A4 (B9 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B9 Audi A4 2017-

Quattro not tracking well on icy, patchy roads

Search this Thread

Old 03-19-2019, 10:39 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 15 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by Glisse
Put it in ESC Sport mode and see if it tracks straight on an icy road. From your description the car is engaging wheel specific torque vectoring because one wheel is slipping, the system is slightly braking that wheel and sending torque to the wheel on the other side of the axle. Which is enough to affect the tracking of the car, although it is actually doing its job. You don't like the feel of it moving. Your tyres may be unsuitable to drive on snow/icy roads, but then you don't seem too sure what they actually are. Which says something. Such as not knowing that the type and quality of the tyre is more important than the drive system in these sort of conditions.

Engaging ESC Sport will relax the amount of slip allowed before the system activates, so it will feel a little more like an old RWD barrelling down an icy Minnesota road at 70mph or a FWD Honda, which aren't doing anything much to maintain traction. Although if you want to completely replicate that experience, completely disable the traction system (which I don't recommend).

You will also find, if you had read your manual, that ESC Sport is the preferred traction setting when you are experiencing very low grip. Such as on ice. But also if you are on lousy tyres which are constantly losing traction.

Audi models are calibrated to be running on summer tyres at 7°C / 44°F and above, or winter tyres below that. They are not calibrated to run on all-season tyres. That Audi of America choose to fit them just tells me they are happy to support those drivers who couldn't be bothered changing tyres between a real summer, and a real winter. Fine, but don't complain about grip, or an intrusive traction control calibration. Or perhaps do complain, to Audi of America for choosing a lousy tyre that doesn't work properly with the car, and to the dealer for selling it - they should know better too. They should tell you "If you are buying an Audi because you value traction, then don't put tires on it that compromise traction"

And get the dealer to check your brakes, sounds like you have an issue with one of them. That you have driven 35,000 miles without addressing whatever this issue is that appeared at 20,000 miles seems odd.

And spend a moment re-reading your original post. You really think "quattro" is some scam that has been allowed to run for a few decades, despite it being dangerously unstable compared to a FWD Honda and some old RWD bangers from the past. Or that something isn't right with your car, and you need to do something about it? Which might include changing to a dealership with decent technical staff and the ability to offer some sound advice.
Couldn't said it better.
Old 03-19-2019, 11:54 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I used Michelin X-Ice Xi3 snow tires and drove in a couple of snowstorms in the hilly Seattle area, last month. Not even one slip - I just sailed on by stuck SUVs and Priuses... Quatto along with good tires are unbeatable.
Old 03-19-2019, 02:45 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 887 Likes on 726 Posts

Originally Posted by bob m
What took you so long, Kevin? Sold mine with less than 500 miles on.
‘I am not as smart as you
Old 03-19-2019, 02:47 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 887 Likes on 726 Posts

Originally Posted by 2018 A4
Quatto along with good tires are unbeatable.
Same experience here.
Old 03-19-2019, 03:56 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 49 Likes on 34 Posts

Originally Posted by KevinGary

‘I am not as smart as you
That's funny!
Old 03-19-2019, 04:08 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 49 Likes on 34 Posts

Originally Posted by Glisse
Put it in ESC Sport mode and see if it tracks straight on an icy road. From your description the car is engaging wheel specific torque vectoring because one wheel is slipping, the system is slightly braking that wheel and sending torque to the wheel on the other side of the axle. Which is enough to affect the tracking of the car, although it is actually doing its job. You don't like the feel of it moving. Your tyres may be unsuitable to drive on snow/icy roads, but then you don't seem too sure what they actually are. Which says something. Such as not knowing that the type and quality of the tyre is more important than the drive system in these sort of conditions.

Engaging ESC Sport will relax the amount of slip allowed before the system activates, so it will feel a little more like an old RWD barrelling down an icy Minnesota road at 70mph or a FWD Honda, which aren't doing anything much to maintain traction. Although if you want to completely replicate that experience, completely disable the traction system (which I don't recommend).

You will also find, if you had read your manual, that ESC Sport is the preferred traction setting when you are experiencing very low grip. Such as on ice. But also if you are on lousy tyres which are constantly losing traction.

