A4 (B9 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B9 Audi A4 2017-

MMI flickering issue

Search this Thread

Old 09-23-2020, 05:50 PM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default MMI flickering issue

I own a 2017 A4 Prestige with the virtual cockpit and large MMI screen. I have about 49,000 miles on the vehicle. It was purchased as a CPO and still has an additional year on the warranty. For the past year I have experienced a somewhat constant flickering/blinking issue on my MMI screen. There seems to be no rhyme or reason as to when it flickers, but it can be off and on over the course of my 1-hour commute to work. It happens every day, and is more constant in the early mornings around 7 a.m. and later evenings around dusk.

I've had my vehicle checked out twice by an Audi dealer and both times they have updated the MMI system. This has not fixed the problem. I will go in for a service check next week and I am going to have them look at the MMI flickering issue once again.

Has anyone else had this problem? What could be causing it? Can I demand a replacement of the MMI electronics before my warranty ends? Thanks in advance; I've enjoyed this community in the two years of ownership of my vehicle.
Old 10-15-2020, 06:36 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 134 Likes on 107 Posts

What mmi version do you have on your car?
Old 11-17-2020, 12:55 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Just curious if you ever get this issue assessed or diagnosed? I recently purchased a CPO 2019 A6 and my lower MMI flickers every morning if the temp is below 60 deg. Something is wrong and I need to take it in but just trying to gather information prior. I've had the vehicle about 3 months. Disappointed in the CPO with that issue.
Old 11-18-2020, 06:20 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

Is it just the MMI that flickers? Does the accent lighting flicker as well? Might be due to the brightness setting being too low. I was going nuts in my 2017 watching the MMI flicker and then noticed the accent lighting also flickered. I turned up the brightness...mine was prettymuch bottomed out intentionally because I don't like a bunch of bright lights and screens in my face while I drive. I turned them up a notch or two and that resolved the issue. I think they still "flicker" but it's not really perceptable unless you're looking for it. It seems like voltage changes in the car based upon whatever is on and off as the various computers/controllers do their things in the car and cause dips and surges in available voltage. Going from dim to "off" is a noticable flicker, but when they go from low light to dim it harder to notice.
The following users liked this post:
Dan DiCola (11-21-2020)
Old 11-21-2020, 09:31 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

After taking my vehicle in, they determined that I had the brightness **** too low. However, when I do turn the **** up a little bit, it's awfully bright at night. This mostly settled the issue. The flickering was the auto brightness coming up or down based on driving at dawn or dusk, especially when traveling under trees that created dark shadows. I'm still kind of disappointed with how slow the auto brightness is--they also updated the MMI, which said to help with this issue, but I'm not sure. When I drove the newer A4s (2018 and later), I did not have this issue at all.

Overall, turning up the brightness fixed the issue enough that it shouldn't bother me anymore. Awesome car otherwise.