A4 (B9 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B9 Audi A4 2017-

Lowering Springs

Search this Thread

Old 02-15-2017, 03:51 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 44 Likes on 41 Posts

Originally Posted by scoutmasterdave
Anybody know what the deal is with the H&R Street Performance Coilover setup being restricted to build dates earlier than 7/11/2016? My A4 (PP sport quattro) has a Oct 2016 build date, so I'm curious to know what changed in July 2016, and if these will fit my car.

(Source: H&R website)
There was a post on one of the forums where someone bought coilovers and tried installing it in his B9 and they found out that some diameter was different. I can't find that post now and I don't remember which forum he put it up on. Audi supposedly made some change.
I'm not a very technical person so I don't remember what diameter he was talking about. I'm guessing strut or the part where it fits onto the chassis or something.
Old 02-18-2017, 04:19 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 13 Likes on 8 Posts
Default Reference

Yesterday I took the car for a second alignment after installing the Eibach Lowering Springs 3 weeks ago for the A4 FWD the attached sheet shows how was before, how is now, and what are the specs by the manufacturer.

Alignment was done as similar as possible to specs.

Also they performed ESP reset.

Car drives straight, steering wheel is straight, and feeling of the suspension is softer, before this 2nd alignment left rear toe was at 0.96" and overall ride was a little rough when going over bumps. Now it is great!

Old 02-18-2017, 04:51 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 102 Likes on 86 Posts

Originally Posted by salvadorsantana
and feeling of the suspension is softer, before this 2nd alignment left rear toe was at 0.96" and overall ride was a little rough when going over bumps.
You mentioned above that suspension is softer however a little rough when going over bumper. Is that a typo? Aren't the sports springs supposed to be stiffer?
I test drove the A4 with sports package. While it's tighter and flat at turns, I did feel it's more rough on pavement.
Old 02-18-2017, 05:00 AM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by minmet
You mentioned above that suspension is softer however a little rough when going over bumper. Is that a typo? Aren't the sports springs supposed to be stiffer?
I test drove the A4 with sports package. While it's tighter and flat at turns, I did feel it's more rough on pavement.
What I meant to say is that is softer (comfortable) and that before the 2nd alignment the ride was a little rough specially when going over bumpers or pot holes. In theory they are stiffer but not a whole lot.

Did the Sport Package that you tested had the 19" wheels? That also contributes to feeling more the pavement, when I got my P+ it came with the 18" wheels, when I changed the suspension I also installed the OEM 19" wheels. Bigger wheel + less tire profile= a little rough than the 18's.
Old 02-18-2017, 01:34 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 102 Likes on 86 Posts

I wasn't paying too much attention so can't be 100% sure. I think it's 18" as I remember the price was just PP with tech, cold and sp.
Old 02-18-2017, 06:07 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

SoI ordered my car with the Audi adaptive damping suspension. I am new tomessing around in general with cars and had a quick question asto how I can get my car lower while not messing up the ADS. CanI just swap out and add new springs to lower the gap?. Is thispointless and will this take away for the ADS? I hope you all say I can justswap out springs and didn't waste my money on the ADS.
Old 02-18-2017, 09:08 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Originally Posted by SEDavio
SoI ordered my car with the Audi adaptive damping suspension. I am new tomessing around in general with cars and had a quick question asto how I can get my car lower while not messing up the ADS. CanI just swap out and add new springs to lower the gap?. Is thispointless and will this take away for the ADS? I hope you all say I can justswap out springs and didn't waste my money on the ADS.
You can swap it out. No problem. But why would you want to swap it out? In my view, only non-sport A4s look like they are on stilts. The ones with adaptive/sport suspension look low enough. If my car had either, I wouldn't have even considered lowering springs. I want lowering springs only to get rid of the HUGE wheel gap.
Old 02-19-2017, 04:55 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by VipinLJ
You can swap it out. No problem. But why would you want to swap it out? In my view, only non-sport A4s look like they are on stilts. The ones with adaptive/sport suspension look low enough. If my car had either, I wouldn't have even considered lowering springs. I want lowering springs only to get rid of the HUGE wheel gap.
ok thanks for your opinion! I don't actually have the car yet but I keep hearing horror stories of the gap terror and I figured it might still be bad since the ADS is higher that the sport suspension. Glad to know that's not always the case!! Can't wait till I see my Daytona Grey A4 when it finally arrives
Old 02-19-2017, 05:44 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Originally Posted by SEDavio
ok thanks for your opinion! I don't actually have the car yet but I keep hearing horror stories of the gap terror and I figured it might still be bad since the ADS is higher that the sport suspension. Glad to know that's not always the case!! Can't wait till I see my Daytona Grey A4 when it finally arrives
Then I suggest you wait the gap is horrible only in the non-sport version. The others are acceptable. But again, it depends from person to person. I find it acceptable. You might not.
Old 02-19-2017, 02:01 PM
AudiWorld Member

Default Final Product

So, this is the very final product after 3 weeks in. Springs have settled and alignment have been done. Eibach Lowerings Springs for A4 FWD 1.2" drop front & rear.

Quick Reply: Lowering Springs