A4 (B9 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B9 Audi A4 2017-

Navigation problems using Carplay

Search this Thread

Old 03-31-2017, 06:16 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Navigation problems using Carplay

I have an issue with my 2017 Audi A4 Prestige when using Carplay. Both the Apple Maps app (on car's screen) and the Waze app (on the phone screen) will show the car miles/minutes behind the actual vehicle location. The issue only happens when Carplay is engaged. If I disable Carplay in the car's settings, both the Apple Maps and Waze apps will show the correct GPS location on the phone itself. It's as if Carplay is doing something to delay the reported GPS location. I'm currently using iOS 10.2.1. Since the car is brand new, I don't know if the issue would have occurred with previous iOS versions.
Old 03-31-2017, 06:41 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by mayerkelly
I have an issue with my 2017 Audi A4 Prestige when using Carplay. Both the Apple Maps app (on car's screen) and the Waze app (on the phone screen) will show the car miles/minutes behind the actual vehicle location. The issue only happens when Carplay is engaged. If I disable Carplay in the car's settings, both the Apple Maps and Waze apps will show the correct GPS location on the phone itself. It's as if Carplay is doing something to delay the reported GPS location. I'm currently using iOS 10.2.1. Since the car is brand new, I don't know if the issue would have occurred with previous iOS versions.
ios 10.3 is released. Maybe update and check
Old 03-31-2017, 11:02 AM
AudiWorld Member

I do not have this problem - I use maps extensively on carplay and it always displays GPS position real time....

if I do use Waze, i unplug carplay but thats just because it doesn't work with carplay
Old 03-31-2017, 11:15 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 1,065 Likes on 740 Posts

My understanding of how CarPlay works is that when the phone is connected to CarPlay, it uses the GPS signal from the car instead of using its own GPS receiver, so there might be something malfunctioning with your car's GPS receiver.

Does your car have built-in nav as well? If so, does it show you in the correct position?
Old 04-03-2017, 08:05 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Originally Posted by samsj
ios 10.3 is released. Maybe update and check
As suggested, I updated to 10.3 and have used it now for a few days. So far, so good. The issue has not occurred under 10.3.

Thanks for the suggestion.
Old 04-10-2017, 05:29 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Originally Posted by superswiss
My understanding of how CarPlay works is that when the phone is connected to CarPlay, it uses the GPS signal from the car instead of using its own GPS receiver, so there might be something malfunctioning with your car's GPS receiver.

Does your car have built-in nav as well? If so, does it show you in the correct position?
Thanks. My 2017 A4 does have built-in nav as well, but it always shows the correct position. In fact, I sometimes use the car's GPS position to confirm that the Carplay Maps and Waze position is wrong.
Old 04-10-2017, 05:33 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Unfortunately, the problem has started to recur under iOS 10.3.1. It doesn't happen all the time, but when the GPS position is wrong, the only way to get the correct position is to temporarily disable Carplay in Connection Manager. The GPS position on the built-in navigation system is always correct, so I don't understand why Carplay sometimes loses the correct position.
Old 08-13-2017, 10:29 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

I have the same issue. Audi A4 Presitige 2017 using iPhone 7 with iOS 10.3.3 and the GPS location gets stuck at a prior location during navigation. The only way to resolved is the unplug the phone and reconnect to the car. The location will update when CarPlay restarts. It’s pretty frustrating. I have not tested with the iOS 11 public beta yet. I plan on moving to the next public beta and will report back here after I test.
Old 10-05-2017, 09:47 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Do you still have this issue with iOS 11? I have not yet upgraded but still have the issue with iOS 10.3.3. Very frustrating and I'm not sure who can address the issue (Audi or Apple). Thanks.
Old 10-05-2017, 10:39 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by mayerkelly
Do you still have this issue with iOS 11? I have not yet upgraded but still have the issue with iOS 10.3.3. Very frustrating and I'm not sure who can address the issue (Audi or Apple). Thanks.
If you are seeing this, it's got to be a phone problem? I've never, ever seen this, with 300+ days of CarPlay usage. I've had an iPhone 6 Plus and a 7 Plus, running iOS 9, 10, and 11, and haven't ever experienced this. It's worth talking to Apple, very unlikely to be Audi's fault.

Quick Reply: Navigation problems using Carplay