A4 (B9 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B9 Audi A4 2017-

Rearview Mirror Auto-Dimming

Search this Thread

Old 08-07-2016, 10:40 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Rearview Mirror Auto-Dimming

I clicked on the button on the bottom of my rearview mirror and it only turns on/off of the Digital Compass. Anyone know how to turn off the auto-dimming function if desired?
Old 08-07-2016, 04:40 PM
AudiWorld Member

I dont have mine yet but have you looked in the car settings on MMI?
Old 08-07-2016, 05:04 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 113 Likes on 87 Posts

Originally Posted by mrboombakid
I clicked on the button on the bottom of my rearview mirror and it only turns on/off of the Digital Compass. Anyone know how to turn off the auto-dimming function if desired?
Are you clicking the button or holding it down?
Old 08-07-2016, 05:59 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Originally Posted by adg44
Are you clicking the button or holding it down?
When the auto-dimming is activated at night while I'm driving on the freeway, i click the button and it does nothing.

This is what the Manual wrote:
Manual timing rearview
-Pull the lever on the bottom of the mirror back.

Automatic dimming rearview mirror
-The interior and exterior mirrors dim automatically when light shines on them, for example from headlights on a vehicle behind you.

There is no lever. Now that i'm thinking about the manual instructions, it looks like they're talking about the old school mirror that last a lever in the center where you can push it back. smh....

I tried to holding it down for 3-5 seconds, it turned the Digital Compass off, then i hold onto the button for 3-5 secs again, it turned the Digital Compass on.
Old 08-07-2016, 07:10 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Yes, that is why I asked. If you hold it down it will turn off the compass. Just click it once to disable the auto dimming function. It may take a few seconds for the dimming function to be removed and return to "normal".
Old 08-07-2016, 08:44 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Yes, that is why I asked. If you hold it down it will turn off the compass. Just click it once to disable the auto dimming function. It may take a few seconds for the dimming function to be removed and return to "normal".
Thanks! I will give it another try and see.
Old 08-08-2016, 05:59 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

In my experience with previous cars, the auto dimming is a very slow process in general... It's slow to activate and slow to turn off.

I've had an A6 and an A4 with auto-dimming mirrors with very obvious on/off buttons, they generally took 20-30 seconds to return back to their normal 'un-dimmed' state.

The following users liked this post:
Spinmaster7 (09-14-2019)
Old 07-31-2017, 12:32 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Default can't change auto dimming setting

Originally Posted by mrboombakid
I have a 2017 Q7 with rear view and side mirror auto dimming. I referred to the manual regarding turning feature on or off. It does not work. The only thing I can change is turning off compass.
Old 08-01-2017, 06:02 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Originally Posted by digitaldaryl
I have a 2017 Q7 with rear view and side mirror auto dimming. I referred to the manual regarding turning feature on or off. It does not work. The only thing I can change is turning off compass.
The newer mirrors will not turn off the auto dimming function. Only the compass as you described.

If your mirror has an LED light on the button then you can turn off the dimming function. If not, it will only do the compass. Most Audi cars after model year 2017 will not turn off auto dimming.
Old 08-01-2017, 01:25 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 44 Likes on 41 Posts

The newer mirrors will not turn off the auto dimming function. Only the compass as you described.

If your mirror has an LED light on the button then you can turn off the dimming function. If not, it will only do the compass. Most Audi cars after model year 2017 will not turn off auto dimming.
That's what I thought

Edit: I mean, I agree with you.

Quick Reply: Rearview Mirror Auto-Dimming