A4 (B9 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B9 Audi A4 2017-

Rearcam <<

Search this Thread

Old 10-19-2021, 05:58 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 120 Likes on 82 Posts
Default Rearcam <<

Any of you using a dashcam that includes a camera in your rear window? I want to use such a setup, but the third brake light in my A4 sits right where I'd like to install the camera. I can install it below that, but it seems it would be mounted pretty low on the glass.

I'd appreciate it if somebody would post a photo showing where/how they installed their rear-view camera. Thanks.
Old 10-19-2021, 06:45 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 58 Likes on 49 Posts

I can get a photo later. I have a rear cowitness tucked and wired in, it plugs into the front main unit.. It's right behind the child latch and it works great.
Old 10-19-2021, 08:18 PM
AudiWorld Member

So here it is. I contemplated for a long time, stood there, went into the rear seat, lowered the rear seat, crawled around. Thought the rear 3rd' was ok.

Then realized, I just need it here for a cowitness. And now very glad I did. I would have had to pull the D-pillar which is beyond my old man strength (even though I did suspension on this car, with hand tools about 3 times now, lol). Some stuff just hurts, and this lifted arm thing does.

It's there, it needs a little lifted since that physical pic, but it works, and it works great. Easy wiring, good FOV in the cam to help and not sure what more to talk about. Hope that helps.

Old 10-20-2021, 03:31 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 120 Likes on 82 Posts

Originally Posted by rennen-affe
So here it is. I contemplated for a long time, stood there, went into the rear seat, lowered the rear seat, crawled around. Thought the rear 3rd' was ok.
Then realized, I just need it here for a cowitness. And now very glad I did. I would have had to pull the D-pillar which is beyond my old man strength (even though I did suspension on this car, with hand tools about 3 times now, lol). Some stuff just hurts, and this lifted arm thing does.
It's there, it needs a little lifted since that physical pic, but it works, and it works great. Easy wiring, good FOV in the cam to help and not sure what more to talk about. Hope that helps.

Thanks for the photo!
The following users liked this post:
rennen-affe (10-20-2021)
Old 10-20-2021, 03:45 PM
AudiWorld Member

That's the only exposed wire, too. I could run it other ways, but was the path of least resistance. It's tucked under the lower/darker trim, seats, side trims, footwell trim, A pillar, front window to headliner. Lots of extra work but it's clean.

Now, on second thought... It would have been easier to just wire in a separate rear cowitness and just suction cup it to the rear window. Tap power into the rear 12v plug. Nah, not as much fun!!!

I do like how this is just one control unit, two folders on a single SD card to pull the vids from, AND the time stamps with front and rear match, kinda cool stuff. Also, the front could be direct "mirror tapped" but I'd need a buck converter/5v converter to run the usb, as most of these cams are usb power based.
Old 10-21-2021, 09:52 AM
AudiWorld Uber User

Received 279 Likes on 213 Posts

Could you run the wire under the speaker grill instead?
Old 10-21-2021, 10:00 AM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by Bobby Kinstle
Could you run the wire under the speaker grill instead?
Yes, but it would have more exposed wire with the seat up.

I could probably drill the seat latch cover.

I could probably paint my house with a brush.

But this worked great, didn't require drilling the trunk, removing the trunk liner, feeding more wire, etc. I'm sure you of all people get it. With the seat up, nobody really notices. But your call.