A4 (B9 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B9 Audi A4 2017-

Neuspeed Power Module or Burger Motorports JB4

Search this Thread

Old 04-05-2018, 08:23 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Neuspeed Power Module or Burger Motorports JB4

Hi, I´ve been looking to upgrade the performance of my 2017 A4. I have checked both the Neuspeed and the JB4, and am aware that they both have their pros and cons, but I still can´t make up my mind between which to purchase. Any Help??

Thank you in advance!
Old 04-05-2018, 01:28 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Ecastillong
Hi, I´ve been looking to upgrade the performance of my 2017 A4. I have checked both the Neuspeed and the JB4, and am aware that they both have their pros and cons, but I still can´t make up my mind between which to purchase. Any Help??

Thank you in advance!
Right there with you my friend...trying to understand the two as well. If you check in the JB4 post, I got a response that makes a lot of sense to me and I am leaning towards the JB1 so I don't have to get any wiring into the cars OBD port and the gains exceed that of the Neuspeed and it's a tad cheaper too.

This was posted by George at BMS:

The Neuspeed module connects to the two boost sensors so it cannot do mapping per rpm so the boost add is constant. It relies on the ECU to run a constant fueling adaption by first seeing lean conditions at the O2 sensor then providing fuel for the unmeasured boost with a fuel trim.

The JB1 connects to the boost sensors, rpm signal and fuel rail pressure. Instead of relying on the ECU for fueling it matches the unmeasured boost with extra rail pressure keeping the ECU running no adaptions.
The JB4 over and above this also looks at engine parameters for mapping like temp, timing, gear etc. It has the same features as the JB1 but at higher rpm levels it alters the AFR ration as well to a far richer level allowing for more boost to be run and maintaining more timing from the ECU.

Last edited by securityguy; 04-05-2018 at 01:30 PM.
Old 04-05-2018, 04:25 PM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I've had both, so I'll say what I can.

I originally purchased the Neuspeed because JBx wasn't available at the time.

Neuspeed was a super easy install with only two connectors. I could install and remove it in less than two minutes. It has two maps and I only ever ran the base one which I think Neuspeed says is +5psi increase. I remember the boost coming on fast and strong at around 3000rpm and seemed to continue on hard until redline. The sudden increase in boost was almost too much at times when accelerating if pressing the gas a bit too much. I really liked it, but when JBx came out, I picked up the JB4 because it claimed higher gains over the Neuspeed.

The JB4 install was a lot more involved. Getting the ODB2 connector through the rubber seal in the firewall and removing the lower dash was a bit challenging, and time consuming. There are easier methods for getting the cable into the cabin by routing the cable around the hood and door which are much easier. The JB4 is much more linear in power and doesn't come on as strong, probably because it adjusts boost based on engine RPM and possibly other factors. The base map tops out at +4psi and is fully user adjustable from there. With the boost coming on in stages rather than all at once, it may improve the lifespan of the turbo and other components instead of hammering all the boost in at once - although under hard acceleration the +4psi comes on fast anyway, so it's hard to say what, if any long term improvements in longevity there will be anyway over the Neuspeed. I also chose to add on the Bluetooth connect kit and JB4 app which is really neat for monitoring boost and other things.

Overall I was very satisfied with both, but would get the JB4 over the Neuspeed.
Old 04-06-2018, 06:16 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Thanks for the info!! I think I am going to go for the JB1 because it is easier to install than the JB4. I´m afraid I might break something when trying to rip the plastic nipple in the car to pass the cable into the OBD port.
Old 04-09-2018, 07:29 PM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Originally Posted by Ecastillong
Thanks for the info!! I think I am going to go for the JB1 because it is easier to install than the JB4. I´m afraid I might break something when trying to rip the plastic nipple in the car to pass the cable into the OBD port.

its really not that hard to take the plastic cover of and if you don’t feel comfortable like the previous poster said there are other methods of routing, it’s totally worth it over the nuespeed the jb4 just pulls harder, feels smoother, and you get a lot more options. But either way you have the option to add the jb4 connect kit later, I use map 2 and beat my bro’s 2018 s4 so it’s defiantly worth the extra time and money for the jb4 connect. Just my 2cents.
Old 04-10-2018, 02:07 AM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by asimaudi

its really not that hard to take the plastic cover of and if you don’t feel comfortable like the previous poster said there are other methods of routing, it’s totally worth it over the nuespeed the jb4 just pulls harder, feels smoother, and you get a lot more options. But either way you have the option to add the jb4 connect kit later, I use map 2 and beat my bro’s 2018 s4 so it’s defiantly worth the extra time and money for the jb4 connect. Just my 2cents.

The way I read his post he's not interested in the Neuspeed but the JB1. I am looking at the JB1 as well. It doesn't appear from the specs that you get that much more out of the JB4 and the JB1 is easier to install. I'd really like to get the APR+ but for $1099 with the warranty I am not sure it's worth the difference in price but you do get a substantial amount more torque with the APR tune.
Old 04-11-2018, 06:38 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

I've used NPM, JB4, and have an APR tune now (in the sequence listed)

From a performance/power output perspective, JB4 is better than NPM in my opinion. However, NPM is an improvement over stock.
The reason I left JB4 is the effort to remove/install it which is why I then went the APR (non plus) route and assumed the warranty risk. I needed to take my car in for maintenance and to replace a flat tire this past winter and the weather was brutally cold and it made the removal of JB4 extremely difficult. I ended up installing NPM after the maintenance instead of the JB4 because of the simplicity.

I know the warranty risks of the APR and was willing to accept it as I have a great local VW/AUDI shop that has been doing all of the work on my car including the 20K service.
Old 04-11-2018, 11:54 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 44 Likes on 41 Posts

Originally Posted by Rick Cheung

From a performance/power output perspective, JB4 is better than NPM in my opinion. However, NPM is an improvement over stock.
The reason I left JB4 is the effort to remove/install it which is why I then went the APR (non plus) route and assumed the warranty risk. I needed to take my car in for maintenance and to replace a flat tire this past winter and the weather was brutally cold and it made the removal of JB4 extremely difficult. I ended up installing NPM after the maintenance instead of the JB4 because of the simplicity.

I know the warranty risks of the APR and was willing to accept it as I have a great local VW/AUDI shop that has been doing all of the work on my car including the 20K service.
That is the only reason why I haven’t gotten the JB4 and sticking to my Racechip. I would’ve got a JB4 in a heartbeat if it was easier to install.
Old 04-11-2018, 02:05 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by Rick Cheung

Can you feel a significative power difference between APR tune and the JB4?
Old 04-11-2018, 02:31 PM
AudiWorld Member

The APR tune is rated at 306 HP and 376 lb-ft TQ. The torque is far greater than the JB4 but HP is in range.

Quick Reply: Neuspeed Power Module or Burger Motorports JB4