A4 (B9 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B9 Audi A4 2017-

Magnetic Phone Holder - my perfect solution

Search this Thread

Old 04-10-2017, 03:10 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 46 Likes on 33 Posts
Default Magnetic Phone Holder - my perfect solution

Skip down to pics if you don't want to read.

So about a week or so ago I tried to figure out how best install a magnetic vent phone holder in the car down near the MMI control area as when I get in the car I usually throw my phone in the cup holder, but wanted something a bit nicer and that I didn't have to reach for if I wanted access to (I'm a tall guy so my seat is pretty far back so I'd have to reach a bit to grab at my phone.

The vent would have been an ok area but a bit concerned about vent braking (though as I've found out, they're very well built so they wont) but I just didn't like the phone up there.

I didn't want anything mounted up near the screen either cause I didn't want to ruin the look and I don't ever really use my phone on daily drives. I check the traffic when I leave for home/work and pick 1 of 3 routes, and that's that. If someone calls, bluetooth. I only use Android Auto when doing longer drives.

OK

SO

After going through a couple of those magnetic ball phone holder options (
something like this something like this
), neither worked because I mount the phone towards the bottom and the magnet didn't keep my phone right side up.

So I took a last shot at this So I took a last shot at this
:

It's fantastic. It's exactly what I wanted. Keeps phone secure. Great glue. Well constructed - I was able to screw down that plastic holder really hard, and no issues (I was surprised).

Old 04-10-2017, 04:37 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 49 Likes on 34 Posts

Originally Posted by munsabin
Skip down to pics if you don't want to read.

So about a week or so ago I tried to figure out how best install a magnetic vent phone holder in the car down near the MMI control area as when I get in the car I usually throw my phone in the cup holder, but wanted something a bit nicer and that I didn't have to reach for if I wanted access to (I'm a tall guy so my seat is pretty far back so I'd have to reach a bit to grab at my phone.

The vent would have been an ok area but a bit concerned about vent braking (though as I've found out, they're very well built so they wont) but I just didn't like the phone up there.

I didn't want anything mounted up near the screen either cause I didn't want to ruin the look and I don't ever really use my phone on daily drives. I check the traffic when I leave for home/work and pick 1 of 3 routes, and that's that. If someone calls, bluetooth. I only use Android Auto when doing longer drives.

OK

SO

After going through a couple of those magnetic ball phone holder options (something like this), neither worked because I mount the phone towards the bottom and the magnet didn't keep my phone right side up.

So I took a last shot at this:

It's fantastic. It's exactly what I wanted. Keeps phone secure. Great glue. Well constructed - I was able to screw down that plastic holder really hard, and no issues (I was surprised).

Well done, good idea.Out of harm's way and looks much then grill mounted.And besides, Audi already has one huge inelegant MMI glued on the dash, no need for another one.

Last edited by bob m; 04-10-2017 at 04:39 PM.
Old 04-10-2017, 10:55 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 30 Likes on 14 Posts

Nice. You mentioned glue. Do you think you could remove it if necessary without damaging the console?
Old 04-11-2017, 01:51 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

This...

and this...

Are what I used.
iOauto Pro
Audi A4 2016-2018 ProClip Console Mount - ProClip USA
Old 04-11-2017, 05:09 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Originally Posted by KevinB656
Nice. You mentioned glue. Do you think you could remove it if necessary without damaging the console?
3M double sided tape. Apply heat and take off with dental floss. Never had issues. Doesn't leave residue. I've used teh same type of application for go-pro mounts with sturdier tape on fluorescent helmets and never had anything show after I removed them.
Old 04-11-2017, 07:04 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

If it's an iphone 6+ or 7+, you can literally wedge the phone between the front rim of the cup holder lip, and the under side of the AC controls. And it's free.
Old 04-11-2017, 10:28 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 13 Likes on 9 Posts

I've got a mount in the same spot. But I went with this one, has chrome and gloss black and I feel goes a bit better with the interior: Universal Mobile Cell Phone GPS Magnetic Car Dash Mount Holder For iPhone 6 Plus | eBay

Last edited by Kenneth Peter Delgado; 04-11-2017 at 10:54 AM.
Old 04-11-2017, 10:47 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Originally Posted by Kenneth Peter Delgado
I've got a mount in the same spot. But I went with this one, has chrome and gloss black and I feel goes a bit better with the interior: Universal Mobile Cell Phone GPS Magnetic Car Dash Mount Holder For iPhone 6 Plus | eBay
That links sends us to a general search page btw. I would be interested in seeing the product you're talking about exactly though. Tx
Old 04-11-2017, 10:58 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 13 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by munsabin
That links sends us to a general search page btw. I would be interested in seeing the product you're talking about exactly though. Tx

I'll get an actual photo up later today but it is the "Baseus" mount on ebay for $10 or less. I went through a couple mounts and ended up with this one. Some things to look out for if you are going to mount it in this area is that the base of the mount be rectangular and not circular. there is a slight curvature to the center trim and the circular base will not sit flush so you'll want a rectangular base and have it set vertically running parallel to the aluminum trim.

1 thing about the baseus mount is that the neck is not very long, so an iphone 7 plus sits slightly slanted when vertically mounted because it is so big. I suppose you could fix this by placing the phone metal plate (not the mount) lower towards the bottom of the phone but then its not symmetrical and will drive me crazy. The iphone 7 fits perfectly.

Last edited by Kenneth Peter Delgado; 04-11-2017 at 11:02 AM.
Old 04-11-2017, 12:58 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Originally Posted by clone1008
I had actually asked my dealer about that and he pointed it out. I'm pretty OCD about my stuff being neat and minimal though and to me that just adds a whole bunch of bulk, not to mention pretty hefty prices compared to a $10 or $15 mount.

Originally Posted by Kenneth Peter Delgado
I'll get an actual photo up later today but it is the "Baseus" mount on ebay for $10 or less. I went through a couple mounts and ended up with this one. Some things to look out for if you are going to mount it in this area is that the base of the mount be rectangular and not circular. there is a slight curvature to the center trim and the circular base will not sit flush so you'll want a rectangular base and have it set vertically running parallel to the aluminum trim.

1 thing about the baseus mount is that the neck is not very long, so an iphone 7 plus sits slightly slanted when vertically mounted because it is so big. I suppose you could fix this by placing the phone metal plate (not the mount) lower towards the bottom of the phone but then its not symmetrical and will drive me crazy. The iphone 7 fits perfectly.
Yeah, the big thing with me was having a mount with no swivel attached to the back of the phone, so I know that when I place my phone to the stand, it sits how I want it to. The reason I was picky, I attach the phone right near the bottom, so it becomes top heavy. I tried a few mounts and anything with a swivel at the back of the phone just wouldn't keep the phone upright over bumps or higher speed turns. The one I got I know I won't have an issue with, since the swivel is on the base, and can squeeze the living juices out of it.

Good point about the rectangular base, and yeah I noticed the slight curvature as well. Ended up mounting the plate and holding it down for like 4 minutes on the sides to make sure it catches as much as possible. So far no issues.

Quick Reply: Magnetic Phone Holder - my perfect solution