A4 (B9 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B9 Audi A4 2017-

Petition to save Audi manual transmissions in USA

Search this Thread

Old 08-20-2018, 10:41 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Petition to save Audi manual transmissions in USA

Hi everyone. I found there was a petition floating around to save the Audi manuals in USA. Audi announced that it wants to cut manuals from 2019 models in the US, but I've seen many of us on these forums own one. I personally own one and really love it. Anyways thought I'd put it here in case anyone is interested in signing.

I also recommend contacting Audi to tell them that a manual really matters to you for your next Audi. Otherwise us manual lovers would have to go for BMW or another brand, which most of us here don't want to. Audi makes great manual transmissions as well.

Petition link: https://www.change.org/p/audi-usa-sa...audi-a4-and-a5

Not sure how much impact it will have, but in the past some brands like BMW, Jaguar, and Porsche did bring certain manual transmission vehicles back due to strong backlash when they dropped the manual option. So always worth a shot.

Last edited by robertdavidlee; 08-20-2018 at 11:18 PM.
Old 08-21-2018, 02:17 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 102 Likes on 81 Posts

This will not change anything. The decision is already made. Given that less than 5% of the A4/A5 market in the US was for a manual, it makes absolutely no financial sense to continue to offer them here. The cost to certify/federalize them outweighs any profit made from selling them here.
Old 08-21-2018, 02:41 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

Unless each signature was on a blank check, don't expect anything.
Old 08-21-2018, 06:57 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by 19hole
This will not change anything. The decision is already made. Given that less than 5% of the A4/A5 market in the US was for a manual, it makes absolutely no financial sense to continue to offer them here. The cost to certify/federalize them outweighs any profit made from selling them here.
https://www.caranddriver.com/reviews/2018-audi-a4-20t-quattro-manual-labor-of-love-test-review

This article points out A4 is 6% and A5 is 10%. But even if we assume 5%, there are cars with lower take rates that still offer a manual transmission. I believe the take rates were around the same for the b8.5 generation too, but Audi still brought the manuals for the b9 for 2017 and 2018. They were sold as a no cost option too, rather than for $1000 less. Lastly, do cars need to be certified or federalized every single year? Somewhere I remember it was once every generation or something. Typically dropping a manual model within the same generation is not too common.
Old 08-21-2018, 08:43 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 51 Likes on 38 Posts

The best petition would have been a larger number of Audi buyers over the last few years opting to get the standard transmission. It seems to me Audi buyers have voted on this issue with their leases and purchases. Even so, I hope the petition succeeds so those who still really want to shift for themselves have that option. Perhaps Audi should charge a premium for the standard transmission - if I really wanted one I'd gladly pay a few thousand more bucks for it. Instead of calling it a "standard" transmission perhaps thinking of it as an optional "performance sport" option could give the manual stick a desirability boost.
Old 08-21-2018, 09:01 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I hope the petition succeeds. Especially, if Audi is told they will lose us to BMW or upcoming Genesis G70. I think they will hear us. I have signed the petition and requesting others to sign as well.
Old 08-21-2018, 09:13 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Unfortunately BMW kills manual on upcoming 3 series so nothing can help. People just don’t buy them as “new”, that’s sad.
Old 08-21-2018, 09:43 AM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by Wynnnj1977
Unfortunately BMW kills manual on upcoming 3 series so nothing can help. People just don’t buy them as “new”, that’s sad.
Really? That is sad. oh well. hopefully Genesis will prevail.
Old 08-21-2018, 09:47 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by jarnailh
Really? That is sad. oh well. hopefully Genesis will prevail.
I wanted to wait for 2019 model but because Audi kills manual so I decided to get 2018 monsoon gray, premium plus 6MT instead and I will pick up later today. So excited!
Old 08-21-2018, 10:06 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 1,091 Likes on 770 Posts

Originally Posted by robertdavidlee
https://www.caranddriver.com/reviews/2018-audi-a4-20t-quattro-manual-labor-of-love-test-review

This article points out A4 is 6% and A5 is 10%. But even if we assume 5%, there are cars with lower take rates that still offer a manual transmission. I believe the take rates were around the same for the b8.5 generation too, but Audi still brought the manuals for the b9 for 2017 and 2018. They were sold as a no cost option too, rather than for $1000 less. Lastly, do cars need to be certified or federalized every single year? Somewhere I remember it was once every generation or something. Typically dropping a manual model within the same generation is not too common.
what cars have lower take rates and still offer a manual?

the take rates being so low, over the years is the exact reason why they've been dropped

Yes, cars need to be federalized for every model year change, even if the car itself did not change

demand simply is not there, and has not been there for ages.

Quick Reply: Petition to save Audi manual transmissions in USA