A4 (B9 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B9 Audi A4 2017-

OMG. Scratch! Help please.

Search this Thread

Old 11-07-2016, 04:09 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 46 Likes on 33 Posts
Default OMG. Scratch! Help please.

I'm upset. I don't even want to discuss details. No clue how it happened... but it did. It is what it is. Bottom part of rear left door.

Any help on how I can do this myself would be greatly appreciated!

Thank you

Old 11-07-2016, 04:20 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Dr. Colorchip... google it...
Old 11-07-2016, 04:42 PM
VM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 50 Likes on 39 Posts

Eeeeek. I scratched the plastic on top of my mirror, and 'my' attempts at fixing it (mostly asking people who do this type of thing for a living... all of whom refused to charge me, but then did an incomplete job)... have not been perfect. (It now has too much clearcoat...)

Step 1, probably, would be to get the touch-up paint from the dealer... it's about $20CAD, IIRC.

Step 2, fill in the crack with the blue paint.

Step 3, clearcoat.
Old 11-07-2016, 06:04 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 21 Likes on 21 Posts

It looks like the scratch is in the clear coat. It is big and it has to be wet sanded. You might want to ask for a price at a collision shop and get the details.

Get it done right. If you screw it up, you're going to see it every time you open the drivers door.
Old 11-07-2016, 06:38 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

I had a rock fall off a truck and hit my my hood leaving a gash in the clear coat and a small dent a few weeks after I had bought my car.

Cost at a certified Audi Collision shop was $400 bucks. However, I have a $100 deductible for comprehensive, so it wasn't too bad. Biggest hassle was waiting a couple weeks for an opening in their schedule and then a few days to fix it while having to drive a rental. Couldn't tell there was ever a scratch or dent there afterwards though.
Old 11-07-2016, 06:40 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 81 Likes on 61 Posts

Really sorry to hear about that. Yes, it looks like it needs to be wet sanded.

If it makes you feel any better, I've now gotten two dents in mine and one is really deep. Hopefully paintless dent removal will take it out.
Attached Images  
Old 11-07-2016, 06:59 PM
VM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 50 Likes on 39 Posts

Originally Posted by yareally
Cost at a certified Audi Collision shop was $400 bucks. However, I have a $100 deductible for comprehensive, so it wasn't too bad. Biggest hassle was waiting a couple weeks for an opening in their schedule and then a few days to fix it while having to drive a rental. Couldn't tell there was ever a scratch or dent there afterwards though.
Things must be very different where you live. Here in Ontario where both the OP and I live, I can't imagine we'd ever make an insurance claim for this small an amount... not worth your premiums going up for 6 years...
Old 11-07-2016, 07:03 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Collision raises your rates, not comprehensive (at least here in the US). Rock hitting your car is treated the same as if someone smashed your window or hail damage. If it were a collision claim (where I was at fault), my deductible would be $1000. Having an expensive new car, it can be worth having a lower deductible for comprehensive.

A third category of claim is called comprehensive, which can cover such things as theft, hail damage or a tree falling onto a vehicle. The typical comprehensive claim came to $1,585. But perhaps more importantly, the study found insurance companies raised rates after a single one of these claims by a modest 2 percent. “So, it makes sense to file those,” said Adams.
Filing claims can double your auto insurance premiums - NBC News

Last edited by yareally; 11-07-2016 at 07:11 PM.
Old 11-08-2016, 11:02 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by yareally
Cost at a certified Audi Collision shop was $400 bucks.

Sorry, but this made me laugh. I have long held that the cover charge at a body shop is $400. It seems impossible to get anything done for less.
Old 11-08-2016, 12:02 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

This past weekend my wife opened the passenger door and I heard the bottom of the door scrape on the high curb. I haven't even had the guts to look yet.

Quick Reply: OMG. Scratch! Help please.