A4 (B9 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B9 Audi A4 2017-

Navigation system totally unreliable

Search this Thread

Old 01-07-2019, 06:05 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by SCarGuy

I’ve extensively used both in my S4,
as well as standard Apple maps. Have yet to find one significantly better, or worse, than the other. It is completely dependent on the area that you drive in. There are multiple times Waze simply wont load the info, but Apple maps pulls it right up. Also, in the area I tend to be in, Waze routinely tells me I’ve arrived, when there is still half a block to go. In an urban setting, that can be annoying at best. All have worked and also let me down.

To each their own.
hmmm. I have used gps navigation devices since their inception. And with the exception of this years audi implementation I have yet to be disappointed. Of particular note the latest Garmin maps are FAR superior. I also find that the latest google maps used in CarPlay to equally superior. I can not recall the abysmal failures we have experienced on this trip with any of our previous devices. I still contend that Audi has lowered the bar on this implementation. And we will only use as a general guide between cities. The details of where we are going will be handled by other more competent platforms.

i teresting note, yesterday, it told us to go straight when to road came to a Vee! Even the announcement was limited and late! Lol...lol..what a joke!

your right..to each his own.
Old 01-07-2019, 06:13 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 1,091 Likes on 770 Posts

Originally Posted by HyperS4
Fair enough. But using any type of navigation, you should have some smarts about it. Know the address you're looking for, look on google earth to see what the destination looks like(landmarks?), this way if it says you arrived but you're still a block away, you know the address and what the place looks like. Just saying. People that rely only on navigation without paying attention, are the ones that end up in lakes....
I’d say I have the address 70% of the time. The rest would be stores and such where I’m just inputting the name in. With Waze, just as an example, one destination, which I’ve been to before, which I used Waze to get me to before, it simply said it couldn’t find it. Plugged it into Apple maps and it pulled up right away. These aren’t frequent, but it’s happened several times. I’m sure any number of external factors can cause this.

The bulk of the time, with an address, it’s not always possible to know the visual side or even what # corresponds to what piece of property. I’ll often visit a client at their office, and if you’re in corporate park, or, a campus setting with lots of buildings belonging to one company, you can definitely end up driving in a bit of a circle lol if all the buildings look similar and #s aren’t always easy to find (houses too). But again, that’s gonna happen almost regardless until you’ve been there at least once and make a mental note.
Old 01-07-2019, 06:21 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Originally Posted by Jcampbell3

hmmm. I have used gps navigation devices since their inception. And with the exception of this years audi implementation I have yet to be disappointed. Of particular note the latest Garmin maps are FAR superior. I also find that the latest google maps used in CarPlay to equally superior. I can not recall the abysmal failures we have experienced on this trip with any of our previous devices. I still contend that Audi has lowered the bar on this implementation. And we will only use as a general guide between cities. The details of where we are going will be handled by other more competent platforms.

i teresting note, yesterday, it told us to go straight when to road came to a Vee! Even the announcement was limited and late! Lol...lol..what a joke!

your right..to each his own.
my first car with Nav was my then-new ‘00 S4. I also had an Alpine system at the same time in another car which was exponentially better - you could type in a phone # of a biz, for example, and it would get you there, or restaurant by cuisine type. I suspect the former is virtually impossible in the current climate of VOIP etc.

Audi does not make nav software. They buy it, from one of the largest global suppliers out there for the auto world. They don’t make the hardware either, it’s out sourced. What Audi isn’t doing (unless you ask it to), is track you. Any other app based nav system I’m aware of is doing just that, even when you’re not using the system. Same for the various insurance company apps. I’ve had many clients for whom this is a major concern.

I am sure there is a reason why the big players haven’t integrated Waze, for example, into their factory systems.
Old 01-07-2019, 06:34 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 1,065 Likes on 740 Posts

I’ve extensively used both in my S4,
as well as standard Apple maps. Have yet to find one significantly better, or worse, than the other. It is completely dependent on the area that you drive in. There are multiple times Waze simply wont load the info, but Apple maps pulls it right up. Also, in the area I tend to be in, Waze routinely tells me I’ve arrived, when there is still half a block to go. In an urban setting, that can be annoying at best. All have worked and also let me down.

