A4 (B9 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B9 Audi A4 2017-

Nav - you read turns bottom to top?!?

Search this Thread

Old 10-20-2017, 09:34 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

rsilvers129, I'm with you. It had me confused the first couple of times I used the nav. I expected it to go top to bottom, as you did. I'm used to it now. I like how it has three turns in advance instead of the usual one or two, but it was confusing a bit at the beginning.
Old 10-23-2017, 01:50 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Jeremy Clarkson said he would not buy an Audi because he could not understand the sat nav system. I bet you he also could not figure out that the list is read from bottom to top.

https://www.thetimes.co.uk/article/t...88b740b4c1d0a8
Old 10-23-2017, 02:24 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 491 Likes on 335 Posts

Originally Posted by rsilvers129
Normal way to read things is top to bottom, even in perspective.

Looking at a lot of your recent posts, I'm not sure whether you really dislike the cars, like to complain a lot, are stirring the pot, or just like a bit of a chat?? Also, for someone who joined in 2014 and with over a thousand posts, you raise issues which suggest you have never been in an Audi before?? The Audi MMI navigation system has always been done this way.

The Star Wars text scrolls from top to bottom. The MMI map scrolls from bottom to top (unless you drive everywhere in reverse), as Superswiss made rather obvious. Are you having a senior moment, or a bit of a laugh?
Old 10-23-2017, 02:35 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 1,065 Likes on 740 Posts

Oh Jeremy Clarkson, always entertaining to watch or read his stories . I do have to say, though, that I think the latest MMI has gone at least one step back in ease of use and it's not the route information list. I've done a few thousand miles now in Audis with the VC and the new MMI and I still find the old system in my RS5 with the four dedicated corner function buttons and direct access to the car menu easier to navigate then the new system with only two function buttons where I never know which option/function is accessible through the left or right menu.
Old 10-23-2017, 02:51 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Originally Posted by Glisse
Looking at a lot of your recent posts, I'm not sure whether you really dislike the cars, like to complain a lot, are stirring the pot, or just like a bit of a chat?? Also, for someone who joined in 2014 and with over a thousand posts, you raise issues which suggest you have never been in an Audi before?? The Audi MMI navigation system has always been done this way.
I think the fact that Jeremy said he would never buy an Audi because of the Nav is at least some evidence that I had a point that it was non-intuitive. They could have numbered the turns and then it would be obvious that the order was from bottom to top.

I have no other issues with the Nav except it would be nice if it could get traffic data from my phone network rather than have to subscribe to Audi Connect.

Last edited by rsilvers129; 10-23-2017 at 04:02 PM.
Old 10-23-2017, 03:00 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 1,065 Likes on 740 Posts

Jeremy said nothing at all about the order of this list. It's pure conjecture. Not to mention that he loves the TT RS, but then rants about the RS 3 for reasons that are not specific to the RS 3. They both have the same engine, same transmission, same exhaust, same Nav, except the TT RS has to make due with only one display, etc. It's all a typical Clarkson drivel.
Old 10-23-2017, 03:08 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

He didn't give specifics about how the Nav could be improved. He said:

"But worse is the sat nav system. Even when you’re used to it — and I am — it’s a fiddle to use. You have to take two steps backwards all the time to move one step forwards. It needs to be simplified."
Old 10-23-2017, 04:56 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 30 Likes on 14 Posts

Yes, instructions shown in direction of travel. I never had an issue with it.
Old 10-23-2017, 05:51 PM
vgt
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

It's certainly not intuitive the first time you get in an Audi, but after a trip or two, ya know. Not that big a deal.
Old 10-25-2017, 08:37 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 10 Likes on 4 Posts

If you have the nav map set to "course up" (not north up) then you are traveling "up the screen" so the turns listed from bottom up are synonymous with approaching street signs if you think of each turn as a sign in the road and you are approaching them along your travel.

Quick Reply: Nav - you read turns bottom to top?!?