A4 (B9 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B9 Audi A4 2017-

OEM 10.1” screen conversion

Search this Thread

Old 03-25-2024, 06:00 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

My order snip(Feb 2024) looks pretty much the same, with the input and output on the same side of the decoder. The price was adjusted afterwards to about 167 USD. Meanwhile, that product was removed from the website and was added as a new one, so all the reviews/questions/order numbers were lost, if I recall correctly.

However, the received product looks different, has the connections on opposite ends and has no label or instructions on it. BTW this seems to be the winner one for me, didn't see any distortion or purple line until now.

Old 04-12-2024, 10:33 PM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

On a simpler point than purple lines, I would be interested to know if anybody has a good method for securing the box behind the dash. I glued a bit of high density foam to mine and just put it in there - haven't had any noise / vibration problems yet but I would like it to be more elegant really.
Old 05-01-2024, 02:17 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 24 Likes on 20 Posts

Do I need to remove the tab on the cars blue connector so that it will fit into the adapter box's black connector? I've seen it suggested that you do need to and someone else said you don't need to modify anything. I think I need to unless I've made some big mistake somewhere!

Blue connector doesn't fit. Just one tab blocking it I think.

This is right, isn't it?

What's in the box, since nobody showed that yet.
Old 05-01-2024, 02:33 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 722 Likes on 501 Posts

What does your label on the box look like in terms of dip switch settings.
Where did you buy it from i.e. exact link?

My guess is that there are 2 versions of these boxes. One with the input and output on the same side and another with them at opposite ends.

This could also explain the difference in people's experiences with them.
Old 05-01-2024, 02:53 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 1,922 Likes on 1,632 Posts

Jet black and Signal blue and Water blue are of the same cable orientation (locking tab is on the side opposite from the PCB). The colors do not otherwise signify anything critical. But they are keyed, except for Water blue, which has no keying. You'd use different colors on a device to organize which cable goes to which port. But the purpose can be whatever you want it to be. So if you need the Signal blue cable to go into the Jet black device, you'll have to do some filing. In this case, of the tab at "7:30" on the Signal blue connector (near the "3").

Now that said, that assumes the Signal blue goes into the Jet black. Water blue is the "universal". Any color cable can plug into the Water blue device, and the Water blue cable can plug into any color device. Again, we're sticking with colors related to the "down/left/right" orientations. So it could be the Signal blue cable goes into the Water blue device port and the Water blue cable goes into the Jet black device port. Then no filing is necessary. I haven't been following the thread regarding the devices, but that's some info on HSD colors.
Old 05-01-2024, 06:41 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 35 Likes on 26 Posts

Don't know if this will help : FAKRA + HSD (delock.com)
I believe the colors on mine matched up as did the plugs.
The following users liked this post:
paradyne (05-01-2024)
Old 05-01-2024, 08:23 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by paradyne
Do I need to remove the tab on the cars blue connector so that it will fit into the adapter box's black connector? I've seen it suggested that you do need to and someone else said you don't need to modify anything. I think I need to unless I've made some big mistake somewhere!
Had the same problem and I removed it, I think I used a knife or a sharper screwdriver.
The following 2 users liked this post by cataelk:
chemengin (05-02-2024), paradyne (05-01-2024)
Old 05-01-2024, 08:56 AM
AudiWorld Member

I bought this one: https://www.aliexpress.com/item/1005006458191550.html
I have translated the text on the label and it says the water blue connector is for the display and the black one is for the host (MMI). I also searched for any photos people had posted of successful installs and they all have the cars blue plug going to the black socket on the box. And then the cable (with additional electronics part way along) matching the colours at the box end and display end. That also ensures the cable is coming out of the display in the right direction.
Since the blue plug can't fit into the black socket, I'll presume that everyone else cut off the tab to do it.
I'll try copying DIP switch settings from photos I found of successful installs.

Old 05-01-2024, 01:41 PM
AudiWorld Member

I tried again this evening, and I managed to get a picture! I tried various settings and was able to get it without any lines or distortion or shifting. Then I started fitting it in place but hit a major problem.

When I turned it on again the screen was blank, no backlight no image. After removing it again and experimenting it turns out the decoder box will only power on correctly if the cable from the MMI is connected while the MMI is on. There is a bright red LED in the decoder box for power. If I leave the MMI off for a minute it shuts down the power but the red light will not come on again until I remove the cable from it and reconnect, while the MMI is on.

Anybody seen this or have any ideas? I tried many switch settings but nothing affected the power behaviour. I had to put the original screen back so I'm kind of stuck now :-(

Initially it seemed to work.

Plug in the cable and it works great (other settings had no purple line). Red light inside decoder.

After a power cycle of the MMI/car, it will not come back on again, just the sound form the radio. No red light now.
Old 05-01-2024, 10:55 PM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by christoph19
On a simpler point than purple lines, I would be interested to know if anybody has a good method for securing the box behind the dash. I glued a bit of high density foam to mine and just put it in there - haven't had any noise / vibration problems yet but I would like it to be more elegant really.
On my first attempt, I tried putting in the 10.1 display with no convertor box and (IIRC) it was necessary to take a sharp knife to the connector. It didnt work that way so I bought one of the original convertors (connectors same side) which would not have required the connectors gender modification.

Thanks for the internal pics; does anybody have an internal pic of the "same side" box to share?

Quick Reply: OEM 10.1” screen conversion