A4 (B9 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B9 Audi A4 2017-

S.O.S Audi A4 Sim Card Option

Search this Thread

Old 01-23-2018, 09:07 PM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default S.O.S Audi A4 Sim Card Option

Hi, All
I'm frustrated I have Audi A4 (B9-8W2CDG) 2017 LIMITED ,6 months old and I discovered that I have an Sim card slot in the glove compartment.
after reading all the forums ans all the internet I can't find an option to get it working to get the car see the sim and use the data from the sim card and shear it via Hot Spot.
I have Software Version: 1117
can I update the software? can I some how activate the SIM Slot or something.
I think it not a dummy and it disabled by software
I do not have Audi connect, I don't think they seal this function here in my country also I don't see the ICON of Audi connect.
Please someone maybe have a clue what can be done?
Old 01-24-2018, 04:06 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Not if isn't supported in your country, only Audi dealerships can update the Software as well...
Old 01-24-2018, 08:49 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 162 Likes on 116 Posts

Originally Posted by cuke2u
Not if isn't supported in your country, only Audi dealerships can update the Software as well...
The B8-A4 uses an e-sim in most markets but the module in the glove box has a slot for a physical SIM card. My understanding is that this can be enabled using VAG-COM or OBD11. Search the forums and include the Q5 and Q7 forums.
Old 01-24-2018, 11:50 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

I wish there was a like button to this forum...
Old 01-25-2018, 10:32 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 244 Likes on 188 Posts

If this topic is about the SOS emergency call feature, that is not part of the MMI system, it's a separate module with its own eSIM installed under the rear seats if I remember correctly.

In order to enable the external SIM card slot in the MMI head unit, some coding changes can do that regardless of software version, requires OBD11, VCDS or VCP though. In most cases it is more convenient to just share a smartphone though.
Old 02-09-2018, 09:15 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Hi, guys
I got the receipt ion bars to show I used OBD 11 but the reciption is very poor and unstable and comes and gos when I scan the car for faults it shows me gsm antenna - open circuit and gsm antenna 2 - open circuit can’t find the prep for the antenna in the car some one knows where is it connect or located so i’ll Add the part?
Old 02-18-2018, 08:48 PM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Hi, Guy's
I don't know if it's me or the Germans outsmart me
I've tried several thing in my car and nothing works

1. activate the Sim slot in my car - have a good processes with that used OBD11 after activate the LTE_Module and the sim_slot the car recognized the sim but poor cell reception and when I sane for faults it say GSM antenna /GSM antenna 2 - open circuit after reading some forums I believe my car is missing the cellular antennas in the back of the car I ordered them will update If I made it.

2. I try to activate google earth and Audi connect service after playing with OBD11 and activation of Vehicle configuration - Remote_hmi = on Audi connect icon dapper in my MMI - tried connecting by login with PIN i got in the MyAudi site when I registered but no luck every time I get the service is unavailable please try again later for this I tried every thread and turning the data module on/off with cellular date with WIFI on my phone in my home and several wifi's also tried it few days now no luck same message.

3. and fore last I tried to activate the traffic sigh recognize and guess what - doesn't work only say no sighs recognized.

did someone had a luck with one of the thing I try?
please advice maybe I'm missing something.

any help will be appreciated..

Regards,
Old 02-19-2018, 01:44 AM
AudiWorld Super User

All US spec A4 B9 have the roof antenna. If I'm not mistaken there is a TSB out for poor GSM reception where the dealer will fix a cable or connector near the roof antenna.
Old 02-19-2018, 01:55 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Originally Posted by AudiA4B6US
All US spec A4 B9 have the roof antenna. If I'm not mistaken there is a TSB out for poor GSM reception where the dealer will fix a cable or connector near the roof antenna.

I don't know but from what I fund this is the missing parts unrelated to the roof antenna
Attached Thumbnails S.O.S Audi A4 Sim Card Option-image1-1-.png  
Attached Images  
Old 02-19-2018, 01:57 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Those belong to Side Assist.

Quick Reply: S.O.S Audi A4 Sim Card Option