A4 (B9 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B9 Audi A4 2017-

Microscratch Repair

Search this Thread

Old 10-19-2017, 07:59 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Microscratch Repair

I have noticed that our paint is very fragile. On delivery I noticed there were some swirl marks already (from the dealership) on a NEW car. I told them not to "detail" the car through their drive thru car wash but alas, what can we do.
Anyways, I have only done touchless washes and I always wash the car myself but there are some micro scratches on the driver side door that I would like to remove.

Any quick remedies? They are small micro scratches that you can't feel, but you can see. I have black paint, which makes it really noticeable anytime I go to open my door.
Normally I wouldn't be so bothered.. but it's on my door right above the handle and I see it all the time!

I have used Quixx before but not sure how well it works on our paint. Any suggestions?
Old 10-20-2017, 10:00 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 15 Likes on 11 Posts

Look for a product at your local auto parts store that specifies it is for fine scratches or swirl marks. I used 3M Scratch Remover on my old black car successfully by hand. Meguiar's ScratchX looks like it may help.
Old 10-20-2017, 05:47 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

I would start with the least abrasive polishing product first, applying it to a small area and then evaluate if removes the swirls. With Maguire’s consumer line products, I would start with Ultimate Polish first, applying it with a foam pad and then removing the haze with a good quality microfiber towel. If it works, great. Wax or seal the finish and your done.

If not, move up an abrasive notch to Maguire’s Ultimate Compond. The compond should do it, then follow up with the Ultimate Polish, then the wax or sealant step.

If the Ultimate Compond does not remove the swirls, the finish probably needs a session with a quality electric dual action polisher and foam polishing pads using Maguire’s 205 or, if needed, 105. I would not recommend doing this yourself if you are unfamiliar with the process.

I’ve used both the Maguire’s Ultimate Polish and Ultimate Compound with outstanding results on my Manhattan Grey B9. Of course, you’re mileage may vary.

The dark finishes show a lot more swirls and blemishes then the lighter colors. The white and the silver cars have the same swirls, it’s just much harder to see them with those paint colors.

And also, if you want to keep your car swirl and hologram free, just say no to commercial car washes.

Last edited by Dave W; 10-20-2017 at 06:14 PM.
Old 10-21-2017, 03:10 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by xjjon
I have noticed that our paint is very fragile. On delivery I noticed there were some swirl marks already (from the dealership) on a NEW car. I told them not to "detail" the car through their drive thru car wash but alas, what can we do.
Anyways, I have only done touchless washes and I always wash the car myself but there are some micro scratches on the driver side door that I would like to remove.

Any quick remedies? They are small micro scratches that you can't feel, but you can see. I have black paint, which makes it really noticeable anytime I go to open my door.
Normally I wouldn't be so bothered.. but it's on my door right above the handle and I see it all the time!

I have used Quixx before but not sure how well it works on our paint. Any suggestions?
Have the car professionally detailed and protected with ceramic coating and never ever let the dealership get anywhere near it..