Audi models are calibrated to be running on summer tyres at 7°C / 44°F and above, or winter tyres below that. They are not calibrated to run on all-season tyres. That Audi of America choose to fit them just tells me they are happy to support those drivers who couldn't be bothered changing tyres between a real summer, and a real winter. Fine, but don't complain about grip, or an intrusive traction control calibration. Or perhaps do complain, to Audi of America for choosing a lousy tyre that doesn't work properly with the car, and to the dealer for selling it - they should know better too. They should tell you "If you are buying an Audi because you value traction, then don't put tires on it that compromise traction"

And get the dealer to check your brakes, sounds like you have an issue with one of them. That you have driven 35,000 miles without addressing whatever this issue is that appeared at 20,000 miles seems odd.

And spend a moment re-reading your original post. You really think "quattro" is some scam that has been allowed to run for a few decades, despite it being dangerously unstable compared to a FWD Honda and some old RWD bangers from the past. Or that something isn't right with your car, and you need to do something about it? Which might include changing to a dealership with decent technical staff and the ability to offer some sound advice.
Well stated and very informative. I did not think about ESC Sport mode, sounds like a good idea. Regarding the summer tires and winter tires being the prefered/recommended offerings in the good ol' USA that just ain't gonna happen.Most people are not going to spring for 2 sets of tires. And I think it's not the best answer because summer tires are crappy at around 40 something degrees. And around here in NE NJ, that would be around late October/early November, but what happens if you get an early cold snap or happen to drive to Maine for example, where it gets colder earlier?
I'm extremely happy with my Michelin's.
Old 03-20-2019, 03:45 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by 2018 A4
I used Michelin X-Ice Xi3 snow tires and drove in a couple of snowstorms in the hilly Seattle area, last month. Not even one slip - I just sailed on by stuck SUVs and Priuses... Quatto along with good tires are unbeatable.
Same here. Love my X-Ice Xi3’s!

Cant believe people are complaining about the Quattro system’s handling on ice with sub-optimal tires. Tires make all the difference!
Old 03-20-2019, 07:34 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 44 Likes on 41 Posts

Like everyone else here, I think it's the tyres. The Cinturato P7s are horrible in snow compared to other AS tyres.
Old 03-20-2019, 08:15 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 55 Likes on 43 Posts

Originally Posted by pdaugh
Brand new Pirelli Centaur? Less than 5000 miles.
Can't find any Centaurs, but Pirelli offers at least 10 different "Cinturato" models. Your symptoms may vary among different models, which may not have the same construction, tread design, or rubber compounds.

Old 03-20-2019, 11:06 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 1,067 Likes on 741 Posts

Originally Posted by bob m
Well stated and very informative. I did not think about ESC Sport mode, sounds like a good idea. Regarding the summer tires and winter tires being the prefered/recommended offerings in the good ol' USA that just ain't gonna happen.Most people are not going to spring for 2 sets of tires. And I think it's not the best answer because summer tires are crappy at around 40 something degrees. And around here in NE NJ, that would be around late October/early November, but what happens if you get an early cold snap or happen to drive to Maine for example, where it gets colder earlier?
I'm extremely happy with my Michelin's.
Americans seem to think they are the only ones with snow and cold spells. The whole all-season tire phenomena is kinda mind boggling. OP kinda lost me once it was clear he is driving on ice with crappy all-season tires. Please, put some proper tires on for the conditions. In Europe the rule of thumb is winter tires from beginning of November to Easter, but there could be very well snow or a cold spell before or after. Everybody has to be the judge of their own situation. If a car is not driving properly, the tires are the first place to start. It's the only thing between the road and the car. The little attention that is given to tires in this country is really kinda scary. Next would be to make sure the alignment is within spec.

Just for comparison, I vacationed in Iceland last year in November. Iceland is known for icy roads, so almost everybody drives around with studded tires. There's a constant click/clack from passing cars due to the studs. It just goes to show that other countries are much more aware of using proper tires for the given conditions.

Last edited by superswiss; 03-20-2019 at 11:09 AM.

Quick Reply: Quattro not tracking well on icy, patchy roads