A4 (B9 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B9 Audi A4 2017-

One month impressions from a first-time Audi owner

Search this Thread

Old 07-15-2017, 05:37 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default One month impressions from a first-time Audi owner

In four days, it'll have been a month since I took delivery of my 2017 Audi A4 Premium Plus (Quattro, Tech package, Brilliant Black).

It's been quite an adjustment from my old Civic, to be sure, but it's been incredible. I was worried this car wouldn't cut it as an every-day driver, but it's more versatile than I thought possible.

Just today, I drove into town from my girlfriend's place about 20 miles south of where I live--my first time doing it in the new car. Since I'm still a bit unfamiliar with the roads, I used navigation with Virtual Cockpit. It was fantastic, and not as confusing as Siri-guided navigation can be. I also got 36 mpg while driving primarily in Dynamic.

I'm still figuring some things out--I have no idea how to use the paddle shifters, and I need to learn how to plan a route using the Navigation system. Also, has anyone noticed it takes a bit more effort than you'd think to accelerate from a dead stop when in Drive? That's an observation, not a gripe. My Civic could never make up its mind between leisurely starts and blasting off, so it may just be my old habits.

But TL;DR--it's not hard to see why this car has so many fans, especially this generation.
Old 07-15-2017, 05:58 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

This thread is worthless without pictures. LOL glad you love your A4, now show us your baby!
Old 07-15-2017, 06:00 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Let me get a few on my phone, and I'll update this thread!
Old 07-15-2017, 06:57 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Paddle shifters can either be used in full manual mode, or when in auto to flick down a gear or two for a quick overtake.

You may also know, or not, that you can push the gear stick to the right to drive in manual also.
Old 07-15-2017, 02:20 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Originally Posted by Sevenspinner
In four days, it'll have been a month since I took delivery of my 2017 Audi A4 Premium Plus (Quattro, Tech package, Brilliant Black).

It's been quite an adjustment from my old Civic, to be sure, but it's been incredible. I was worried this car wouldn't cut it as an every-day driver, but it's more versatile than I thought possible.

Just today, I drove into town from my girlfriend's place about 20 miles south of where I live--my first time doing it in the new car. Since I'm still a bit unfamiliar with the roads, I used navigation with Virtual Cockpit. It was fantastic, and not as confusing as Siri-guided navigation can be. I also got 36 mpg while driving primarily in Dynamic.

I'm still figuring some things out--I have no idea how to use the paddle shifters, and I need to learn how to plan a route using the Navigation system. Also, has anyone noticed it takes a bit more effort than you'd think to accelerate from a dead stop when in Drive? That's an observation, not a gripe. My Civic could never make up its mind between leisurely starts and blasting off, so it may just be my old habits.

But TL;DR--it's not hard to see why this car has so many fans, especially this generation.
It's the start stop feature. The engine turns off when you stop for more than a moment to save gas.
Old 07-15-2017, 02:30 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by ztreb185
It's the start stop feature. The engine turns off when you stop for more than a moment to save gas.
I think he means the turbo lag
Old 07-15-2017, 02:35 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts

My wife complained when first switching from Toyota to Audi.

Japanese cars seem to me to have a hair-trigger pedal feel that makes the brakes and throttle jump on as soon as your feet touch the pedal. I've always found the Audi pedal feel to be very linear and that means you push more pedal angle to get moderate braking or moderate throttle, while having fine control at the top of the pedal travel to feather the brakes or give a very light throttle input. The Toyota always felt more like an on/off switch, or instantly 20% on as soon as I hit the pedal, giving me a comically rough stop at the first stop sign after our garage whenever I first drove her old car after a long spell only using the Audi.
Old 07-15-2017, 04:27 PM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by emailrob
I think he means the turbo lag
It's not turbo lag. It's the DSG transmission.
Old 07-15-2017, 04:31 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by BiscuitEmbryo
It's not turbo lag. It's the DSG transmission.
Ah ok. Well.it's.definitely not start stop.😿
Old 07-15-2017, 09:01 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Read your owners manual to answer most questions. A must do for any new car.

Quick Reply: One month impressions from a first-time Audi owner