A4 (B9 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B9 Audi A4 2017-

Parking brake issue

Search this Thread

Old 05-23-2018, 11:20 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Parking brake issue

I have a 2017 A4 Prestige with less than 14K miles. Last four months or so, after driving in rain and letting the car
sit in the garage for up to 24 hours with the parking brake on, it occasionally locks up and will not release until I hit the
throttle hard. It then releases with a loud bang. Very disconcerting. I always manually release the parking brake before
trying to back out. Sometimes its OK, sometimes it is lockd up. So far the dealer has been unable to replicate.
Problem is getting progressively worse. Anybody experience this or have any suggestions? Thanks!
Old 05-23-2018, 11:48 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

I've not any idea how to fix, but I might recommend backing into your parking spot so you can drive forward to release the brake should the switch not allow you to deactivate it.
Old 05-23-2018, 04:03 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 162 Likes on 116 Posts

That is normal. Rust is forming on the brake disks and causing the pads to stick a little. It happens to me after I wash or rain, it can even do when the parking brake is not on. The effect will probably be less if you do not put the parking brake on in the garage. If you have a manual just leave it in gear, I assume your garage is level.
Old 05-23-2018, 04:58 PM
VM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 50 Likes on 39 Posts

I've certainly noticed the 'loud bang' after the car has been sitting for half a day or whatever after rainy weather. In my experience it usually happens after putting the car in drive and releasing the brake pedal.

I'm not sure this really has anything to do with the parking brake per se, or just the brakes in general...

Is your car a DSG or manual?
Old 05-23-2018, 06:11 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

DSG. I’ve had a number of electro-mechanical parking brakes in the past and never had this kind of problem.
Car is almost 2 years old and no problem til last four months and progressively more violent getting it to
break loose. You can hear it when the parkimg brake is applied, but no sound when it is switchd off on the times it is lockd
up. I suspect some kind of intermittant switch or actuater problm. Dealer still has the car so we will see what they say.
Thanks.
Old 05-23-2018, 06:17 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Yup, normal. If I wash my car and don't take a spin around the block to evaporate the rotors, it'll "lock up" when I start it the next morning
Old 05-23-2018, 08:06 PM
VM
AudiWorld Senior Member

I wonder what's up with the brakes and why they are so sensitive. I know when I get my car washed, the brakes are extremely touchy for the next couple of kms.

One theory a friend mentioned - in a torque converter automatic, you need to have more boosted brakes to compensate for the torque converter. With the DSG, presumably the clutch disengages when you touch the brake pedal, so the brakes don't need to battle a creeping car and would be less boosted...
Old 05-24-2018, 04:04 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 162 Likes on 116 Posts

Originally Posted by VM
One theory a friend mentioned - in a torque converter automatic, you need to have more boosted brakes to compensate for the torque converter. With the DSG, presumably the clutch disengages when you touch the brake pedal, so the brakes don't need to battle a creeping car and would be less boosted...
Nope. Audi uses the same brakes and boost on all transmissions in a model line. By your logic there would be a difference between regular automatics and manual transmissions since manuals also disengage the clutch fully. There is no difference in the brakes in these cars.
Old 05-24-2018, 07:38 PM
VM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Originally Posted by SchwarzS6
Nope. Audi uses the same brakes and boost on all transmissions in a model line. By your logic there would be a difference between regular automatics and manual transmissions since manuals also disengage the clutch fully. There is no difference in the brakes in these cars.
That was my friend's logic, not mine...

That being said - aren't the only available options with the 2.0T the manual and the DSG? Is there any engine on the B9 offered with a torque converter auto other than the S4 3.0, which presumably has different brakes anyways...
Old 05-24-2018, 09:06 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by Nostromo
Yup, normal. If I wash my car and don't take a spin around the block to evaporate the rotors, it'll "lock up" when I start it the next morning
I have to admit, I'm impressed with how quickly a fairly extensive patina of rust can appear (overnight) on my car's rotors after a rainy day.

I don't recall that with previous cars but wonder a bit if the relatively open wheel design or OEM pad choice for stock 2018 allroads contribute to it.

Quick Reply: Parking brake issue