To each their own.
Totally agree. I've followed these kinds of threads for a while and I also use various systems extensively and came to the same conclusion. Waze has actually let me down more than any other system, including the MMI and I recently uninstalled it from my phone after it started to mysteriously drain my battery in the background after a recent update. Not sure what's going on with OP's system, but I also don't have as much experience with the latest nav in the current cars. But, the system in my 2013 RS5 has so far gotten me reliably to where I needed to go and the times I've used the newer system for long road trips I've never had an issue. I do rent current Audis once in a while for road trips when my car isn't suitable. My biggest issue right now is that the new myAudi app on iOS doesn't work for me and the old MMI connect app has been discontinued. When sending a destination from my phone, it's missing most of the address information and I can't navigate to it anymore. Brought the issue to AoA's attention and it's being looked into.

These things do depend heavily on where one lives and what you are trying to use the system for. The map data can vary widely between different regions. In-car navigation systems are generally better for longer trips. They don't work well if you are trying to use them as a way to speed up your commute. They are all designed to use major roads in order to keep the traffic on roads that are designed for it. Google Maps and Waze are indeed causing issues in many Metropolitan areas because of sending traffic through residential neighborhoods that can't handle it. It's becoming a big issue around here and city planners are in high gear redesigning streets etc. to keep these apps from clogging up neighborhoods.

Personally, I use navigation mostly for road trips. My weapon of choice to battle traffic is to not drive during busy times. Fortunately, I'm at a place professionally where I don't need to commute to an office and can do my work from the comfort of my home.
Old 01-07-2019, 08:29 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 26 Likes on 19 Posts

Originally Posted by HyperS4
Im still amazed that people try to use standard navigation when Waze is significantly better.
+1
Old 01-07-2019, 02:37 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 51 Likes on 38 Posts

I do not have a smart phone, so that is the likely reason I don't use Waze.
To me the worst thing about the NAV in my car is entering an address. With my last 4 Audi's with NAV it was easy. With this car it takes forever and frequently shows streets, cities, states, etc. that I never mentioned in my input. 5 1/2 months into this car and NAV input still drives me crazy.
The only real complaint I have had with NAV beyond that point is the fact that the voice (after giving a few updates with distances as you near the next turn), says "turn left now" (or whatever) a good 300 feet before the actual turning point. Now, I am smart enough not to drive onto someone's lawn just because NAV told me too, but I find it annoying. They can get the change in speed limit down to about 15-20 feet by my observation, but tell you the wrong place to turn. In some areas I go, the "turn now" direction, if fully followed, would result in turning onto the wrong street. Just bothers me.
Sort of like the Sleep Number TV ad that starts "this is not a bed, it is a revolution...", then says I can get "this bed" for a big discount. "What bed?" I think to myself, "you just told me the thing is not a bed". Too literal for my own good I guess.
Old 01-07-2019, 02:43 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Having owned 9 to date, I can't fathom how entering an address into an 18 A4 is harder than any previous generation. Even if you don't use the handwriting recognition, and purely the manual keyboard, it's easier, and responds faster
Old 01-07-2019, 05:07 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 16 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by irenesbob
I do not have a smart phone, so that is the likely reason I don't use Waze.
<takes a deep breath> But...but...but...what if you desperately need to Google something, or see what *just happened* on Twitter??
Old 01-07-2019, 05:50 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Having owned 9 to date, I can't fathom how entering an address into an 18 A4 is harder than any previous generation. Even if you don't use the handwriting recognition, and purely the manual keyboard, it's easier, and responds faster
You seem reasonable, so I will try again soon.

Old 01-07-2019, 05:53 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Originally Posted by rccoleman
<takes a deep breath> But...but...but...what if you desperately need to Google something, or see what *just happened* on Twitter??
Exactly! lol
Most things in life can wait. Besides, I like to focus on one thing at a time - like driving. No Googling, talking, emailing, etc. makes that easier. Also, I am 76 years old and have been retired for some time. I wouldn't even have my old cell phone if I didn't think it could save my life if I get a stroke or heart attack - a concession to old age lol

Quick Reply: Navigation system totally unreliable