A4 (B9 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B9 Audi A4 2017-

Repair estimates at 100k km

Search this Thread

Old 01-11-2024, 09:29 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by 142 guy
Front control arm with ball joints - so this is just the upper control arms which is what your picture shows? The upper control arms on the B8 and B9, specifically the rubber bushings in the control arms seem to take it on the chin so earlier that expected replacement may be normal. At 100,000 km yours might be a little earlier than normal.

Your photo of the bushing does not really show the condition of the rubber. If the rubber just has surface cracking, that does not require replacement. Deeper cracks lead to a replacement diagnosis. Unfortunately, examining and assessing the condition of the rubber is somewhat subjective. I am not aware that Audi provides a quantitative assessment such as "cracks deeper than x mm require replacement". If you are getting noise from the suspension then they are probably due for replacement. Meyle who is an OEM supplier for Audi makes HD versions of their bushings. Unfortunately they do no appear to make one for the A4 upper control arms. I am not aware or anybody else claiming to make HD versions of the bushing.
correct, just the upper control arm. whats odd is that the independent shop I took it to advises fixing it but the audi tech who diagnosed it today didn't say anything is wrong
Old 01-11-2024, 11:34 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 102 Likes on 86 Posts

Originally Posted by duffman316
correct, just the upper control arm. whats odd is that the independent shop I took it to advises fixing it but the audi tech who diagnosed it today didn't say anything is wrong
The tech didn't say anything is wrong without your description or he dismissed it even after you pointed it out to him?
As I looked at the bushings on my upper control arms, they all looks sort of having a small crack but very uniform all around each of them. Been like that for at least couple of years since I started checking those myself. Nothing getting worse so I thought that's the way it is.
Old 01-11-2024, 02:51 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by minmet
The tech didn't say anything is wrong without your description or he dismissed it even after you pointed it out to him?
As I looked at the bushings on my upper control arms, they all looks sort of having a small crack but very uniform all around each of them. Been like that for at least couple of years since I started checking those myself. Nothing getting worse so I thought that's the way it is.
I wasn't able to speak with the tech, just the services department rep who insisted the tech is thorough and they trust the opinions of their techs over independent shops

I specifically did mention for them to look at the control arm as part of bringing it in
Old 01-12-2024, 05:05 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 102 Likes on 86 Posts

Originally Posted by duffman316
I wasn't able to speak with the tech, just the services department rep who insisted the tech is thorough and they trust the opinions of their techs over independent shops

I specifically did mention for them to look at the control arm as part of bringing it in
Well, probably are fine then. They would have jumped on it to make money off you if there is slight chance of deterioration and need changes since you are out of warranty already.
Old 01-12-2024, 08:03 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 355 Likes on 273 Posts

Indeed it is a very subjective assessment. I had a 2003 Honda Pilot and about 5 years after purchase I noted surface cracking on the large bushings on the front of the rear axle trailing arms. At the next maintenance interval I asked to have them inspected and they came back as OK. The Service Writer noted that surface cracking is pretty normal. After 18 years I traded the Pilot in on my Allroad and the bushing were still fine.