A4 (B9 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B9 Audi A4 2017-

Quattro vs 4-Matic

Search this Thread

Old 07-30-2016, 12:26 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 29 Likes on 20 Posts

Originally Posted by superswiss
Not unless you speak German. My source is Audi Germany. It's even stated on audi.de that the B9 A4 uses the planetary gear self-locking center differential.

Just a comment on Glisse's post. No current S5 uses the planetary gear set self-locking center differential. The 6MT S5 has the old torsen center diff and the B8.5 S-tronic S5 has the crown-gear self-locking diff. In my experience there is a major difference in driving dynamics between the old torsen and the new self-locking diffs with torque-vectoring, so I don't agree with your assessment. I would never go back to a Quattro with the old torsen diff.

Here's more info on the planetary-gear self-locking center differential. This is not the torsen diff. The torsen works on a different principal.

Self-locking center differential ? Audi Technology Portal

EDIT: Didn't have the link handy anymore. If you do speak German, here's all the info about the A4's powertrain directly from the Audi Germany website. I trust this much more than some blogger that probably mistranslated German information into English.

Motoren und Antrieb > A4 Limousine > A4 > Audi Deutschland
superswiss - thanks for the excellent post, I have been wondering about the centre differential on B9 A4 for a while, at one point I was told that it had Quattro Ultra, (which turned out to be incorrect). Now I understand it has the Crown gear self locking center diff, correct?

Haven't had an Audi for a while, when I test drove the B9 A4 it didn't feel like a Torsen diff, couldn't feel any binding on tight turns so I assumed it was an open centre diff with traction controlled only by brake application at the wheel(s) with lowest traction (I guess this is also happening). Audi's self locking crown gear center diff sounds like good system to me.