A4 (B9 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B9 Audi A4 2017-

Retrofitted: Ambient lightning (Just like the Extended LED Interior Lighting Pack)

Search this Thread

Old 03-18-2019, 04:49 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Blok5
Did you have any issue with MMI diming of white door ledstrips? The 3xSMD Gu4 red (weblink you shared) is not dimable.
Doesn't matter if they're dimmable or not, the car uses PWM to adjust the brightness or 'dim' the LEDs, so it works perfectly. 👍🏻
Old 03-18-2019, 06:40 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by JoeAllenPro
Doesn't matter if they're dimmable or not, the car uses PWM to adjust the brightness or 'dim' the LEDs, so it works perfectly. 👍🏻
Thanks for the reply.
Did you solder the +/- wires of Red SMD leds on the wire of white led strip? Or did you bring the wire to the same point like white ledstrip?
Old 03-18-2019, 09:47 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Clear and thanks again.
Did you solder the wires of SMD direct on the wires of Audi white led strips or at the end in the connector?
Old 03-21-2019, 01:17 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Don't use original Audi exit warning leds!!!
This will happen if the original red and constantly on.

Could you check if the G4 red leds are melting the plastic?

Old 03-21-2019, 10:35 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

This is what happened by using original high lumen Audi red led. That one is used originally for exit warning (side assist), but not to work constantly.
Old 03-21-2019, 10:48 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

This is what happened by using original high lumen Audi red led. That one is used originally for exit warning (side assist), but not to work constantly.
Yes I would expect that’s what would happen. I I used these in another interior LED project for the car but I added resistors so they wouldn’t use so much current and get so hot. You can see the details on my other thread. 👍🏻

Edit: It was a 180 ohm resistor that I added to the positive wire. This was plenty to keep it bright but also keep it very cool.

Last edited by JoeAllenPro; 03-21-2019 at 10:50 AM.
Old 03-21-2019, 11:16 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

And G4 RED 3xSMD is not getting hot?
Old 03-21-2019, 11:24 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

And G4 RED 3xSMD is not getting hot?
Nope they don’t, those are designed to be illuminated for long periods of time so they’re perfectly good.
Old 03-21-2019, 11:32 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Your assistance is highly appreciated!!!

What should you advise me regarding these leds?
I received already G4 SMD red leds and have also sufficient red led door modules?

You had soldered the wires to G4 SMD leds. Correct? Is it not better to solder the wires to G4 fitting and to push the G4 led in it?
It is easier to change the led after it.

Are they both (with 180 ohm resistor ans 3xSMD) dimmable together with white door strips?
Old 04-02-2019, 05:56 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 26 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by sbc55
Is possible but just that you need to change many parts as stated in taobao. You will need to change the center air vent, side air vent, center console panel, plus replace all the led modules. If u want, you can buy from taobao because they include everything and include wiring as well, no need to second guess

I have dropped the idea because too many parts need to be replaced. Good luck to you.
The pictures for the kit only show the Q7. I cant get my browser to translate the page either.

I'm in a B9 Allroad. I don't understand why you'd need to change out the vents and center console trim pieces.
My center console already has LEDs in the cup holder and both sides have the light strip.

But what's interesting about this kit is from the pictures at least it shows them changing the color through the MMI? How? Needs coding to enable screen?
Also, what really needs to be done to actually wiring everything up? Is that hard?

This does seem like a lot of work.

I guess I'd be happy if there was a kit or simpler way to upgrade all the LEDs to a different color other than white.
I'd probably be willing to swap some led bulbs out if I meant I could have ambient lighting.

Quick Reply: Retrofitted: Ambient lightning (Just like the Extended LED Interior Lighting Pack)