cold starts. Though I haven't noticed that in the 3.0tfsi.
I guess I'm immune to all these vibrations since I drove diesel cars extensively for 5 years and those things vibrated like there was no tomorrow, compared to refined petrol engines. But yes. I do miss the torque of them diesel engines.

Last edited by VipinLJ; 12-25-2016 at 06:45 PM.
Old 06-19-2018, 06:14 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 49 Likes on 35 Posts

Sorry to revive an old thread, but any of you have manual transmissions that experience these vibrations? I have a manual and have the vibrations in 3 through 6 gear when the car passes the 1900-2200 rpm... after the 2200 rpm it smoothes out. Feels just like the OP described - like the axle or something - feels like a small judder. The car has 7,700 miles (it’s a 2018 p+ with 18 inch black optics wheels). Makes me a little uneasy thinking that it could be something big that’s wrong.
I also had the high speed vibrations but then replaced the stock pirellis to Michelin Pilot Sport A/S 3+. Although I still have some vibrations at high speeds, it’s not as bad as with Pirellis. I noticed the low profile tires are rather hard to balance, so I may just need to visit the tire shop a few more times for road force balancing to perfection